Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 3  (Read 17115 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 3
« Reply #225: June 27, 2007, 10:04:19 PM »
I can't believe the birds are better than we are.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #226: June 27, 2007, 10:07:08 PM »
I'm laughing at myself for being dumb enough to call to complain about not getting to see this game earlier  :? Oh well, at least I got a free movie out of it.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #227: June 27, 2007, 10:08:18 PM »
I'm laughing at myself for being dumb enough to call to complain about not getting to see this game earlier  :? Oh well, at least I got a free movie out of it.

Did you have to ask for it or did they offer?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #228: June 27, 2007, 10:08:25 PM »
I like Schneider.  He is one of the only ones on the team that actually gets pissed off when he makes an out.  Most of the guys just shrug their shoulders and walk back to the dugout. 

Offline spidernat

« Reply #229: June 27, 2007, 10:10:13 PM »
Did you have to ask for it or did they offer?

Those clowns seldom if ever offer anything. I demanded I get the next pay per view fight but he wasn't biting, especially since there isn't one scheduled anytime soon, so he gave me a credit for a movie.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #230: June 27, 2007, 10:11:01 PM »
Langerhans really puzzles me.  I've never seen a guy strike out so much on called strike 3s right down the middle.. What else could he be looking for in that situation? 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #231: June 27, 2007, 10:15:16 PM »
Hold up. I just thought of something. Who really are our "long relievers" right now? Is Traber the only one that fits? Maybe that's why he keeps coming in early. If so, man, that's something we need to make a move on now.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #232: June 27, 2007, 10:17:53 PM »
If you include the stats from the first 7 innings of tonight's game, the Nationals have hit 1 HR in their last 12 games or 1 HR in their last 298 at-bats. 

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #233: June 27, 2007, 10:22:26 PM »
Wow you guys are still watchin?!   :lol:  Just to make the announcement - I posted some more photos of the P-NAT game from yesterday over in the minor league section.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #234: June 27, 2007, 10:23:14 PM »
Come on, Batista. One HR. That's all I ask.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #235: June 27, 2007, 10:23:37 PM »
Langerhans really puzzles me.  I've never seen a guy strike out so much on called strike 3s right down the middle.. What else could he be looking for in that situation? 

It is puzzling. I have to wonder if Atlanta was the best place to start this transition with him to leadoff. But given how feeble the offense has been, it doesn't matter. Everyone may as well stink at the same time.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #236: June 27, 2007, 10:25:07 PM »
Hold up. I just thought of something. Who really are our "long relievers" right now? Is Traber the only one that fits?

Traber is the antithesis of the long reliever. The only reason he is in there tonight was because they needed someone to burn an arm in a lost cause.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #237: June 27, 2007, 10:25:40 PM »
Traber is the antithesis of the long reliever. The only reason he is in there tonight was because they needed someone to burn an arm in a lost cause.

Alright, but who are our long relievers?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #238: June 27, 2007, 10:27:51 PM »
Langerhans' OBP since joining the Nationals was, I think, about .430 before tonight, one of the highest on the team because of walks, so leading off was not a bad idea.

FREE AGENT Buehrle wins for the White Sox on mediocre pitching.  They hit worse than the Nationals, and he's only 5-4 now.  PLEASE tell me that Kasten is physically AT this game.  Manny needs to meet with him and DEMAND that he SPEND the money to get ONE true ace pitcher.

Nationals 0
Braves 13

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #239: June 27, 2007, 10:29:33 PM »
That .430 number is a quite surprising.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #240: June 27, 2007, 10:31:04 PM »
Alright, but who are our long relievers?

Saul Rivera often pitches 2 innings when he comes in.  Does it on consecutive nights, too.  I think they should use John Patterson in long relief, to minimize pressure on his arm.  He doesn't need to be throwing 90 pitches.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #241: June 27, 2007, 10:36:15 PM »
Saul Rivera often pitches 2 innings when he comes in.  Does it on consecutive nights, too.  I think they should use John Patterson in long relief, to minimize pressure on his arm.  He doesn't need to be throwing 90 pitches.
(Image removed from quote.)

Long relievers are those that COULD be situational/spot starters. I don't see Saul as one of those guys. I know Bowie was supposed to be. I truly think that Traber's all we got right now. Speigner was, too, before we had to use him as a starter. I just wonder if the Van Buren deal will somehow fill this void.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #242: June 27, 2007, 10:37:31 PM »
I'm gonna call Fick "Bloops" <---not talking trash, as I said I wouldn't. I'm really gonna do it.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #243: June 27, 2007, 10:38:52 PM »
That .430 number is a quite surprising.

I checked and posted it in last night's Game Thread.  Close:

"through tonight's 4 ABs, Langerhans has:
85 AB, 20 hits, 16 walks, 13 RBIs, 3 HRs, .235 BA, .423 OBP (one of the highest on the team)"

His BA was an AWFUL .067 when the Braves traded him to Oakland.  He got a hit or 2 in his 2 games there and another when he joined us.  He played for 3 teams in ONE week!  He came to a team that wanted him and had a new hitting coach to help.  Looking at YTD BA is deceiving a lot of the time.  Manny has been very slow to respond to anyone's hot streaks in the lineup order.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #244: June 27, 2007, 10:39:41 PM »
I just gained a little more respect for Bloops.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #245: June 27, 2007, 10:40:46 PM »
Fick's dumb baserunning just prevented the Nats from being shutout.  oh well, might as well save all the runs for the weekend series. 
And Jimenez gets out to end the series.  He is now 1/18 (.055 AVG) on the season with the Nats.   :clap:

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #246: June 27, 2007, 10:44:43 PM »
Last Play: R. Belliard doubled to deep left

Belliard > Nationals

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #247: June 27, 2007, 10:46:45 PM »
GAME OVER.  BRAVES SWEEP.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #248: June 27, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »
Long relievers are those that COULD be situational/spot starters. I don't see Saul as one of those guys. I know Bowie was supposed to be. I truly think that Traber's all we got right now. Speigner was, too, before we had to use him as a starter. I just wonder if the Van Buren deal will somehow fill this void.

Sometimes a long reliever is a potential spot starter, but it can also be someone that is simply capable of coming in after a starter exits early and eat up a couple of innings. That means they have to be someone who can be effective against all types of batters.  So Ray King and Traber are out. They would also not be the guys set aside for setup and closer duty.

Before the season the guys who would pull that duty were slated to be Bowie and Speigner, and originally Bergmann. Abreu was a guy they had up for a while, and Wagner was someone they were using that way. As of now, the only guy who really is in the position is Rivera, but Schroder is also being used that way. They really have a choice which is either to have more confidence in a starting rotation to go further or have more guys in the bullpen who really fit the long-reliever description. Right now the combination is not ideal by any stretch. I think with one or two starters being added back, there is an opportunity to move Bascik back to the pen.

Offline Jayman77

« Reply #249: June 27, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »
Christ on a cracker...you guys know that I've usually been positive after a Nats loss (when I can find time away from the baby twins to post here!), but this is absolutely despicable.  I'm almost embarrassed to be a fan of this team right now, enough to the point where I want to go out to my car and take my back window stickers off.  However, I remind myself that a baseball team in Washington is what I always wanted and that I should always be thankful that they came here.  But still, this is deplorable.  Do they even care?  Do they want to win? 

And f*&$ the Braves, too.  I'm actually sort of glad that the Mets are becoming the division frontrunners instead of Atlanta year after year...always winning the division and then choking in the playoffs.

Wake up and play baseball, Nationals  :devil: