Author Topic: Define Natitude  (Read 118658 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Define Natitude - Get R Done
« Reply #600: January 09, 2012, 08:23:05 PM »
super-funded?  do you mean financing or do you mean hazardous waste clean up?  It is not a superfund site.
I mean when they test the soil will it become a ridiculously expensive cleanup that will never be worth it (not super fund per se)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #601: January 09, 2012, 08:40:31 PM »
I mean when they test the soil will it become a ridiculously expensive cleanup that will never be worth it (not super fund per se)

I doubt that.  Maybe some diesel from the trucks, other vehicle-related fluids, but not much of any other industry on the site.  This was not a quarry.  I'll assume that any asbestos in the building just demolished was handled properly.  I don't think there was a rail spur on the site.  This probably isn't much dirtier than a gas station. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #602: January 09, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
I doubt that.  Maybe some diesel from the trucks, other vehicle-related fluids, but not much of any other industry on the site.  This was not a quarry.  I'll assume that any asbestos in the building just demolished was handled properly.  I don't think there was a rail spur on the site.  This probably isn't much dirtier than a gas station. 

I'd imagine the old Metro maintenance garage site is much worse

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #603: January 09, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »
Tiring of the waiting game/having fun being liberal with the feature.

Shouldn't it be "Git R Done"?

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #604: January 10, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »
Technically it's Git-R-Done, right?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #605: January 10, 2012, 06:55:37 AM »
Shouldn't it be "Git R Done"?

Not really much of a Larry the cable guy fan I guess, although I did enjoy his appearances on 98 Rock way back in the day.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Define Natitude - Git-Fielder-Dunn
« Reply #606: January 11, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »

The Reds have just announced their winter caravan.  Like the Pirates this year (and the Nats in the past) the tour brings them across state lines into West Virginia.  They have three separate tour buses hitting 15 stops in four days, consisting of northern, southern, and western swings.  Over the four days for each bus they will be spending several hours at each stop, requiring them to spend several nights at hotels along the way.  Can you believe this?  Real money being spent to promote a small market team.

Oh, and they have players along for the ride.  Amazing that the Reds (along with the Pirates and Os) can find players willing to take time off to join the caravan.  Our jerk off players can't be bothered to give up a weekend to promote the team.  Right?  That is the company line coming out of Nats Park, that it is the player's fault that we don't have a fan fest, our guys aren't available in the winter, it has nothing to do with our ownership group not wanting to spend the money.  Because if our players aren't total douche bags, that would mean that our FO is lying to us, blaming the players rather than admitting that they are too cheap to set up a winter tour like the financial juggernauts that are the Reds and Pirates.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/fan_forum/caravan.jsp?partnerId=ed-5543520-243148248

(Time for PowerBoater69 to have some dinner, drink a beer, and calm down.  The Fielder news today is very upsetting.  May be some more activity in this thread later tonight.)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #607: January 11, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »
Should change thread title to something about "our budget"

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #608: January 11, 2012, 06:03:57 PM »
Should change thread title to something about "our budget"

I've already got a thought about that, the name of a popular Who song, a bit cliche but it fits.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #609: January 11, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »
:crackup:

I've said before, I said it on here earlier today, and I'll say it again - the Lerners do not care about this team building a DC fan base.  It's pathetic what Nats Fest was last year and what it will probably be this year.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #610: January 11, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
The poster formerly known as NotLD posted this link online.  There is a company planning on setting up a number of pick-up locations in the outer burbs to deliver fans to Nats Park and back again this season.  They are taking votes on which routes would be most used.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ballpark-Bus-to-Nationals-Park/226556244085397?sk=wall

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #611: January 11, 2012, 09:08:27 PM »
I hope they aren't just doing this in the DC area, they'll be broke by the All-Star break.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #612: January 11, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »
Calming down, hoping that the Nats are just using Ladson to send a message to Boras that they aren't budging on their bid because the alternative is too painful to consider.

Also happy because I just found out that there is a son of a pro franchise owner named Mark who is even dopier than our boy here in DC:

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #613: January 11, 2012, 10:40:56 PM »
you know that we have problems when our owners are content to aim for being a town not a nation

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #614: January 11, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »
BOWL CUT!

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #615: January 12, 2012, 02:09:37 AM »
Yesterday gave us all the Natitude slogans we'll ever need.

"Some in the organization are scared by the idea of owing two players $40-45 million." SCARED -- NATITUDE!  8)
Below is a meeting of the committee that every Nats personnel decision is presented to:

"What if it goes badly??!?!?!?" -- NATITUDE!!  8) 8)
What accursed misfortune ever led us into the scary and perilous world of MLB management!  It's not as if we asked for this:

"With our budget, it'd wreck us for years." -- NATITUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!    8) 8) 8)
Careful, keep that big ol' piggy intact and unwrecked!

