Author Topic: Vermont Lake Monsters Opening Night!  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Vermont Lake Monsters Opening Night!
« Reply #25: June 22, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
Stop in and say hi!

If I can make the game, I'll be the guy with the two kids in tow and the Nats jersey.

Offline blue911

« Reply #26: June 22, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
If I can make the game, I'll be the guy with the two kids in tow and the Nats jersey.

And one Uber sexy elbow  ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #27: June 22, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »
And one Uber sexy elbow  ;)

I was going to be modest, but since you pointed it out.....

Offline blue911

« Reply #28: June 22, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
I was going to be modest, but since you pointed it out.....

Modesty my ass, nobody envisions Betty Grable as a paraplegic.

Offline RobRyan

• Radio Voice of the VT LM
« Reply #29: June 23, 2010, 12:03:36 AM »
Starting pitching has been downright FILTHY.  Bobby Hansen gives up a hit to the leadoff batter, 2nd batter gets aboard on an error, and then he mows down the next 9 straight.

Strikes out the first two batters of the 4th, gives up back to back singles, and fans the final batter before exiting. 

Hansen: 4/3/0/0/0/8

Mark Herrera (W, 2/3/1/0/0/1), Neil Holland (2/2/1/0/0/3) and Dustin Crane (1/0/0/0/1/0) to finish.  0 earned runs for the staff again. 
For those scoring at home, the starting staff has gone 23.1 giving up just 2 earned runs, 2 walks and 32Ks.

6-2 win tonight, to close out the opening homestand, 4-1.  Hit the road tomorrow to Tri-City.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #30: June 23, 2010, 12:47:41 AM »
Ronnie actually got two hits! Awesome!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #31: June 23, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »
I'm a big Bobby Hansen fan. :clap:

18th round HS draftee from the 2008 draft.

He's a big, strong lefty (6' 5", 220 lbs) and doesn't turn 21 until December.

His number so far this year in Vermont: 6.1 IP 4 H 0 R 0 BB 10 K (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 0.63 WHIP)

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #32: June 23, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Definitely sounds like someone to keep an eye on. Does anyone have a scouting report on Bobby Hansen

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #33: June 23, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
Can't find a scouting report but this article was written about him a few days ago:

http://www.coloradocommunitynewspapers.com/articles/2010/06/18/tri_lakes_tribune/sports/23_mo_spts_hansen.txt

Hansen climbing ladder in minors

Excelling at his chosen craft was no more difficult than falling out of bed for Bobby Hansen a little more than two years ago.

During his senior season at Lewis-Palmer in 2008, the 6-foot-5 left-hander hardly had to break a sweat in order to dominate the opposition.

All Hansen had to do was rear back and throw in order to blaze his fastball past almost any hitter. And to keep them off-balance, Hansen occasionally could toss his knee-buckling curveball to rack up easy strikes.

Yet if two seasons of professional ball have taught Hansen anything, it is that being a two-trick pony is not going to get the job done. Slowly developing a change-up he never had to utilize while at Lewis-Palmer, Hansen is beginning his third pro season with an eye on mastering the sort of pitch that usually ensures advancement through the minor league ranks — particularly for a left-hander.

Hansen is beginning the 2010 campaign with the Vermont Lake Monsters, a short-season Class A affiliate of the Washington Nationals in the New York-Penn League. The former Ranger is scheduled to make his first start of the season on June 22 against the Connecticut Tigers.

“I feel like everything is becoming more consistent,” Hansen said. “My pitches have gotten better and I’m more confident in all of them. I know now how to pitch and I’m not afraid to pitch to contact. I feel like in high school I struck a lot of guys out. Here, you have to throw quality pitches and use the guys lined up behind you.

“In high school, I never threw a change. It was fastball, curveball. That doesn’t work here. The eight-nine hitters, they’re not the eight-nine hitters I saw in high school.”

After getting drafted out of LP in the 18th round (541st overall) in 2008, Hansen spent the rest of that summer, in addition to the 2009 season, with the Gulf Coast Nationals of the rookie-level Gulf Coast League. He went 1-2 in each season while compiling a 4.50 earned-run average in 22 innings in 2008 and a 4.93 ERA in 34 2/3 innings last year.

Moving to the New York-Penn League represents a step forward for the southpaw. The league is a popular destination for many of the top players selected in the June draft, so Hansen can expect a tougher challenge from hitters in 2010 than he faced the past two seasons in the Gulf Coast League.

Moreover, despite the apparent small steps Hansen is taking through the Nationals’ system, he certainly still boasts an impressive mix of youth and experience. Having turned 20 in December, Hansen remains one of the youngest players on his Lake Monsters squad. However, few of his older teammates have two full years of pro experience under their belts.

It is an enviable position for a young left-hander developing a third “out” pitch.

“I definitely feel like the thing I have on my side is my age,” Hansen said. “This is my third year, and I have the most experience on my team, but I’m still one of the youngest. I feel like everything is coming along, and I definitely am looking forward to the challenge of the New York-Penn League this summer.”

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #34: June 23, 2010, 09:05:47 AM »
Some dreams are quiet, but Bobby Hansen's got off to a loud start.

