Author Topic: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread  (Read 70410 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread
« Reply #25: January 18, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »
Cole was a kid who passed on the NYY when they drafted him in the first round.
That makes me like him so much.

Offline RD

« Reply #26: January 19, 2011, 12:09:55 AM »
Have a hard time seeing the Pirates passing on Rendon. They just took two power arms last year. They'll take the 'sure' bat, and best player in the draftin Rendon.

Also have a hard time believing that Cole would drop for signability. He didn't opt for college because the money was not enough. He just wanted to go to college. He's going to command big money, but I doubt it'll be too much for him to fall.

If anyone slides, it's Purke. He turned down ridiculous money out of high school. He's a draft eligible sophomore. He has much more leverage than Cole, or any of the other guys at the top. If he returns for his junior season, and has a dominant season, he could approach Strasburg type money.

Of course, Purke is the guy Id want most for us. Imagine having a power lefty to follow up Strasburg in the rotation. That would be disgusting.

With that said, I still expect Rendon, Cole, and Purke to go in the top 5.

It's a long way to go, but if things go the way most expect, I guess I'd hope for George Springer or Daniel Norris. Springer could be another exciting outfielder to pair with Harper, and Norris has big time upside as a HS lefty.

I don't think Hultzen is worth the #6 pick in the draft. He's a safe pick, and a local kid, but there's better talent out there. We still need impact bats and front line starters. Not a middle/back end rotation guy in an overdraft, because he's local.

The LAC crowd would go nuts on that pick.

The kid I want is Henry Owens, at 23. He could go a tad higher, but i think thats a realistic spot for him. Projectable lefty at 6'5, and very thin. Already hits 90, and will most definitely add more as he comes. He's got a lot of Zito(not the current day Zito) and Hamels in him. For a late first rounder, I think it's a great value and upside pick.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #27: January 19, 2011, 12:34:40 AM »
Excellent write up.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #28: January 19, 2011, 01:41:43 AM »
I want Bradley Jr. He won my hometown school it's first major championship.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #29: January 19, 2011, 05:49:21 AM »
RD thanks for the writeup.  I won't pretend to be an expert on this year's prospects or prospects in general, but I'm wary of tall skinny pitchers.  It seems to me that the ones with the workhorse build succeed at a higher rate - I have nothing to back this up, just a general observation.  It looks to me like a thick torso and thick legs are a common trait among many of today's really good pitchers.  Sure, there are tall skinny guys like Cole Hamels, and short skinny guys like Lincecum, and even shorter stocky guys like Oswalt - but the Felix's, Halladay's and Strasburg's and several more have that massive build.

That said, I just want whoever we draft to succeed - I have no idea who we should actually draft.  I do think finding another #1/2 pitcher to go with Stras and Zimmermann and maybe Solis in 2012 is pretty appealing.  The CF prospect could work here, too.  It's not like there would be a lot in the system blocking him from reaching the majors.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #30: January 19, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #31: January 19, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
Here's another mock draft, this one is from ProspectJunkies.com.

1. Pittsburgh Pirates - Anthony Rendon - 3B - Rice. 6'0" 190. The best amateur player in the country.

2. Seattle Mariners - Matt Purke - LHP - TCU. 6'4" 180. The unsigned 14th overall pick from 2009 draft should go even earlier as a draft eligible sophomore.

3. Arizona Diamondbacks - Gerrit Cole - RHP - UCLA. 6'4" 220. Like Purke, Cole is another unsigned former 1st rounder (NYY - '08 - 28th overall).

4. Baltimore Orioles - Bubba Starling - OF/RHP - Gardner Edgerton HS (KS). 6'4" 180. College Commitment: Nebraska (Football). He'll be a tough sign and much more likely to slide down draft boards and get well above average bonus offers.

5. Kansas City Royals - Taylor Jungmann - RHP - Texas. 6'6" 195.

6. Washington Nationals - Daniel Norris - LHP - Science Hill HS (TN). 6'3" 180. College Commitment: Clemson

7. Arizona Diamondbacks (for failure to sign Barret Loux) - Jackie Bradley Jr. - OF - South Carolina. 5'10" 175.

8. Cleveland Indians - George Springer - OF - Connecticut. 6'3" 205.

9. Chicago Cubs - Sonny Gray - RHP - Vanderbilt. 6'0" 185. The Cubs took a flyer on him in 2008 (27th Round) knowing it would be tough to sign him away from Vanderbilt. Makes sense they'd take him again.

10. San Diego Padres (for failure to sign Karsten Whitson) - Archie Bradley - RHP - Broken Arrow HS (OK). 6'4" 210. College Commitment: Oklahoma.