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Define Natitude: What if it goes badly??!?!?!?
« Reply #616: January 12, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
The poster formerly known as NotLD posted this link online.  There is a company planning on setting up a number of pick-up locations in the outer burbs to deliver fans to Nats Park and back again this season.  They are taking votes on which routes would be most used.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ballpark-Bus-to-Nationals-Park/226556244085397?sk=wall

Interesting concept. It might just work, especially if Metro keeps raising its fares. A lot of people drive to a Metro station so why not drive to a bus station?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #617: January 12, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
Holy crap, I'm tired of this crap, if the Lerners do not now accept Fielders terms they may expect a rain of ruin from the internet, the like of which has never been seen on this earth.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #618: January 12, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
Holy crap, I'm tired of this crap, if the Lerners do not now accept Fielders terms they may expect a rain of ruin from the internet, the like of which has never been seen on this earth.

but they are committed to building a winner! 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #619: January 12, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »
Never mind the 3 million dollar houses in Spring Valley that have WWI mustard gas shells rusting in the back yard.

I'd imagine the old Metro maintenance garage site is much worse

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #620: January 16, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »
Yesterday I pointed out an comment as one of the dumbest five arguments in the short history of the Nats message boards.  Not a nice way to put it, but in any case this morning I started wondering about the other four arguments that fit into this category.  Here's what I came up with:

5) Building a ballpark was a smart fiscal move for the city.
4) The Bowden/Kasten years set the team back, so the two/five year clock should reset with their departure.
3) The old man would have spent more money earlier but he didn't trust Bowden.
2) Allowing Soriano/Dunn to walk in exchange for compensation picks was the smart move by Jimbo/Rizzo.
All time dumbest: 1) The old man really did authorize Bowden/Rizzo to spend more, but the GMs decided to leave money on the table.

Honorable mention goes to Ryan Church's Uncle Lurch who had his nephew picked as ROY if Frank Robinson hadn't held him back.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #621: January 16, 2012, 08:15:34 AM »
All time dumbest: 1) The old man really did authorize Bowden/Rizzo to spend more, but the GMs decided to leave money on the table.

Wow.  Someone actually said that?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #622: January 16, 2012, 08:31:17 AM »
Wow.  Someone actually said that?

More than one poster has come to that conclusion over the past few years, I'll let the genius from the MLB board remain nameless, I've read the same thing here on WNFF but I can't recall the culprit.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #623: January 16, 2012, 08:39:26 AM »
Yesterday I pointed out an comment as one of the dumbest five arguments in the short history of the Nats message boards.  Not a nice way to put it, but in any case this morning I started wondering about the other four arguments that fit into this category.  Here's what I came up with:

5) Building a ballpark was a smart fiscal move for the city.
4) The Bowden/Kasten years set the team back, so the two/five year clock should reset with their departure.
3) The old man would have spent more money earlier but he didn't trust Bowden.
2) Allowing Soriano/Dunn to walk in exchange for compensation picks was the smart move by Jimbo/Rizzo.

Honorable mention goes to Ryan Church's Uncle Lurch who had his nephew picked as ROY if Frank Robinson hadn't held him back.
I'm not so sure about #5. There were people lined up trying to get a piece of the Ballpark. DeutscheBank made more than one proposal to the Dc Council to get a piece of the revenue streams. Ultimately, the District decided to keep the revenue streams to themselves.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/12/AR2005041200306.html

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #624: January 16, 2012, 09:06:21 AM »
I'm not so sure about #5. There were people lined up trying to get a piece of the Ballpark. DeutscheBank made more than one proposal to the Dc Council to get a piece of the revenue streams. Ultimately, the District decided to keep the revenue streams to themselves.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/12/AR2005041200306.html

Not quite, they were lining up to tear off a piece of whatever carcass that MLB left behind while raping Williams and the Council.  The only counter argument necessary for item #5 is that if building the ballpark was a good deal for the city you'd better believe that Selig and Dupay would have insisted on building it themselves, instead they saddled the District with a deal so bad that one can only hope that Williams took bribes rather than just being swindled.

To address the private financing in the article, notice that each of these solutions would have be been deals made directly with the city, as opposed to MLB working out their own financing.  The Deutsche Bank offer was simply a loan with worse terms than the city issued bonds; Deutsche is sure to have insisted on repayment via the first dollar of tax money collected at the park, leaving all the risk for the city.  The Miller offer required undefined development rights around the park (same deal that the United keep demanding from the city), not necessarily bad but I'm sure that the details were not in any way a good deal for the city.  The Gates deal was similar, they wanted to make their money off of parking (understandable why MLB would not have approved this one).

In any case the best option was to offer nothing but infrastructure improvements and tax breaks.  With the money in this area MLB would have come back in a few years with a better offer.  The net result of which would be that we would have waited longer for the team to get here, but this endless rebuilding crap would not have happened because ownership would have needed to fill the park in order to get their money back.