Author Topic: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread  (Read 70409 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread
« Reply #150: February 13, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »
I don't understand how these projections change when there hasn't been a single pro, college or high school game played in months.  And if we take Bubba, I think I'll cry...

They're all by different sites, aren't they? The mocks will really start changing once games get going, though.

Is there any indication Starling will honor his commitment to Nebraska? Top ten money sets you up for life if you're smart.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #151: February 13, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »
They're all by different sites, aren't they? The mocks will really start changing once games get going, though.

Is there any indication Starling will honor his commitment to Nebraska? Top ten money sets you up for life if you're smart.
Right now he's saying it's "going to take a lot" to get him to not come to Nebraska, which is pretty vague.  The common consensus is that if he's drafted as high as he's projected he'll take the money (which he should).  His advisor is Boras, btw.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #152: February 13, 2011, 07:06:04 PM »
Right now he's saying it's "going to take a lot" to get him to not come to Nebraska, which is pretty vague.  The common consensus is that if he's drafted as high as he's projected he'll take the money (which he should).  His advisor is Boras, btw.

Call Robbie Ray and ask him about it (LANC) :P

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #153: February 13, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »
I feel like Gomez Addams "Has the world gone mad!"  There's noway the Nats take 2 HS kids with their first 2 picks. I can see them taking one with the 23rd or 34th picks, but not the 6.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #154: February 13, 2011, 07:56:27 PM »
Hey DPMOmaha. They dissin your boy Jackie Bradley. They got him at 19.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #155: February 13, 2011, 09:38:30 PM »
Hey DPMOmaha. They dissin your boy Jackie Bradley. They got him at 19.
Jerks.  Unless he slides to us at 23 and we can get a stud pitcher at 6...

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #156: February 14, 2011, 12:01:19 AM »
I want at least one OF with either the 23rd or 34th pick. If any of them fall to the late 1st round, my top 5 choices would be George Springer, Jackie Bradley, Alex Dickerson, Bubba Starling, Travis Harrison.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #157: February 14, 2011, 12:21:58 AM »
I want at least one OF with either the 23rd or 34th pick. If any of them fall to the late 1st round, my top 5 choices would be George Springer, Jackie Bradley, Alex Dickerson, Bubba Starling, Travis Harrison.

I wonder if Dickerson would be it considering we drafted him before.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #158: February 14, 2011, 06:44:58 AM »
This is the quote from that website on why Jackie Bradley falls in their latest mock:

---------
Jackie Bradley and Josh Bell are two players I feel have the greatest chance to slip a little in the draft. I could see Bradley going as high as number five overall to the Royals at this stage, but if he doesn't I could see him falling a little since the teams between the Royals at #5 and the Red Sox at #19 have a history of shying away from pricier picks and/or Scott Boras advisees.
---------

I'm not sure why whoever writes for that site hasn't taken notice of Rizzo's relationship with Boras and two rather high profile, high dollar draftees we've taken the past couple of years.  The writer does say that he takes into account teams with multiple high draft picks wanting spread their draft money around and pick less pricey options.  I don't see how we come away with a high schooler with a strong football commitment in that scenario, though.

Nothing has really changed my mind about the need for more quality pitching.  It would be nice to get another big bat or two in the system, but good bats are available in free agency every year.  Good pitchers usually aren't.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #159: February 14, 2011, 09:40:35 AM »
This is the quote from that website on why Jackie Bradley falls in their latest mock:

---------
Jackie Bradley and Josh Bell are two players I feel have the greatest chance to slip a little in the draft. I could see Bradley going as high as number five overall to the Royals at this stage, but if he doesn't I could see him falling a little since the teams between the Royals at #5 and the Red Sox at #19 have a history of shying away from pricier picks and/or Scott Boras advisees.
---------

I'm not sure why whoever writes for that site hasn't taken notice of Rizzo's relationship with Boras and two rather high profile, high dollar draftees we've taken the past couple of years.  The writer does say that he takes into account teams with multiple high draft picks wanting spread their draft money around and pick less pricey options.  I don't see how we come away with a high schooler with a strong football commitment in that scenario, though.
The guy who wrote that said in the comment section "Sorry for not being more clear, but I felt the Nationals were somewhat implied since I had them taking Bubba Starling."

