Author Topic: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread  (Read 70402 times)

Offline Potomac Cannons

Re: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread
« Reply #75: January 27, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
looks like BR messed up

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/espinda01.shtml

Nah.  You have to click to the actual draft page to see if they were HS or college.  Would get rid of an unnecessary click if they listed the college for guys drafted that way.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #77: January 27, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/strasst01.shtml

Or so.  Looks like a little inconsistency from BR.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #78: January 27, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »
that's just sloppy on their part

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #79: January 27, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »

Fangraphs > BR.   :mg:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #80: January 27, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »

Yeah, I only knew he went to college because the Nats used to beat into the fans heads the fact that he followed Tulo and Longoria as the next great SS.

Offline blue911

« Reply #81: January 27, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
Whoa. Espinosa went to the same high school as Colt Brennan? Does EZ know about this?

Offline PatsNats28

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #83: February 01, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
I want this guy: Trevor Bauer. Must-read article from BA on UCLA's two aces, Gerritt Cole and Trevor Bauer.

Bauer = Lincecum

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/season-preview/2011/2611225.html

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #84: February 01, 2011, 02:26:36 PM »
Bauer is one kooky dude.  Definitely beats to his own drum.  UCLA comes through Lincoln sometime in March.  Hoping to catch some of that series.

I'd love to have either of those two dudes, perhaps one of them will still be available with our second pick, but I'm still taking JBJ or Purke over either of them.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #85: February 01, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »
Bauer:

I love how an extremely mechanically-efficient pitcher can look so smooth and so violent at the same time.

Bauer does not miss a beat when asked about the cookie-cutter approach to player evaluation and development that places so much emphasis on physical profiles and traditional training methods.

"I think the cookie-cutter approach is good for cookies," he says.

He pauses, then adds, "But not really for pitchers."

:rofl: I like this kid.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #86: February 01, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
Wow. That is a beautiful throwing motion, repeated with precision each and every time. And judging from the interview, the guy is a Maddux-esque intelligence who understands pitching from the inside out. The contraptions he and his dad build for practice sound amazing. I'm rooting for him. Hope we draft him, with one pick or another.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #87: February 01, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »
Bauer does not miss a beat when asked about the cookie-cutter approach to player evaluation and development that places so much emphasis on physical profiles and traditional training methods.

"I think the cookie-cutter approach is good for cookies," he says.

He pauses, then adds, "But not really for pitchers."

he better hope the right team drafts him. Put him with some nice old fashioned developmental coaches who insist on cookie cutter approaches and it may not go well. Hopefully we get him, he sounds mature and dedicated which should go a long way in helping him succeed

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #88: February 01, 2011, 03:22:13 PM »
"It's interesting: A lot of things he does—" Bauer pauses again, "—annoy me. We're two different personalities. He's very loud, kind of a vocal leader, in a sense. So at practices, he's the one getting guys fired up—you know, 'Yeah, great play!'—that kind of stuff. I'm more of the sit-back, keep-to-myself, quiet, lead-by-example type. So when he's out there yelling, for me it's just like, 'Oh Gerrit, just shut up.' But I'm sure when I'm sitting there talking to someone about overlaying video and looking at pitch breaks and stuff like that, he's probably sitting there thinking, 'Oh Bauer, shut up.' You know? So I think we have a pretty good relationship, for being two vastly, vastly different personality types."

Maybe I'm just biased because I'm quiet and excessively nerdy and never fit in with athletes and I'm totally a Bauer personality type.

Or maybe it's that Trevor Bauer is really -- wait for it -- AWESOME:

"He's interesting to watch pitch," Cole says of Bauer. "He can really set somebody up and make them look stupid."

"I like making hitters look stupid," Bauer says. "That's fun."

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #89: February 01, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »
BOOM signature updated!

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #90: February 01, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
he better hope the right team drafts him. Put him with some nice old fashioned developmental coaches who insist on cookie cutter approaches and it may not go well. Hopefully we get him, he sounds mature and dedicated which should go a long way in helping him succeed

I think anyone who would want to change him would shy away from him, at least early in the draft. At this point, though, Lincecum has probably paved the way for guys like Bauer. Maybe the Mariners regret passing on home-town Lincecum and will draft him.  :lol:

Very nice article, thanks for posting, SF.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #91: February 01, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »
Interesting thing about his pitching motion is that he keeps his arm very close to his body, looks like he doesn't extend till near his release.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #92: February 01, 2011, 06:38:09 PM »
The pitching motion he has is actually quite efficient.  There is a bit of "catching up" after he plants his foot, but mostly it is pretty clean.  Looks like he is throwing from the 3/4 arm slot, but what is interesting is that when he fields a grounder and throws to first he uses the sidearm slot.  This is not that unusual, just stood out to me.  I am definitely intrigued by this Bauer fellow.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #93: February 01, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »
I dunno - it looks unusual to me.  I don't know jack about pitching motions and how they affect pitching injuries - but unusual motions kind of scare me.

