Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nats vs. Astros, Game 4  (Read 26001 times)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Gameday Thread: Nats vs. Astros, Game 4
« Reply #125: July 24, 2005, 03:56:37 PM »
Just what the Nats need going into Atlanta

Offline PC

« Reply #126: July 24, 2005, 03:58:37 PM »
Games like this make me lose my optimism.  And whether we win or not is moot.

There were so many things done badly today, it just drains the optimism out of me.  And the bad things were all over the place.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #127: July 24, 2005, 04:00:39 PM »
There's not enough offensive punch in the Nats lineup to give anyone hope... The team needs new blood

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #128: July 24, 2005, 04:01:43 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
There's not enough offensive punch in the Nats lineup to give anyone hope... The team needs new blood

Instead it looks like we are going to LOSE offensively...Guillen went to the hospital for X-rays.   :x

Offline PC

« Reply #129: July 24, 2005, 04:02:57 PM »

And that's the reason why you have to have a good starting lineup.  You have to try to mask the fact that you don't have much offensive punch.

And when Guzman is starting, that's not doing it.   :x

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #130: July 24, 2005, 04:05:15 PM »
No argument from me... I've been wanting Wilkerson, Vidro, Armas traded for over a month now... And if it gets us Teixeira, Johnson as well

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

« Reply #131: July 24, 2005, 04:07:02 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"

Instead it looks like we are going to LOSE offensively...Guillen went to the hospital for X-rays.   :x

yep (tho you know Guillen will back soon if humanly possible).

I was looking forward to see how the Nats lineup would do with Nick back and Wilson in it. Guess we may see how it looks with Church playing for Guillen too unless we are very lucky.

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
« Reply #132: July 24, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »
BTW, Ken you have a great avatar page! I hope you don't mind if I choose this one, although I was VERY tempted to use your "No Guzman!" avatar!

Eddie Cunningham

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #133: July 24, 2005, 04:12:44 PM »
You know what we got?  I hate to say it...I really do.  I love my Nats...but we got a great pitching staff and a AAA batting squad.   :(

Offline rileyn

« Reply #134: July 24, 2005, 04:14:32 PM »
You know what we got?  I hate to say it...I really do.  I love my Nats...but we got a great pitching staff and a AAA batting squad.   :(

Triple A might be too high.  We have 5 at bats today with a runner on 3rd and less that 2 outs.  3 of those at bats, all we needed was a medium deep fly ball to score (much less a base hit) and we never even came close.  This game should be over.

Offline PC

« Reply #135: July 24, 2005, 04:14:58 PM »

This team has zero bat discipline.  They're like little leaguers.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #136: July 24, 2005, 04:18:09 PM »
Quote from: "eddiejc1"
BTW, Ken you have a great avatar page! I hope you don't mind if I choose this one, although I was VERY tempted to use your "No Guzman!" avatar!

Thanks and that's what they are there for... I should make you a different Walter Johnson avatar, I think I saw someone else using that one as well, but I'm old I may have been seeing things...

« Reply #137: July 24, 2005, 04:18:59 PM »

Oh for GAWD's sake. Get a grip.
We got a lineup that has been hampered by injuries all season. We don't have a lot of power but the only guy you can say is putting up AAA results is Guzman.

What Nats do NOT have is a great lineup for RFK or a real monster of a power guy. That'll be taken care of in the offseason when the payroll actually hits a plausible amount for a major market team. In the meantime, try to retain your perspective.

AAA players? Little leaguers?
GEEZ I didn't know I was watching the game with retired hall of famers. Must be if you feel qualified to make those sort of judgements.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #138: July 24, 2005, 04:20:11 PM »
Quote from: "mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)"

Can this GRIP guy play short? LOLOL

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #139: July 24, 2005, 04:20:54 PM »
Quote from: "mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG0"

I stand by my statement...and look at how many runs we've scored in like two friggin weeks: YOU GET A GRIP  :roll:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #140: July 24, 2005, 04:23:52 PM »
DUDE we are LAST in runs scored in the ENTIRE major league!  :roll:

Offline PC

« Reply #141: July 24, 2005, 04:25:20 PM »

We got a lineup that has been hampered by injuries all season. We don't have a lot of power but the only guy you can say is putting up AAA results is Guzman.

What Nats do NOT have is a great lineup for RFK or a real monster of a power guy. That'll be taken care of in the offseason when the payroll actually hits a plausible amount for a major market team. In the meantime, try to retain your perspective.

I think you're missing the point, well missing my point, at least.  We may not have a power hitter but we still can do the best we can with what we have.  This starts with Frank.  When he starts Guzman (which he should rarely do) you have to adjust the lineup for the fact that Guzman is dead weight in the batting order.  You have to have your best hitters in the lineup around Guzman and hope they get hot.  Schneider is a better hitter than Bennett.  Church is a better hitter than Byrd.  Don't start Bennett and Byrd with Guzman.

Then the batters just have to be smart.  Guillen swinging at a 3-0 pitch was the crowning achievement of batters playing like little leaguers.

Offline eddiejc1

« Reply #142: July 24, 2005, 04:28:40 PM »
Quote from: "mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG0"

I stand by my statement...and look at how many runs we've scored in like two friggin weeks: YOU GET A GRIP  :roll:

Most of us are happy to have major league baseball back in Washington but that does not mean we do not have to turn a blind eye to what is happening on the field. Guzman is having one of the most horrific offensive years in baseball history, so I don't think it's out of line to say that someone else should be playing at short.

*sigh* Why do I have the sinking feeling we are about to strand yet ANOTHER runner in scoring position?  :cry:

Eddie Cunningham

« Reply #143: July 24, 2005, 04:30:05 PM »
Either of you guys ever watched a full 162 games? You ever seen a slump? Guererro just went 2 for 34 for the Angels - he a little leaguer?

There is a difference between informed criticism and ludicrous exagerration.

The 40th guy on the roster of the worst team in MLB is still not only better than you could even dream to be, but better than you can even imagine anyone could be.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #144: July 24, 2005, 04:30:24 PM »
trust that sinking feeling eddie...it happened again.   :?

Montcobaseball

« Reply #145: July 24, 2005, 04:31:28 PM »
Since the beginning of the modern era has a game ever been forfeited because of the lack of eligible players?

Offline eddiejc1

« Reply #146: July 24, 2005, 04:32:34 PM »
Quote from: "Montcobaseball"
Since the beginning of the modern era has a game ever been forfeited because of the lack of eligible players?

Well, there was that All-Star Game in Milwaukee a few years back!  :lol:

Eddie Cunningham

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #147: July 24, 2005, 04:32:52 PM »
Either of you guys ever watched a full 162 games? You ever seen a slump? Guererro just went 2 for 34 for the Angels - he a little leaguer?

The 40th guy on the roster of the worst team in MLB is still not only better than you could even dream to be, but better than you can even imagine anyone could be.

Ya know check your attitude at the door buddy.  You don't want me to start pointing out to everybody here that you were one of Guzman's BIGGEST defenders on the MLB board in May and was ragging on me because I told you back then that he was a worthless peice of dung.  Now I've seen you've changed your mind.  So spare us your expertise.   :roll:

Offline PC

« Reply #148: July 24, 2005, 04:32:57 PM »

Which level of baseball do you think you'd find batters swinging at 3-0 pitches?

Offline PC

« Reply #149: July 24, 2005, 04:35:36 PM »
Quote from: "Montcobaseball"

Now, in the 13th inning, we're trapped with Frank's horrible starting lineup!