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #160: February 14, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
I wonder if Dickerson would be it considering we drafted him before.
That's why I got him in my top 5. I know the Nats would love to draft him again and get him signed this time.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #161: February 20, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=4075

Some notes from recent college baseball action - JBJ looks like he'll be solid if not really really good if he can stick in CF.
------------
UCLA ace Gerrit Cole out-dueled San Francisco's Matt Lujan, 1-0, in a game where both pitchers went the distance. Cole needed just 104 pitches to rack up 11 strikeouts while allowing just one walk and four hits over nine scoreless frames. Lujan (8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 9 K) was outstanding as well, shutting the Bruins down after the first.

Not to be outdone, Texas' own first-team preseason All-American, Jr. RHP Taylor Jungmann also threw an opening day shutout, using just 95 pitches to strike out nine while giving up just five hits and a walk in an 8-0 win against Maryland. I heard a second-hand report that Jungmann's velocity has been up this spring—that he's touched the high 90s. Seems he's in midseason form already.

Another All-America two-way player, Virginia LHP/DH Danny Hultzen, also had a big day in a 6-4 win against Alabama-Birmingham. Hultzen struck out 10 while allowing just one run on three hits and a walk over 6 2/3 innings, and he went 2-for-4 with three RBIs to lead the offense.

First-team preseason All-American Jackie Bradley Jr. (4-for-4, 3 R, 2 2B, HR, 3 RBI) picked up where he left off in the College World Series, where he was the Most Outstanding Player. Bradley helped power defending national champion South Carolina to a 12-5 win against Santa Clara. The Gamecocks got a nice start from fellow CWS hero Michael Roth (5.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K).

Mikie Mahtook homered twice to help Louisiana State jump out to a 13-0 lead after three innings, en route to a 15-4 laugher against Wake Forest.

Texas Christian So. LHP Matt Purke: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K in 8-2 win vs. Kansas
-------------

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #162: February 20, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »

Not to be outdone, Texas' own first-team preseason All-American, Jr. RHP Taylor Jungmann also threw an opening day shutout, using just 95 pitches to strike out nine while giving up just five hits and a walk in an 8-0 win against Maryland. I heard a second-hand report that Jungmann's velocity has been up this spring—that he's touched the high 90s. Seems he's in midseason form already.

First-team preseason All-American Jackie Bradley Jr. (4-for-4, 3 R, 2 2B, HR, 3 RBI) picked up where he left off in the College World Series, where he was the Most Outstanding Player. Bradley helped power defending national champion South Carolina to a 12-5 win against Santa Clara.

Jungmann is definitely one to watch. Kid's been on my radar since the playoffs last year against Rice, when a friend at the game texted me asking what I knew about him, saying he was "f*cking scary good." Sounds like JBJ didn't miss a beat.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #163: February 20, 2011, 11:18:54 AM »
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=4075

Some notes from recent college baseball action - JBJ looks like he'll be solid if not really really good if he can stick in CF.
------------
UCLA ace Gerrit Cole out-dueled San Francisco's Matt Lujan, 1-0, in a game where both pitchers went the distance. Cole needed just 104 pitches to rack up 11 strikeouts while allowing just one walk and four hits over nine scoreless frames. Lujan (8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 9 K) was outstanding as well, shutting the Bruins down after the first.

Another All-America two-way player, Virginia LHP/DH Danny Hultzen, also had a big day in a 6-4 win against Alabama-Birmingham. Hultzen struck out 10 while allowing just one run on three hits and a walk over 6 2/3 innings, and he went 2-for-4 with three RBIs to lead the offense.

First-team preseason All-American Jackie Bradley Jr. (4-for-4, 3 R, 2 2B, HR, 3 RBI) picked up where he left off in the College World Series, where he was the Most Outstanding Player. Bradley helped power defending national champion South Carolina to a 12-5 win against Santa Clara. The Gamecocks got a nice start from fellow CWS hero Michael Roth (5.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K).

Mikie Mahtook homered twice to help Louisiana State jump out to a 13-0 lead after three innings, en route to a 15-4 laugher against Wake Forest.

Texas Christian So. LHP Matt Purke: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K in 8-2 win vs. Kansas
-------------
Jungmann's a beast, Jackie Bardley's a beast, Danny Hultzen's a beast. Maryland baseball is on the way up. Mikie Mahtook may be the sleeper of the draft. This is going to be one of the most talented draft classes that I can remember. Rizzo knew what he was doing when he let Dunn go and took the 2 picks.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #164: February 20, 2011, 12:30:26 PM »
Jungmann's a beast, Jackie Bardley's a beast, Danny Hultzen's a beast. Maryland baseball is on the way up. Mikie Mahtook may be the sleeper of the draft. This is going to be one of the most talented draft classes that I can remember. Rizzo knew what he was doing when he let Dunn go and took the 2 picks.