If he holds up this season though, sign me up.  If he gets hurt, he gets hurt.  What can you do? 

But I'm up for drafting three pitchers with our three top picks with the hope that we can get one more front of the rotation guy to go with Stras and Znn. 

Stras, Zimmermann, 2011 draft pick, Solis, and Lannan would be pretty solid in 2012.  If Maya, Detweiler, AJ Cole, or someone else steps up, then all the better.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #94: February 01, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »
I dunno - it looks unusual to me.  I don't know jack about pitching motions and how they affect pitching injuries - but unusual motions kind of scare me.

If he holds up this season though, sign me up.  If he gets hurt, he gets hurt.  What can you do? 

But I'm up for drafting three pitchers with our three top picks with the hope that we can get one more front of the rotation guy to go with Stras and Znn. 

Stras, Zimmermann, 2011 draft pick, Solis, and Lannan would be pretty solid in 2012.  If Maya, Detweiler, AJ Cole, or someone else steps up, then all the better.

It's not usual for draft picks to make the pros so quickly.

I certainly wouldn't expect a draft pick this year to be in the rotation next year... even more so for Cole who's probably good 3-4 years away from even being close to competing for a rotation spot.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #95: February 01, 2011, 10:07:07 PM »
I dunno - it looks unusual to me.  I don't know jack about pitching motions and how they affect pitching injuries - but unusual motions kind of scare me.

If he holds up this season though, sign me up.  If he gets hurt, he gets hurt.  What can you do?  

"Unusual motions" are sometimes the most mechanically efficient motions. See Lincecum and Roy Oswalt. Huge power out of tiny bodies. When you can make it to the top percentile of the competitive baseball world with a set of mechanics, it works.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #96: February 01, 2011, 11:05:40 PM »
Well, yeah it works, but the part of the theory behind not having those little guys pitch big innings is that their bodies can't hold up to the wear and tear.  It works for some, like Lincecum, but many others have a harder time.  One of the reasons they don't want Storen to start, I have to think, is that they don't think he has the build for it. 

Sometimes those little guys come up with unusual pitching motions to compensate for their physical limitations, and sometimes those motions cause injuries.  I have no clue about this guy's motion, so I can't say one way or the other if it's any more or less efficient than a traditional motion.

Like I said, though, I'm not against drafting him.  I just want one or two other pitchers, too.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #97: February 01, 2011, 11:09:27 PM »
It's not usual for draft picks to make the pros so quickly.

I certainly wouldn't expect a draft pick this year to be in the rotation next year... even more so for Cole who's probably good 3-4 years away from even being close to competing for a rotation spot.

Yeah, you're probably right.  I had in mind someone like Mike Leake or another polished college pitcher.  But yeah, it's not common at all to find those types.  Maybe someone else can step up then, like Peacock or Milone.  Or maybe they sign or trade for someone. 

But I still think we should draft pitchers and try to develop them.  The position guys - we can use the rest of the draft and free agency on them.  Especially at the ML level, postiion players are a lot easier to buy than pitchers.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #98: February 02, 2011, 02:19:29 AM »
He looks like he's straight out of a damn 70s Bad News Bears movie with that motion.  I love it.

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/bauer_trevor00.html

Look at his stats at the bottom.  38 appearances, 28 starts, 5 CG.  Strikes out a bunch, not many walks, a little wild with the HBP/WP stuff though.  I'm a little surprised that motion hasn't gotten more than 7 balks.  Put up 11.31 K/9 and 2.81 BB/9 last year as a sophomore.  Mock drafts I've seen have him between 17-31 as a draft pick.  Would love if he was there at 23, especially if the first pick is an OF like Springer or Bradley.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #99: February 02, 2011, 02:49:03 AM »
http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/category/2011-season-coverage/2011-cbb-top-100-players/

Just bumping this site back up.  They finished their top 100 preseason rankings for college players.

Top 10:
Rendon
Purke
Springer
Cole
Bradley Jr
Jungmann
Gray
Bauer
Barnes
Dickerson

That's a 3B, 3 OF, and 6 SP.