Author Topic: Callup: Sandy Leon from AA Harrisburg...  (Read 2570 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Callup: Sandy Leon from AA Harrisburg...
« Reply #50: May 14, 2012, 10:38:29 PM »
Normally I'm all about the team, but this is one time where I say forget the team, I feel awful for Leon.  Not even a whole game and the dude is on the 60-day DL.  He may never see another major league game again.  That's just extra crappy :?
Yup, he got his big break finally and would have probably stuck here for the rest of the year and made a name for himself and now who knows if we will see him again. I would think we would because he's young and is superb defensively but you never know.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #51: May 14, 2012, 10:39:09 PM »
So much for all that catching depth we had :hang:

Ramos - injured
Solano - injured
Leon - injured
Norris - traded

Down to Flores and Maldonado. Should be interesting. Maldonado has been around the block so he isn't the worst option but I'm not feeling that great about this situation.
Well, this is why you have catching depth.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #52: May 14, 2012, 10:41:27 PM »
Well, this is why you have catching depth.

Right, no point in having the depth if we aren't going to use it.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #53: May 14, 2012, 10:41:29 PM »
I'm sure he'll be back.  He's still the best young catching prospect we have.

Maybe, maybe not.  You never know.  I'm not saying he definitely won't get another shot at the show, but nothing is guaranteed, and it just sucks so much to see him go down like this in his very first game.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #54: May 14, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Right, no point in having the depth if we aren't going to use it.

So you're rooting for players to get injured? :stir: :mg:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #55: May 14, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »
So you're rooting for players to get injured? :stir: :mg:

Just the ones I root against.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #56: May 14, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »
Just the ones I root against.

I KNEW IT!!!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #57: May 14, 2012, 11:37:41 PM »
we have catching depth.  two #1 catchers in flores and ramos.  happens to be that one went down and possibly for the season.  we brought up a fine replacement ... and he could be out for the year.

marshmallow man is serviceable as a backup, imo.  but after that we're running thin (unless solano gets up to speed ... and david freitas needs a little bit more time).

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #58: May 15, 2012, 12:11:58 AM »
Normally I'm all about the team, but this is one time where I say forget the team, I feel awful for Leon.  Not even a whole game and the dude is on the 60-day DL.  He may never see another major league game again.  That's just extra crappy :?

I agree completely.  Really crappy luck

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #59: May 15, 2012, 03:14:36 AM »
Well ... We can always use Bryce as the emergency back up catcher. Wasn't there a poster who fantasized about the mound meetings between The Savior and the Satan (Strasburg and Bryce)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #60: May 15, 2012, 06:08:26 AM »
Lombo is the emergency catcher. Bryce will never catch.

Offline bud

« Reply #61: May 15, 2012, 08:42:47 AM »
In AA, some (almost) 30 year old Devin Ivany is hitting .345, albeit in 29 ABs. He's been with the organization since the Expos drafted him in 2004.  Besides that, his best season was in Potomac in 2009 where he hit an uninspiring .269.  Thus, forget him.  Meanwhile, Carlos Maldanado is hitting .211 in 71 AAA ABs. He's 33 years old. His best year in the minors was 2006 when he hit .282. It's been downhill for him since then. In other words, no thanks. Lastly, AAA cathers Solano and Howell are hitting .182 and .130 respectively. Yikes.

Clearly, the FA/trade route looks the most benefical.  We have a decision to make when Wong comes off the DL.  Therefore, don't discount the trade route.  More than likely though, we won't see a trade in May.  Pudge knows the team and clearly gives us better offense (which we need) than any of the folks on the farm. 

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #62: May 15, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »
Yup, he got his big break finally and would have probably stuck here for the rest of the year and made a name for himself and now who knows if we will see him again. I would think we would because he's young and is superb defensively but you never know.

Sucks. I really feel bad for the kid.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #63: May 15, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »

That's what I thought about when I saw it happen. What if that was the end of his MLB career already?

Feel so bad for the kid.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #64: May 15, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
At least he is getting a major league salary. Small comfort I know but better than nothing.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #65: May 15, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »
i thought i read somewhere that he could be back in a month. 

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #66: May 15, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »
 Luck -F@ck - F@ck A Duck - Someone put a curse on this Team. This is some bad mojo going on and if you all can't see it, you is blind. I'm thinking there's a vodoo doll buried under the pitcher's mound - Someone go look. Or put a Jesus or Madonna medallion under the dirt on the mound - I am Serious here, folks....   8) Way too many injuries for this to be coincidence - No way- I bet it was one of those Atlanta Braves that put a curse on this team or is making National team voodoo dolls with the players names on them and then sticking them with pins -yea those Atlanta Braves will go to any length to stay in first place in this Division.......oh yea.....definitely Atlanta Braves - definitely Bad Mojo.......  :twisted:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #67: May 15, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »
Well...it seemed bad last year when LaRoche was hurt, and then Zimmerman, and Werth hit like he was hurt.

Thinking about Ramos and Leon: I worry that Ramos will have trouble catching. Tough position for a serious knee problem. Leon might be back by August if he is the best defensive catcher in the organization. Even if he doesn't make the Nats next year, there is room on a major-league club  for a good-fielding catcher who doesn't hit well. Maybe nit as a starter, but you can have a long career if your defense is as good as, say, Brian Schneider.