11. Houston Astros - Dillon Howard - RHP - Searcy HS (AR). 6'2" 200. College Commitment: Arkansas.

12. Milwaukee Brewers - Matt Barnes - RHP - Connecticut. 6'3" 180.

13. New York Mets - John Stilson - RHP - Texas A&M. 6'4" 190. The Mets may draft a stud reliever so they can stop using their blue chip starting pitching prospects in the bullpen.

14. Florida Marlins - Dylan Bundy - RHP - Owasso HS (OK). 6'1" 200.

15. Milwaukee Brewers (for failure to sign Dylan Covey) - Trevor Bauer - RHP - UCLA. 6'1" 175. Tim Lincecum comps are ludicrous, but he's still very good.

16. Los Angeles Dodgers - Danny Hultzen - LHP - Virginia. 6'2" 195. 2011 will be his 3rd year as the ace for a good Virginia team.

17. Los Angeles Angles - Blake Swihart - C - Cleveland HS (NM). 6'0" 175. College Commitment: Texas.

18. Oakland Athletics - Josh Bell - OF - 6'3" 205. Jesuit Prep School of Dallas (TX). College Commitment: Texas.

19. Boston Red Sox (from Tigers for Victor Martinez) - Francisco Lindor - SS - Montverde Academy (FL). 5'11" 175. College Commitment: Florida State.

20. Colorado Rockies - Tyler Anderson - LHP - Oregon. 6'3" 195.

21. Toronto Blue Jays - Jason Esposito - 3B - Vanderbilt. 6'1" 195.

22. St. Louis Cardinals - Derek Fisher - OF - Ceder Crest HS (PA). 6'3" 210. College Commitment: Virginia.

23. Washington Nationals (from White Sox for Adam Dunn) - Alex Meyer - RHP - Kentucky. 6'9" 210. This ranking is based purely on talent and not on results. Here's hoping Meyer has a Matt Harvey like turn around in 2011.

http://www.prospectjunkies.com/2011/01/2011-mlb-mock-draft-10.html

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #32: January 19, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
We need all the D. Norrises we can get. Also, Chuck Norris.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #33: January 19, 2011, 10:13:26 AM »
I like the idea of drafting a Bubba.

The name Jackie Bradley Jr. also has some star power.  Almost brings to mind Willy Mays Hayes.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #34: January 19, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
I'm starting to get a good feeling about Jackie Bradley. Tyler Durden is right... Jackie Bradley Jr is the kind of name you expect to hear announcers to say a lot, glowingly.

22. St. Louis Cardinals - Derek Fisher

:shock:

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #35: January 19, 2011, 01:11:48 PM »
Bubba Starling, please.

Kid is a superior athlete and projects as a gold-glove level CFer.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #36: January 19, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »
Bubba Starling, please.

Kid is a superior athlete and projects as a gold-glove level CFer.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I need him as my QB first.  If the Nats take him, I'll be torn.  I need him to drop a ways so he doesn't sign.  Then in 3 years, go for it.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #37: January 19, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I need him as my QB first.  If the Nats take him, I'll be torn.  I need him to drop a ways so he doesn't sign.  Then in 3 years, go for it.
Haha, how'd I know you'd respond to this?

Until Bo gets over his love affair with TMart it won't matter, anyways.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #38: January 19, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Haha, how'd I know you'd respond to this?

Until Bo gets over his love affair with TMart it won't matter, anyways.
Heh, we'll see.  Some of the stuff we're hearing from some of the incoming recruits might indicate otherwise, but TMart needs to figure out how to avoid injury first.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #39: January 22, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »
New Mock draft 1-22-11