I don't think you'll find many that agree with that statement.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #165: February 20, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »
I don't think you'll find many that agree with that statement.
Those people need to think about the future.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #166: February 20, 2011, 02:24:37 PM »
Trevor Bauer was also pretty dominant.  7.2 innings, 2 hits, 10 strikeouts, 1 run.  4 walks, though.

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2010-2011/ucla02.html

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #167: February 20, 2011, 02:27:22 PM »
Also - I didn't know Hultzen could hit, too.  That could make him even more appealing to us on top of being a solid college lefty and a local.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #168: February 20, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »
Trevor Bauer was also pretty dominant.  7.2 innings, 2 hits, 10 strikeouts, 1 run.  4 walks, though.

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2010-2011/ucla02.html

The run was unearned.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #169: February 20, 2011, 02:51:56 PM »
Those people need to think about the future.

The future where the majority of the draft picks fail, right?

That is, if the Nats draft follows every other draft in history.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #170: February 20, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »
The future where the majority of the draft picks fail, right?

That is, if the Nats draft follows every other draft in history.
I trust Rizzo and his staff.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #171: February 20, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »
What does that have to do with the history of the draft?

What secrets do they know that every other GM didn't?

Offline zoom

« Reply #172: February 20, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
From Keith Law (per ESPN):

With college baseball's Division I schedule starting up on Friday night, here's a preseason look at the top 50 prospects for this year's Rule 4 draft, a class that is as loaded as any I can remember. It shows great strength in college and high school pitching and has some depth in college outfielders, with athleticism on display all over the place.

It's also the last draft under the current CBA, and with MLB threatening to implement hard slotting, players are expected to sign more readily while teams focused on acquiring amateur talent are expected to blow out their draft budgets.

After the top 50, I've listed a few more names of players who could end up Day 1 picks, potentially high ones, depending on how their seasons go. I'll have more thoughts tomorrow in the MLB Draft Blog on the candidates to go No. 1 overall.

Big Board Bar

Anthony Rendon
3B
6-0

Analysis: The presumptive No. 1 overall pick, but by no means a lock. Rendon has an outstanding approach at the plate with great bat speed, and he's a plus defender at third. He's recovering from his second major ankle injury and will have to show he hasn't lost any agility.

George Springer
OF
6-3

Analysis: An athletic outfielder with an above-average arm who projects to hit and hit for power and just needs to refine his approach, especially with two strikes.

Gerrit Cole
RHP
6-4
Gardner H.S.

Analysis: Huge arm strength combined with results and some small signs of increasing maturity since high school.

Bubba Starling
CF/P
6-5

Analysis: The Golden Child with the name to match, Starling is committed to play baseball and football at Nebraska, but an entire industry is hoping he chooses baseball. He's got five tools at the plate and is very projectable on the mound, with a higher ceiling as a hitter.

Sonny Gray
RHP
5-11

Analysis: Some teams will shy away from right-handers under 6 feet, but Gray is a fierce competitor who will reach 96 with good run and a hard breaking ball that would miss bats in pro ball right away.

Matt Barnes
LHP
6-4

Analysis: Regularly 92-96 with a hard curveball and an average changeup and a delivery that's gotten a little cleaner since he entered UConn as an unheralded and undrafted freshman in 2008.
Matt Purke
LHP
6-4

Analysis: Big stuff from the left side with outstanding performance as a freshman last year, but the low arm slot and concerns about his workload have him below a few other college arms.
Francisco Lindor
SS
5-11
Monteverde Academy

Analysis: A true shortstop with feel to hit and surprising pop for his size as well as a ton of energy on the field that will help elevate him in June.
Archie Bradley
RHP
6-3
Broken Arrow H.S.

Analysis: Committed to Oklahoma to play quarterback, Bradley is a monster on the mound, up to 96 with a plus breaking ball and an ideal combination of size and athleticism for a workhorse starter.
Blake Swihart
C
6-1
Rio Rancho H.S.