The Lewis-Palmer graduate's family erupted into shouts and applause, broken up only by hugs and high-fives, when the Washington Nationals chose the left-handed pitcher in the 18th round (541st overall) of the Major League Baseball draft, which concluded Friday.

"I've dreamed of playing pro baseball ever since I first started in first grade,' Hansen said. "It's always been my dream and now I get the opportunity to do it. I'm just honored to get drafted."

The Washington State signee plans to forgo his college scholarship to give pro ball a try.

"It all depends on the next couple days," Hansen said. "But they told me they plan to pay me seventh-round money. I'm not really worried about the money. Hopefully I can get a little money for college and get a good start on life."

Hansen said he has no illusions about pro ball, knowing he will start at the lowest rung. He's known a few recent draftees, including outfielder Reid Engle from Lewis-Palmer.

"I know there will be a lot of learning ahead of me but I've good a good work ethic," Hansen said. "I'm looking forward to working with pro coaches whose job it is to see me improve."

The Nationals e-mailed the 6-foot-6, 220-pound teenager's family to tell him he was being drafted but the e-mail went unnoticed for a few minutes until the family saw the notice on mlb.com.

"Knowing ahead of time wouldn't have spoiled it all," Hansen said. "This is just a dream come true. I'm so ready to play pro ball. I'm so excited."

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #35: June 23, 2010, 09:54:14 AM »
Would it be too much to ask for attribution, and the date of each article?   :roll:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #36: June 23, 2010, 09:55:25 AM »
It's a mind story.

Offline First Base Lady

« Reply #37: June 23, 2010, 12:23:34 PM »
Ronnie actually got two hits! Awesome!

Yes he did - and two stolen bases to boot!  He was hitting the cover off the ball in ST and and Extended and glad to see it continue up here in VT. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #38: June 23, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
So LANC - 7th round money for an 18th rounder?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #39: June 23, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »
Through 5 games, Vermont has a 51/8 K/BB rate.

Awesome!

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #40: June 24, 2010, 01:47:36 AM »
Pulled a rabbit out of a hat tonight.  Got the tying run without a hit... but got the hit in the 11th when it mattered the most.  Pitching remains tremendous.  11 inning, 5 hits, 1 run tonight.  And 4 of the 5 hits were off of starter Taylor Jordan in the 4th inning.

Highlights in a sec

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #41: June 24, 2010, 01:58:49 AM »

Yup!

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #42: June 24, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »
Just gave the board a shout out on the air... lol...  I was answering the question previous, about Jenkins and his velocity.  I heard he told some folks he was topping out in the mid/upper 80s. 

His fastest tonight in the 1st inning was 84.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #43: June 24, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »
Just gave the board a shout out on the air

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #44: June 25, 2010, 02:09:02 PM »
Rob, what's the deal with Jack Walker.

Why is he walking so much? Is he getting nothing to hit, or is he actually showing a good hitting eye?

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #45: June 26, 2010, 06:28:39 PM »
Jack has a GREAT eye.  He just works pitchers, and is very selective.

Last nights game was epic.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #46: June 26, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »
Rob, what's the deal with Jack Walker.

Why is he walking so much? Is he getting nothing to hit, or is he actually showing a good hitting eye?

Have you been to a NYPL game? The hitters swing at everything, the pitchers can dominate with pitches that won't fly at a higher level (PJ Dean), so I'm guessing a guy who's really selective is going to have a monster OBP.

Maybe that's overly simplistic, but there's a lot of goofy crap at the games that distracts you as well :lol: I love low minors games, but it's a different experience.

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #47: June 28, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »
^ I'm not understanding what dominant pitching has to do with Jack Walker working out walks at the plate.  Does this mean that Jack has an even MORE amazing eye at the plate, because pitchers are so dominant?  Or.... am I missing the message?

Also, at 7-3, the Monsters are best in the NYPL through 10. 

And for anyone that was at Tri City, was it me, or is it unusually quiet in that place?  Like, eerie quiet?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #48: June 28, 2010, 02:36:37 PM »
^ I'm not understanding what dominant pitching has to do with Jack Walker working out walks at the plate.  Does this mean that Jack has an even MORE amazing eye at the plate, because pitchers are so dominant?  Or.... am I missing the message?

Also, at 7-3, the Monsters are best in the NYPL through 10. 

And for anyone that was at Tri City, was it me, or is it unusually quiet in that place?  Like, eerie quiet?

I'm postulating that this guy has a good enough eye that he just waits out his walks. Haven't listened to a game yet? I think aggressiveness and unfamiliarity with offspeed pitching keeps a lot of the hitters baffled at that level. Is that fair or total nonsense (you see this guys everyday, definitely respect your opinion on it)?

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #49: June 29, 2010, 12:27:47 AM »
This team works pitchers very well.  Chad Mozingo, Justin Miller, Jason Martinson, Jack Walker all work deep into counts, foul pitches off and make pitchers work.  This crop of youngsters is very good, and manager Jeff Garber is very aggressive (there has not been a 3-2 count with a runner at 1st, where they haven't been running, no matter WHO it is, or if there's 0 or 1 outs). 

Stephen King cracked a solo job in the 4th, and Ronnie LaBrie had 2 hits, including a solo job in the 5th for all the offense they'd need tonight.