Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 162268 times)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2725: June 08, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »
Magner's is good, Strongbow is a win.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2726: June 08, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
I don't know if Bass Pale Ale is considered "good" by the elite company who man this thread, but I enjoyed quite a bit of it last night.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2727: June 08, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »
I don't know if Bass Pale Ale is considered "good" by the elite company who man this thread, but I enjoyed quite a bit of it last night.

It's good in my neighborhood too  ...  particularly on tap.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2728: June 08, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »
Oh c'mon Chief - like any other food item, we all have different tastes.  Bass Pale Ale doesn't have as strong a flavor as an IPA, but has stronger flavor than a pilsner beer, such as Budweiser

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2729: June 08, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »

I'd call it "good". 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2730: June 08, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »
Magner's is good, Strongbow is a win.
Just brought home a 4 pack of tall cans of Stringbow for the pool. Hard cider is an under rated drink for the summer. Light, sweet, refreshing.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #2731: June 08, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »
Just brought home a 4 pack of tall cans of Stringbow for the pool. Hard cider is an under rated drink for the summer. Light, sweet, refreshing.

And apples for breakfast! +1

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2732: June 08, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
So this Blue Moon with the green trim on the label is good

Anyone tried Stella's new apple cider/beer?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2733: June 09, 2013, 11:07:32 PM »
Tonight's beers:

- Ommegang Three Philosophers 2011. Deep, dark, satisfying quad.
- Duvel. Single ale, as opposed to their triple.
- Avery Belgian Wheat. Actually that's not the proper name, but I forgot it, and it's a Belgian wheat from Avery Brewing in Colorado. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

One of the very few times I've ever gone "in reverse," that is, darkest beer first. But hey, it was 90 degrees and I was in the sun!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2734: June 10, 2013, 08:13:49 AM »
[...]Anyone tried Stella's new apple cider/beer?

Had some in London last year - not bad.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #2735: June 10, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
Woodchuck Granny Smith :az: but I like Magners better I think.

The Magners sold in bottles here (at Giant) is indistinguishable from the Strongbow sold here...the Magners sold in bottles in London is fuller-bodied and stands up to ice rather nicely.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #2736: June 10, 2013, 08:17:50 AM »
Went to Wegman's today and built my own 6 pack.   I played it safe:

Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Alewerks Wheat Ale
Great Lakes Commodore Perry
Wood Chuck Hard Cider   :shock:
St. Pauli Girl
Dominion English Ale

[emphasis added]

...so I guess they are still making St Pauli Girl (it just disappeared from Harris Teeter again following a short availability - no finer chili-making beer exists, and of course it's good on its own too).

Also: the Giant in our neighbourhood does not run ANY imported Reinheitsgebot-observing German beer. (Harris Teeter still has Paulaner and Spaten.)

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2737: June 10, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »
Spent the majority of this weekend downing massive quantities of this.

But just to keep it real, and maintain my street cred, we had to make sure to turn up a bottle of MD 20/20. That stuff tastes like a cotton candy flavored black out.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2738: June 10, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
Expensive and meh. I like Woodchuck cider (all apples) and Angry Orchard (apples and malt) just as much.

So this Blue Moon with the green trim on the label is good

Anyone tried Stella's new apple cider/beer?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #2739: June 11, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
Expensive and meh. I like Woodchuck cider (all apples) and Angry Orchard (apples and malt) just as much.

Woodchucks (all kinds) are a little syrupy to me. Prefer Strongbow or Magners, will do Angry Orchard in a pinch though.

So, forgot to take the growler, so got AtBC a sixer of Fat Tire Rolle Bolle, will he like it?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2740: June 11, 2013, 11:01:10 PM »
This seems like sacrilege considering the opinions I commonly see, but I prefer AO over Strongbow.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #2741: June 12, 2013, 07:48:09 AM »

Depends on which Woodchuck (I think they have four lines altogether)...their regular Amber tends a bit toward soda pop but their Granny Smith has a nice tart taste.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2742: June 12, 2013, 10:23:20 AM »
This seems like sacrilege considering the opinions I commonly see, but I prefer AO over Strongbow.

If I've ever had Strongbow (which I'm pretty sure I have at some point) it wasn't good enough for me to go "Damn, that's a good drink", but on the other hand, Angry Orchard is very good. Have you ever tried Angry Orchard and Fireball served like a Jaeger bomb? It's pretty good.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2743: June 12, 2013, 10:24:25 AM »
Is there any reason to buy good cider- I'm seeing more and more high end single bottle ciders

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #2744: June 12, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »
Is there any reason to buy good cider- I'm seeing more and more high end single bottle ciders

Haven't seen anything as yet comparable to the bottled Magners or Bulmers I've seen in London (both really stand up to ice quite nicely) but if you can find something in that league it would be worth it, I think. (Makes a great nightcap after a pub crawl.)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2745: June 12, 2013, 10:30:45 AM »
most of the stuff I've been seeing has been local, usually looking like they are trying to be wine - i.e. marking either a single apple or a certain mixture

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2746: June 12, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »
I can't remember people in England liking or standing up for Strongbow; it's viewed as the first rung on the cider ladder. Bulmers and Magners are very common, though my favorite was Old Rosie, two pints of which are enough to make the world very wobbly.

Crispin is good, here in the USA.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2747: June 12, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »
A friend who does sound at a lot of clubs says that whenever Motörhead lines up a gig it is specified that large quantities of Strongbow are to be provided for the band and their roadies to stay hydrated.  Guess a snort of the ol' scrumpie gets ye to volume 11.

I can't remember people in England liking or standing up for Strongbow; it's viewed as the first rung on the cider ladder. Bulmers and Magners are very common, though my favorite was Old Rosie, two pints of which are enough to make the world very wobbly.

Crispin is good, here in the USA.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2748: June 12, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
If I've ever had Strongbow (which I'm pretty sure I have at some point) it wasn't good enough for me to go "Damn, that's a good drink", but on the other hand, Angry Orchard is very good. Have you ever tried Angry Orchard and Fireball served like a Jaeger bomb? It's pretty good.

No, but that sounds kind of awesome.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2749: June 12, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »
Between the booze and the sugar that's a pretty lethal combo  :shock: