Author Topic: Woes to fire manager  (Read 1940 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile

Offline kimnat

Re: Woes to fire manager
« Reply #1: June 18, 2007, 11:41:50 AM »
can't say I'm surprised.  But what would really make their fans happy would be to "fire" Angelos.  Shoot, would make countless Nats fans happy, too!

natsfan1a

« Reply #2: June 18, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »
Too true!

can't say I'm surprised.  But what would really make their fans happy would be to "fire" Angelos.  Shoot, would make countless Nats fans happy, too!

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #3: June 18, 2007, 11:52:25 AM »

Yeah, not exactly a big surprise, but it is hard to see Sam as the root of the problem. It is stunning that playing in that small of a park that the O's are last in the AL in HRs. It's not like Perlozzo can be blamed for that. But it makes sense for them to do something to pretend to care, and this seemed like a natural low point. Angelos probably needed medical treatment when he realized the Nats actually beat his team to 30 wins on the season.

It will be interesting to see if Girardi even considers the change. He may view it as a no lose situation for him. If he turns things around, he's a God, if not, he can blame the organization. And either way, he can walk away from them at the end of '07 and take a job he really wants.

natsfan1a

« Reply #4: June 18, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »
As noted in another thread, I'd wonder how Girardi would do with veteran players as opposed to the young Marlins team?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: June 18, 2007, 12:01:25 PM »
I don't think Joe Girardi is half as good as people think he is. I believe whoever was at the helm of the Marlins last season would have come out smelling like a rose. They were young, and improved as they became more accustomed to playing at the major league level. Joe Girardi might talk good baseball, but that doesn't mean he's the superstar field manager that some think he is.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #6: June 18, 2007, 12:06:18 PM »
I don't think Joe Girardi is half as good as people think he is. I believe whoever was at the helm of the Marlins last season would have come out smelling like a rose. They were young, and improved as they became more accustomed to playing at the major league level. Joe Girardi might talk good baseball, but that doesn't mean he's the superstar field manager that some think he is.

Agreed.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: June 18, 2007, 01:57:04 PM »
I don't think Joe Girardi is half as good as people think he is etc.

Which is why it would be great if the O's hired him.  Expectations would soar, then come crashing down around them as reality sinks in.  Plus, if he couldn't get along with the Marlins' ownership, what makes anyone think he could get along with Angelos?  LOL.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #8: June 18, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »
O's are doomed until Angelos dies and someone other than a family member buys the team.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #9: June 18, 2007, 02:12:19 PM »
And now it's official - he's outtathere, with Trembley taking over as interim manager: http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070618&content_id=2033844&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #10: June 18, 2007, 03:23:48 PM »
To hear the bmore radio heads tell it, girardi is already a foregone conclusion and there is no way in hell he declines the job

« Reply #11: June 18, 2007, 03:32:08 PM »
Not even a Jedi Master could make that team win, not as long as Angelos is in charge.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #12: June 18, 2007, 03:43:43 PM »
LOL jedi mind trick on the ump FTW...  "that was a strike"

"no, it was a ball" *wave hand*

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #13: June 18, 2007, 03:55:03 PM »
I am watching the anita marks show and man they are laying into tejada

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #14: June 18, 2007, 04:15:14 PM »
I am watching the anita marks show and man they are laying into tejada

They should have traded Tejada long before now. You have to wonder what value he will bring in return at this point. But at least they can dump his salary. He's still an upgrade for so many teams, but his lackluster performance has to have diminished the trade value significantly.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #15: June 18, 2007, 04:58:28 PM »
They should have traded Tejada long before now. You have to wonder what value he will bring in return at this point. But at least they can dump his salary. He's still an upgrade for so many teams, but his lackluster performance has to have diminished the trade value significantly.

At this point, he would trade for significantly less than he's worth.  During last offseason, they were talking Tejada for Manny Ramirez :lol:

IMO the Blorioles should just wait it out.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #16: June 18, 2007, 05:27:13 PM »
I'd trade lopez watson and maybe church for miggy and a pitching prospect, and then make belly our everyday 2b. Wishful thinking i know.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #17: June 18, 2007, 06:03:25 PM »
LOL jedi mind trick on the ump FTW...  "that was a strike"

"no, it was a ball" *wave hand*

:rofl:

[attachment deleted by admin]