Author Topic: Would you put Dan Uggla at first base?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Would you put Dan Uggla at first base?
« Reply #25: November 15, 2010, 11:19:14 PM »
Uggla's not passable at 2B.  By UZR he was the 3rd worst 2B in the game this year, 3rd worst last year, and dead last in 07.  He completely worthless in the field.

He had one fluke season with a really good UZR, and NatsAddict explained it really well.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #26: November 15, 2010, 11:23:31 PM »
Uggla's not passable at 2B.  By UZR he was the 3rd worst 2B in the game this year, 3rd worst last year, and dead last in 07.  He completely worthless in the field.
I'm just saying, it could work for a year, especially if they can flip a deal for Greinke.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #27: November 15, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »
I'm wondering if they can get this done for Flores and Detwiler. That's a no brainer.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #28: November 15, 2010, 11:26:32 PM »
I'm just saying, it could work for a year, especially if they can flip a deal for Greinke.

You'd have to play the RF in the infield to cover for a Dunn/Uggla combo.

Add in the fluctuation in his WAR from year to year and he's due for a 2.x WAR year instead of one of his good ones.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #29: November 15, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »
I'm wondering if they can get this done for Flores and Detwiler. That's a no brainer.

No brainer for us. Would the Marlins trade a power hitter for an always injured catcher and a Lefty who hasn't shown consistency?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #30: November 15, 2010, 11:29:02 PM »
No brainer for us. Would the Marlins trade a power hitter for an always injured catcher and a Lefty who hasn't shown consistency?

Bistro Onley says it won't be top prospects that the Marlins are asking for.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #31: November 16, 2010, 02:20:23 AM »
Bistro Onley says it won't be top prospects that the Marlins are asking for.
Remind me why we want a guy whom another club doesn't even think is worth top prospects again?  Oh right... we're the Nationals, bottom-feeders to the end.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #32: November 16, 2010, 02:29:39 AM »
Dan Uggla is physically incapable of hitting a home run with more than zero men on base.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #33: November 16, 2010, 03:05:32 AM »
Dan Uggla is physically incapable of hitting a home run with more than zero men on base.

This has been known and discussed by us many times. I would add him, though, if we somehow traded Desmond and someone for Greinke... Imagine Espionsa SS, Uggla 2B (defense lacking of course) and then signing Dunn... That would be a nice power lineup... I would always like an uprade over Uggla but still, having him there for a season or two couldn't be all that bad... could it?

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #34: November 16, 2010, 03:15:15 AM »
This has been known and discussed by us many times. I would add him, though, if we somehow traded Desmond and someone for Greinke... Imagine Espionsa SS, Uggla 2B (defense lacking of course) and then signing Dunn... That would be a nice power lineup... I would always like an uprade over Uggla but still, having him there for a season or two couldn't be all that bad... could it?

I'd rather go the FA route with Hudson, Hall, or even a 1 year return for FLOP.  Lombardozzi is close enough that there's no reason to trade anything for Uggla at 2B.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #35: November 16, 2010, 03:20:37 AM »
I'd rather go the FA route with Hudson, Hall, or even a 1 year return for FLOP.  Lombardozzi is close enough that there's no reason to trade anything for Uggla at 2B.

True. Then again we wouldn't need to sign any of them if we kept Desmond... but yea, hopefully we are working something out to trade Desmond and something for Greinke and sign one of them.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #36: November 16, 2010, 03:24:30 AM »
I am obviously missing something.

where are people getting the notion that we could actually acquire Grienke? especially for Desmond as the main part of a package?

was there a rumor along those lines or something that I didn't see?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #37: November 16, 2010, 03:25:18 AM »
I am obviously missing something.

where are people getting the notion that we could actually acquire Grienke? especially for Desmond?

was there a rumor along those lines or something that I didn't see?

many rumors saying we were talking to them. Then another said the KC are looking for middle infield and a prospect... so we are just adding up stuff.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #38: November 16, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »
many rumors saying we were talking to them. Then another said the KC are looking for middle infield and a prospect... so we are just adding up stuff.

i see.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #39: November 16, 2010, 03:28:00 AM »
yea I would post links but I don't know where people found them. I just remember reading them.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #40: November 16, 2010, 03:31:28 AM »
I wonder if KC would do a deal for Greinke with Lombardozzi as the middle infield piece? He'd probably be in the majors around the same time as the Hosmer/Moustakas group.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #41: November 16, 2010, 03:35:47 AM »
I wonder if KC would do a deal for Greinke with Lombardozzi as the middle infield piece? He'd probably be in the majors around the same time as the Hosmer/Moustakas group.

Most definitely but I see that as a weaker trade for us since I think Lombardozzi would be more useful up here than any of our infield pieces so far.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #42: November 16, 2010, 03:36:35 AM »
yea I would post links but I don't know where people found them. I just remember reading them.

Got ya back, homes.

http://www.masnsports.com/phil_wood/2010/11/zacking-up-the-rotation.html

In case you're interested, I was told today by someone privy to the situation that there indeed have been preliminary discussions between the Nationals and the Royals regarding righthander Zack Greinke.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #43: November 16, 2010, 03:40:43 AM »
And seeing Dayton Moore just trade away DeJesus for a #5/AAAA SP and a low A LHP, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'll move Greinke for pennies on the dollar as well.

I don't know what happens to him between drafting and trading but it's like two different GMs.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #44: November 16, 2010, 05:16:48 AM »

Would the Marlins trade a left-handed starting pitcher and a power-hitting starting outfielder for a AAAA backup utility infielder? Oh wait...

Also, PotCan's got a point about Dayton Moore - it took real (un)talent to trade as good a player as DeJesus for as bad a return as he got.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #45: November 16, 2010, 07:48:05 AM »
I am still confused as to why people think Greinke is worth more than Cliff Lee last off-season and Johan Santana when he was traded. If they Royals were smart, and they aren't, they would wait until the trade deadline of either 2011 or 2012 to trade him. The best package Cliff Lee ever got a team was when he was moved from the Mariners to the Rangers. I think a package of Desmond, Ramos, and a pitching prospect would be enough for Greinke, but it is also a package that could be outbid.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #46: November 16, 2010, 09:05:50 AM »
I am still confused as to why people think Greinke is worth more than Cliff Lee last off-season and Johan Santana when he was traded. If they Royals were smart, and they aren't, they would wait until the trade deadline of either 2011 or 2012 to trade him. The best package Cliff Lee ever got a team was when he was moved from the Mariners to the Rangers. I think a package of Desmond, Ramos, and a pitching prospect would be enough for Greinke, but it is also a package that could be outbid.
At least in Lee's case, Greinke currently has another year on his contract, has an extra year of high-quality pitching under his belt, and the Nats are a year closer to contending.  All of those things make him considerably more valuable to us now than Lee was.  As for why they're trading him now, if he wants out of KC and is pitching unhappy, the Royals probably feel like they aren't going to get the best possible production out of him anyway.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #47: November 16, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »
There really isn't much point in discussing Greinke - he can refuse trades to 15 teams. Even if the NY teams and Boston are on that list because of his anxiety, if he is frustrated in KC and wants to win, what are the odds the Nats are on the list too?

Offline Sharp

« Reply #48: November 16, 2010, 09:14:14 AM »
Low.  I don't think we can get Greinke.  But I think it's worth trying.

Online blue911

« Reply #49: November 16, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
There really isn't much point in discussing Greinke - he can refuse trades to 15 teams. Even if the NY teams and Boston are on that list because of his anxiety, if he is frustrated in KC and wants to win, what are the odds the Nats are on the list too?

He wants to win with no anxiety? Did he really say that?