Analysis: Switch-hitting catchers are rare beasts, and Swihart has made a lot of progress in just a year and a half at the position; he has arm strength but has to improve his footwork and receiving to justify my aggressive ranking here.
Taylor Jungmann
RHP
6-6

Analysis: Scouts dislike the way he finishes the delivery but are consistent in praise of his stuff and history of performance.
Jed Bradley
LHP
6-4

Analysis: Reportedly hitting 97 in preseason workouts, even at 90-94 with an above-average changeup he's one of the premium college pitchers in this draft.
Dylan Bundy
LHP
6-1
Owasso H.S.

Analysis: Brother of Orioles farmhand Bobby Bundy, Dylan will show four pitches and has been up to 95 in the past.
Dillon Howard
RHP
6-2
Searcy H.S.

Analysis: Big and physical, up to 95 with a hard curveball, and a strong commitment to the University of Arkansas.
Jackie Bradley Jr.
CF
5-10

Analysis: Probably the draft's best defensive center fielder, this Bradley is a four-tool player who needs to avoid getting power-happy at the plate and focus on using the whole field.
Nick Delmonico
C/3B
6-2
Farragut H.S.

Analysis: A baseball rat with good bloodlines and a big-time hit tool; he's most likely a third baseman in pro ball, but will play both spots this spring and could convince a team to leave him behind the dish.
Brian Goodwin
CF
6-1

Analysis: Has looked rusty so far this season but is one of the most exciting athletes in the draft, with plus-plus speed and a sound approach at the plate.
Andrew Susac
C
6-1

Analysis: Draft-eligible as a sophomore, Susac has raw power and arm strength but has to show he can hit better pitching, which he'll see plenty of this spring in the Pac-10.
Danny Hultzen
LHP
6-3

Analysis: Famous in draft circles for the wrong reasons -- like his father's tantrum when the Diamondbacks took a flier on him in the 10th round in 2008 -- Hultzen has performed extremely well across two years as a command lefty with good feel but no single plus pitch.
Jason Esposito
3B
6-2

Analysis: Can hit and hit for power, with a refined approach last year that came from quieting his lower half. Could probably play second if asked but he's above average at third.
Daniel Norris
LHP
6-2
Science Hill H.S.

Analysis: Not as physical as a Howard or a Bradley or as polished as Bundy, but he'll show above-average velocity with some downhill plane.
Josh Bell
OF
6-3
Dallas Jesuit H.S.

Analysis: Made a lot of progress on his swing while recovering from a minor knee injury last summer, using his lower half better; he has a very advanced approach and above-average raw power but is probably limited to a corner outfield spot or first base.
Alex Meyer
RHP
6-9

Analysis: Hit 100 in a recent scrimmage with good sink on the fastball and a wipeout slider, but bad results and perceived lack of toughness prevent his top-of-the-draft stuff from putting him at the top of the draft.
Henry Owens
LHP
6-5
Edison H.S.

Analysis: Solid-average fastball, above-average changeup, good feel, great deception, good body, not the cleanest arm action.
Trevor Bauer
RHP
6-2

Analysis: Results are outstanding in a tough conference, but high workloads and unusual training style dominate conversations about him.
Levi Michael
SS
5-10

Analysis: Switch-hitting shortstop who would be above average if he's forced to return to second but should be able to stay at short.
Tyler Beede
RHP
6-4
Lawrence Academy

Analysis: Will flash above-average velocity but it's the command, the feel, the off-speed stuff, even the two-seamer, that gets you excited here.
Austin Hedges
C
6-1
Junipero Serra H.S.

Analysis: Best catch-and-throw prep catcher in the country with some questions on his bat and a lot of rumors about his unsignability.
Alex Dickerson
LF
6-3

Analysis: Dickerson can hit and shows big raw power in BP, but will be limited defensively to left field or first base; his bat right now looks good enough to profile at either spot.
Travis Harrison
3B
6-2
Tustin H.S.

Analysis: Perhaps SoCal's best pure bat among preps, Harrison can hit and should hit for power, but he's somewhat slow-twitch and could be ticketed for first base.
Ryan Carpenter
LHP
6-5

Analysis: Huge left-hander with stuff more average than you'd think from his size. Should benefit from a tough schedule that has him matching up with a number of other major college arms.
Michael Kelly
RHP
6-3
West Boca Raton H.S.