1. (Pirates) LHP Matt Purke TCU
2. (Mariners) 3B Anthony Rendon RICE
3. (DiBacks) RHP Gerrit Cole UCLA
4. (Orioles) LHP Daniel Norris HS (TEN)
5. (Royals) OF Bubba Starling HS (KAN)
6. (Nats) RHP Taylor Jungmann TEX
7. (DiBacks) OF George Springer UCONN
8. (Indians) OF Jackie Bradley SC
9. (CUBS) RHP Sonny Gray VANDY
10. (Padres) LHP Danny Hultzen UVA
11. (Astros) 3B/OF/1B Travis Harrison HS (CA)
12. (Brewers) RHP Matt Barnes UCONN
13. (Mets) C Blake Swihart HS (NM)
14. (Marlins) RHP Dylan Bundy HS (OK)
15. (Brewers) SS Francisco Lindor HS (FL)
16. (Dodgers) RHP Alex Meyer KY
17. (Angels) RHP Archie Bradley HS (OK)
18. (Athletics) RHP Trevor Bauer UCLA
19. (Redsox) SS Christian Lopes HS (CA)
20. (Rockies) LHP Henry Owens HS (CA)
21. (BlueJays) OF Dwight Smith HS (GA)
22. (Cardinals) RHP Jack Armstrong VANDY
23. (Nats) RHP Austin Wood USC
24. (Rays) 3B Jason Esposito Vandy
25. (Padres) RHP Dillon Howard HS (ARK)
26. (Redsox) RHP Tyler Beede HS (MA)
27. (Reds) OF Mikie Mahtook LSU
28. (Braves) OF Alex Dickerson IND
29. (Giants) 2B Josh Tobias HS (NC)
30. (Twins) RHP Michael Kelly HS (FL)
31. (Rays) 1B Preston Tucker FLA
32. (Rays) LHP Jed Bradley GT
33. (Rangers) SS BA Vollmouth S.Miss

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #40: January 22, 2011, 02:48:47 PM »
Two RHP, hmm.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #41: January 22, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »
Two RHP, hmm.
Yeah. Best players available. And if that means two RHP then so be it. You can always trade one.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #42: January 22, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »
I just don't see Rizzo passing on two OF who can play D, have good offensive skills, and are college kids who could advance through the system quickly.  If Springer/Bradley are there I have to think one of them is taken by the Nats.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #43: January 22, 2011, 02:58:09 PM »
I really want Daniel Norris to fall to 6. This HS kid can pitch and hit. He's perfect for the NL.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #44: January 22, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »
Jungmann report

http://www.baseballrumormill.com/players/taylor-jungmann/

Jungmann is somewhat of a combination of Gerrit Cole and Bubba Meyer. He is tall and wiry like Cole, using a lot of arm as part of his delivery, and he’s like Meyer in that he has a very good fastball and shows the ability to spot it extremely well early in his young career. That fastball sits in the low-90s and can touch 95. He also shows the foundation for a knock-out slider and a plus-changeup. His mechanics need some work, as he can get a little out of rhythm at times making his delivery look like his arms and legs are all over the place, but that’s nothing a little refining and maturation at the next level can’t cure.

Wood report

http://www.collegesummerbaseball.net/2011/01/top-performers-from-2010-austin-wood.html

Wood has the size (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) and arm strength (a mid-90s fastball that reached 99 mph during the playoffs) scouts covet, and he made progress with his changeup. He's not a finished project, however, as his heater can get straight and he doesn't have great feel for his slurvy slider.

"He's the best pitching prospect in the league," Cotuit manager Mike Roberts said. "He sat at 95-96 every game out and looked like a young Josh Beckett. After he goes to Southern California, he could be one of the first five or 10 picks in next year's draft."

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #45: January 22, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »
I just don't see Rizzo passing on two OF who can play D, have good offensive skills, and are college kids who could advance through the system quickly.  If Springer/Bradley are there I have to think one of them is taken by the Nats.
You got to understand, Taylor Jungmann in any other draft could go #1 overall. I think Rizzo would always take a good pitcher over a good hitter any day.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #46: January 22, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »
Jungmann report

http://www.baseballrumormill.com/players/taylor-jungmann/

Wood report

http://www.collegesummerbaseball.net/2011/01/top-performers-from-2010-austin-wood.html

This just shows you how deep this draft is. I love that we have 3 picks in the top 40. Letting Dunn go was a smart idea for long term future of this team.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #47: January 22, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »
You got to understand, Taylor Jungmann in any other draft could go #1 overall. I think Rizzo would always take a good pitcher over a good hitter any day.

This will be 3 years in a row he couldn't have gone #1 overall.  He's not anywhere near Strasburg or Harper and not even Rendon, Purke or Cole.

I've seen several sources rating him from a top 5 pick all the way down to 2nd team All-American.  I don't see that variance on the top guys like Purke, Cole and Rendon or even on the 2nd tier like Springer and Bradley.

The most recent listing I've seen has him 6th amongst college players while the top 5 is yet to be released and both Springer and Bradley are yet to be named.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/category/2011-season-coverage/2011-cbb-top-100-players/

Obviously there's going to be some movement but if things hold where they are I'd much rather see one of the OF if there's no real difference or they rate higher.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #48: January 22, 2011, 04:06:26 PM »
I didn't know we drafted Alex Dickerson in the 08 draft 48round. If we drafted him a little earlier, he might've signed.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #49: January 22, 2011, 04:17:50 PM »
I like having the college pitcher.