Author Topic: Bryce Harper Discussion  (Read 21542 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Bryce Harper Discussion
« Reply #75: June 04, 2009, 01:58:18 PM »
this too. nobody's gonna give a crap about this kid's life if he breaks a leg in the minors after saying "freak my education" to make some fans of a team that tanked their season on purpose happy.
Earth to preachy: he'd already have a handsome signing bonus by that time so it's not really going to matter.
sorry to break it to you, but the Nationals at this point in time, ARE a "nothing" franchise.
:lol: +1

How can you call the Indians a nothing franchise considering where the Nats are? :doh:

Offline blue911

« Reply #76: June 04, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »
Earth to preachy: he'd already have a handsome signing bonus by that time so it's not really going to matter.:lol: +1

How can you call the Indians a nothing franchise considering where the Nats are? :doh:

Ask Josh Hamilton, Matt Bush & Jeff Allison about their signing bonus.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #77: June 04, 2009, 02:05:35 PM »

Why?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #78: June 04, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »

harper has a thing for heroin?

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #79: June 04, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »
Why?

Because many people can use their signing bonus and blow it pretty quickly so just stating "Well, he has a signing bonus, he will be fine" really isn't correct as shown by the countless stories of athletes losing their money.

Get your high school degree and move forward.

Offline blue911

« Reply #80: June 04, 2009, 02:08:56 PM »
harper has a thing for heroin?

Don't we all? an education last for well ... however long you want to use it I guess. But all three of these guys flopped because they couldn't deal with pressure. None used heroin BTW. They were mostly dittoheads.

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #81: June 04, 2009, 02:09:25 PM »
Earth to preachy: he'd already have a handsome signing bonus by that time so it's not really going to matter.:lol: +1

You think a signing bonus means he is set financially?

It doesn't last some players several years.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #82: June 04, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »
Hamilton did use heroin...and he's doing just fine right now, btw.

Past draft picks are irrelevant, anyway.  Harper would get a larger signing bonus than any of them.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #83: June 04, 2009, 02:11:35 PM »

He should get about 5-10 million, easily.  That should set a person up for at least ten years.  If he flops, he can go back to school or open up a business in time.

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #84: June 04, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
He should get about 5-10 million, easily.  That should set a person up for at least ten years.  If he flops, he can go back to school or open up a business in time.

Just stating he can start a business is about as broad as you can get and guarantees nothing but the usual chance of failing when opening a business

If he starts school, I am sure many of the colleges would be impressed with his GED rather than an accredited HS diploma.

The money depends on whether he invests/saves it correctly but that isn't a guarantee

There is zero upside to leaving early. He will still be a top pick, he will still make a good signing bonus, and he will still have a bright future. We just want him to screw himself for our own greed of wanting him.

Offline blue911

« Reply #85: June 04, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »
Hamilton did use heroin...and he's doing just fine right now, btw.

Past draft picks are irrelevant, anyway.  Harper would get a larger signing bonus than any of them.

Yeah, probably shouldn't have said used. Hamilton got hooked on Crack and the Oxycontin. I'm glad Hamilton's getting his life squared away but how is that helping Tampa?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #86: June 04, 2009, 02:14:29 PM »

A bit off topic, but there was a well researched article by SI a few months ago on this exact topic.  Worth the read for anyone that has the time.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364/6/index.htm

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #87: June 04, 2009, 02:17:18 PM »
If he starts school, I am sure many of the colleges would be impressed with his GED rather than an accredited HS diploma.

I'm sure they will be more impressed with his bank account with endless 0's. I don't think colleges care if you are dumb if you can pay the tuition and potentially donate a lot of money to the university in the future.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #88: June 04, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »

if he's smart about it (no reason to think he would be), it should be enough for a lifetime if he doesn't touch the principle. If he signs for $5,000,000, you have to think he ends up with about half after taxes and agents. A 5% return gives him $125,000 to spend (granted less after taxes). Most college graduates, let alone highschool graduates, never make that much money.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #89: June 04, 2009, 02:17:31 PM »
No, but he can get into just about any community or junior college and if he does well there, he'll be able to get to just about any public university from there.

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #90: June 04, 2009, 02:19:11 PM »
No, but he can get into just about any community or junior college and if he does well there, he'll be able to get to just about any public university from there.

Or he can stay another year in HS, get his diploma, and get into a major University on his first choice.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #91: June 04, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »
I'm sure they will be more impressed with his bank account with endless 0's. I don't think colleges care if you are dumb if you can pay the tuition and potentially donate a lot of money to the university in the future.
That's actually not true.  They still have to make the grades to stay in school. Having worked in the retention office of a major university, retention and graduation rates are a big deal for universities when trying to attract new students.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #92: June 04, 2009, 02:19:44 PM »
Or he can stay another year in HS, get his diploma, and get into a major University on his first choice.
He's not going to college straight out of high school, what's the difference.

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #93: June 04, 2009, 02:22:04 PM »

We have no idea whether the 0's will be there in several years and even if so, it won't be enough to just give millions to a college just so he can be let in. As for whether colleges care if he is dumb or not....have you actually applied to college?

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #94: June 04, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »
He's not going to college straight out of high school, what's the difference.

What is the difference between going straight to the school you want or spending 1-2 years in Community College and then the school you want? How about 1-2 years?

Would you like to have waited 1-2 years to go to the school you wanted? I know I sure as hell wouldn't have.

Offline blue911

« Reply #95: June 04, 2009, 02:25:07 PM »
if he's smart about it (no reason to think he would be), it should be enough for a lifetime if he doesn't touch the principle. If he signs for $5,000,000, you have to think he ends up with about half after taxes and agents. A 5% return gives him $125,000 to spend (granted less after taxes). Most college graduates, let alone highschool graduates, never make that much money.

He's freaking 16! Why would any reasonable 16 year worry about his retirement.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #96: June 04, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »
What is the difference between going straight to the school you want or spending 1-2 years in Community College and then the school you want? How about 1-2 years?

Would you like to have waited 1-2 years to go to the school you wanted? I know I sure as hell wouldn't have.
Not really, he'll be taking about half his course load at that community college.  It saves a lot of money and if he's in a position where he does have to end up going back to school, it will save him self a lot of money that he would have probably lost in the mean time.  This kid isn't going anywhere near a college campus unless his minor league team shares a field with a college team. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #97: June 04, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »

there is a difference between waiting and living in your parent's basement and working part time at blockbuster, and waiting while living in your own house, living off of interest and dividend payments and knowing that even if you never do make it into college, you will have a larger income than 75% of the graduates of the college ever will because of that nest egg you got by putting school off

Offline blue911

« Reply #98: June 04, 2009, 02:29:12 PM »

If you attend a 4 year college, you can't re-enter the draft until after your junior year. There isn't that restriction on CC players.

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #99: June 04, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
there is a difference between waiting and living in your parent's basement and working part time at blockbuster, and waiting while living in your own house, living off of interest and dividend payments and knowing that even if you never do make it into college, you will have a larger income than 75% of the graduates of the college ever will because of that nest egg you got by putting school off

This is assuming he saves all of his money correctly as a 17-year-old