Analysis: University of Florida commit with a tall, projectable frame, up to 93 comfortably now but with more in there; needs to make better use of his height to stay on top of the ball.
Jason Coats
OF
6-2

Analysis: Hard-hitting corner outfielder with strong hands and average power projecting better, but very questionable pitch recognition may keep him out of the first round.
Scott McGough
RHP
6-1

Analysis: Solid-average fastball with above-average changeup and good feel, but doesn't have a big frame for durability.
Anthony Meo
RHP
6-2

Analysis: Will show mid-90s but area scouts largely peg him as a future reliever based on results and minor arm woes last summer.
Shawon Dunston Jr.
OF
6-2
Valley Christian H.S.

Analysis: Center fielder who's a plus runner, has good bat speed, uses his hips well and showed a good approach last summer.
Tyler Anderson
LHP
6-4

Analysis: Las Vegas native is up to 93 with a hard slurve that he'll use against both left- and right-handed hitters.
Mikie Mahtook
OF
6-1

Analysis: Belongs here if you believe he can stay in center field; if not, he's a third-rounder or worse, as the bat doesn't profile in a corner.
Jose Fernandez
RHP
6-4
Alonso H.S.

Analysis: Up to 98 already this spring with much better shape to his breaking ball.
Philip Evans
SS
5-10
La Costa Canyon H.S.

Analysis: "Ballplayer" type who lacks a standout tool but has good feel for the bat and for the middle infield.
Joe Ross
RHP
6-2
Bishop O'Dowd H.S.

Analysis: Tyson's little brother has a much cleaner delivery and easier arm action with low-90s stuff and a chance for more.
Robert Stephenson
RHP
6-2
Alhambra H.S.

Analysis: Good frame and two average or better pitches with some violence in the delivery.
Brandon Nimmo
OF
6-2
Cheyenne East H.S.

Analysis: Athletic outfielder whose high school lacks a baseball team and will spend the spring with his Legion club instead.
Blake Forslund
RHP
6-3

Analysis: Formerly of UVa, Forslund is one of a handful of pop-up college arms (Kent State redshirt sophomore LHP Andrew Chafin is another) who showed good velocity in fall ball and put themselves on the preseason map.
Tyler Goeddel
OF
6-4
St. Francis H.S.

Analysis: Younger brother of Mets farmhand Erik -- and son of biotech pioneer David Goeddel -- Tyler's main drawback now is lack of strength, with a frame he should grow into over the next few years.
Charles Tilson
OF
6-0
New Trier H.S.

Analysis: Star of last year's Area Code Games, Tilson can run and hit with some pop but won't face much quality pitching this spring.
Scott Lyman
RHP
6-4

Analysis: Brother of Atlanta farmhand Jeff Lyman, Scott will sit 93-95 with a hammer curveball and some feel for a changeup.
Taylor Guerrieri
RHP
6-3
Spring Valley H.S.

Analysis: Up to 96 in the fall and in early workouts, he's committed to South Carolina and faces some questions about his delivery.
Logan Verrett
RHP
6-3

Analysis: Up-and-down summer on the Cape dimmed his stock but he'll show good velocity and both a curve and slider as a starter.
Cory Spangenberg
SS
6-0
Indian River College

Analysis: Former VMI Keydet is committed to Miami for 2011-12 but seems unlikely to get there, as his bat outweighs questions over his position.
TEN TO WATCH
Rank   Player   Pos.   School   
--   Brian Brickhouse   RHP   The Woodlands H.S. (TX)   
--   Kevin Cron    C/1B   Mountain Pointe H.S. (AZ)    
--   C.J. Cron   C   Utah   
--   Dylan Davis   RHP   Redmond H.S. (WA)   
--   Johnny Eierman   SS   Warsaw H.S. (MO)   
--   James Harris Jr.   OF   Oakland Technical H.S. (CA)   
--   Harold Martinez   3B   Miami (FL)   
--   Dwight Smith   OF   McIntosh H.S. (GA)   
--   John Stilson   RHP   Texas A&M   
--   Carl Thomore   OF   East Brunswick H.S. (NJ)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #173: February 20, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »

Trevor Bauer
RHP
6-2

Analysis: Results are outstanding in a tough conference, but high workloads and unusual training style dominate conversations about him.

Wow, that's low. Low enough to get me stoked for a JBJ + Bauer draft. Of course, they still have to play the season.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #174: February 20, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »
Brian "crap" Brickhouse - draft him for the nickname