Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 104149 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #775: November 05, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »
Was introduced to "Elementary" over the weekend.  Really good stuff...

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #776: November 05, 2012, 03:26:48 PM »

...but no "Sherlock"?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #777: November 05, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »

Over the past 7 or 8 years Sherlock Holmes has just been rehashed and redone over and over and over again, started with House M.D. (and earlier), then we had the movies and Sherlock and now Elementary. Socially inept yet genius investigator/detective/what have you paired with a partner of varied mental capabilities who keeps up and tries to explain manners to them.

I'm all burned out. Still refuse to watch Sherlock, Elementary or any detective show. I'm sure they're good but I've seen enough!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #778: November 05, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »
Bourdain marathon today.  I'm not getting a damned thing done other than emptying the fridge.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #779: November 05, 2012, 04:11:12 PM »
Bourdain is my dream job.

Over the past 7 or 8 years Sherlock Holmes has just been rehashed and redone over and over and over again, started with House M.D. (and earlier), then we had the movies and Sherlock and now Elementary. Socially inept yet genius investigator/detective/what have you paired with a partner of varied mental capabilities who keeps up and tries to explain manners to them.

I'm all burned out. Still refuse to watch Sherlock, Elementary or any detective show. I'm sure they're good but I've seen enough!

I refuse to watch Elementary. House started OK but went downhill fast and hard. Monk did the same. "Sherlock" with Cumberbatch, on the other hand, is a legitimately very smartly done update of the series with outstanding writing and casting. It's not all perfect - there's an episode which embodies that quaint British tradition of being hilariously racist and simultaneously winking to the viewer as if to say "my, aren't we being racist!" - but the Reichenbach Falls episode, in particular, is not only ballsier and more cleverly plotted than Conan Doyle's original, but one of the top 5 or so best episodes of TV I've ever seen.

• babble on
« Reply #780: November 05, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #781: November 05, 2012, 05:44:34 PM »
Bourdain is my dream job.

and andrew zimmerman is a nightmare

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #782: November 05, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »
Bourdain?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #783: November 05, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
Bourdain?

The best nonfictional human on television. Next time you want to watch something, make it this:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #784: November 05, 2012, 05:58:39 PM »

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #785: November 05, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »

• babble on
« Reply #786: November 05, 2012, 06:14:38 PM »
GTFO.  Rick Steves is a bland missionary of mediocrity who found fame thanks to legions of old biddies who like watching his show while drinking sanka and eating watercress sandwiches.  Bourdain is gonzo chef travelogue social commentary on steroids.  Hipster my ass. 
hipster rick steves

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #787: November 05, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
Bourdain is gonzo chef travelogue social commentary on steroids.  Hipster my ass. 

I like bourdain, but it's travel pictures with a more modern/hispter message

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #788: November 05, 2012, 07:32:42 PM »
anthony bourdain is the f'n man.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #789: November 05, 2012, 08:19:31 PM »
I was talking about this with a co-worker and Dead fan. They've killed off a lot of the initial group from the camp, especially with losing 3 characters in the 11/4 episode last night, they'll need to add some new characters soon. So, it would make sense - speculating here - that Michonne, Merle and Blondie all re-connect with the group.

I thought Darryl was supposed to be reformed. Shouldnt he take the SS off of his bike?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #790: November 05, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »

Ok.  It was pretty good though.  I didn't watch House and movies are a different animal.  I enjoyed it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #791: November 05, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
...but no "Sherlock"?

Yeah, I had someone mention that to me today.  Might have to check it out.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #792: November 05, 2012, 10:47:08 PM »

I thought Darryl was supposed to be reformed. Shouldnt he take the SS off of his bike?
Is it his bike, or did he get that off the highway back in the early part of season 2?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #793: November 05, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
and from what i read this morning from all the reviews and talking with friends, apparently the show is really beginning to follow the route of the comics, so i'm not sure it's all that different.

again i haven't read them.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #794: November 05, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »
I like bourdain, but it's travel pictures with a more modern/hispter message

I have seen multiple episodes where Bourdain plots to kill hipsters, refers to hipsters as an infestation, or very seriously asks locals, "Do you guys have hipsters yet?", then describes them and explains that they're a menace.

Bourdain is more like Han Solo. He's just a traveling badass who doesn't care what you think of him.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #795: November 05, 2012, 11:00:52 PM »
no reservations was a show i would watch a lot at work from the 2-3 slot when there was nothing on ... then history channel got wise and discovered they could play pawn stars/american pickers re-runs all day and i got to watching that. 

but i will watch no reservations - or anything else bourdain is in (especially top chef) - because one reason: he is the friggin man.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #796: November 06, 2012, 07:01:48 PM »
The bourdain finale is starting off great,  plus my dvr has two of my favorites (Hudson Valley and beruit)  so maybe a marathon tonight instead of election pontificating on the networks

Offline Nathan

« Reply #797: November 06, 2012, 07:17:36 PM »
I have seen multiple episodes where Bourdain plots to kill hipsters, refers to hipsters as an infestation, or very seriously asks locals, "Do you guys have hipsters yet?", then describes them and explains that they're a menace.

Bourdain is more like Han Solo. He's just a traveling badass who doesn't care what you think of him.

Sounds like he might be a bit like Jeremy Clarkson.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #798: November 06, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »
Sounds like he might be a bit like Jeremy Clarkson.

Man I love Jeremy Clarkson. I love Top Gear but haven't watched in a while. Riding the Toyota pickup across the English Channel was my favorite non-special episode.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #799: November 06, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »
Man I love Jeremy Clarkson.

He's the best television presenter... in the world