Author Topic: Tejada Changes His Age  (Read 1367 times)

Offline ronnynat

Tejada Changes His Age
« Topic Start: April 17, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »
I heard this a while ago, but for some reason it's just now coming out.

Tejada tells team he’s 33, sted 31

PHILADELPHIA (AP)—Houston Astros shortstop Miguel Tejada has told the team he’s actually 33, two years older than he’s listed in the club’s media guide and other baseball records.

Saying he wanted to rid himself of a burden, Tejada approached general manager Ed Wade and asked to correct misinformation he gave the Oakland Athletics when he signed in 1993.

“I was a poor kid,” Tejada said before the Astros finished a three-game series against the Phillies on Thursday. “I wanted to sign a professional contract, and that was the only way to do it. I didn’t want or mean to do anything wrong. At the time, I was two years older than they thought.”

Tejada was actually 19 when he signed out of poverty-stricken Bani, Dominican Republic. At the time, he says, a local coach encouraged him to say he was 17.

“It was brought to our attention that the date we carry for Tejada, the year of birth, is incorrect,” Wade said. “We told Miguel we were going to go ahead and make the appropriate changes and all the information was put forward. But the fact of the matter is he’s playing like he was 25.”

The former American League MVP was signed out of the Dominican Republic by Hall of Famer Juan Marichal, but he was clear Marichal had no part in the deception. Moreover, Wade and Tejada both said the shortstop’s green card, driver’s license and other legal papers in the United States reflect his actual birthday, May 25, 1974.

The Astros’ media guide lists his birthday as May 25, 1976.

“It’s something that happened the first time I signed my contract,” Tejada said. “I had no intention of doing anything wrong. And now I feel like I’m 25 years old, maybe younger. I feel my legs are stronger than I used to be feeling. I feel great. I have a lot of energy.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnBu5_uRzvaMNXohjGkN9IgRvLYF?slug=ap-tejada-wrongage&prov=ap&type=lgns

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
Re: Tejada Changes His Age
« Reply #1: April 17, 2008, 05:04:58 PM »
As long as his youthful exuberance isn't fueled by chemical substances, I don't think this is that big an issue at this point in his career.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #2: April 17, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
As long as his youthful exuberance isn't fueled by chemical substances, I don't think this is that big an issue at this point in his career.

I don't think so, either. I just don't understand why he did it in the first place. Is it because teams are that much more interested in players that are 17 than 19?

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #3: April 17, 2008, 05:33:03 PM »
Was he only 19 when he came over? 

I don't know.  I guess there is a perception, especially among latin players, that a 17 year old with Tejada like skills is a better investment than a 19 year old with Tejada like skills.  I can see when you're in your mid twenties how this might make a difference (a 23 year old draft pick with superior talent will be around longer than a 25 year old, and its even more pronounced at 27). 

For example, I was shocked to find out that Pablo Ozuna is in his 30s.  I always assumed he was a much younger player.  I don't know if he's ever been dishonest, but your perception of a player changes when you learn he's actually older than you think he is.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: April 17, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »
I don't think so, either. I just don't understand why he did it in the first place. Is it because teams are that much more interested in players that are 17 than 19?

Yes, that's why they lie about their age in the DR. He could potentially be even older. They usually sign them very young in the DR. A 17 year old kid is usually better than a 15 year old kid so if they can have the body and skills of a 17 year old and pass for 15 they appear to have bigger upside and are more likely to be signed and paid more attention to. It also helps in later years when it comes to contract negotiations. It wouldn't shock me to learn that a good number of Dominicans are older than what we believe them to be. Wasn't there someone here who insisted that this does not happen?

Offline daveb32

« Reply #5: April 17, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »
This makes you wonder about a certain Esmailyn Gonzalez doesn't it?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #6: April 17, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
This makes you wonder about a certain Esmailyn Gonzalez doesn't it?

Yes.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #7: April 17, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »
Remember when the league found out that El Duque was 4 years older than he had said?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #8: April 17, 2008, 06:39:19 PM »
That's why I contend Livan is much older than he claims to be.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: April 18, 2008, 08:57:41 AM »
I heard this a while ago, but for some reason it's just now coming out.

It's coming out because ESPN ambushed him with the question "how old are you", to which he responded "32", which is halfway between his reported age of 31, and documented age of 33.  The ESPN interviewer then whipped out his Dominican birth certificate, which showed 33 years old.  You could see the sweat breaking out on his forehead, as he began to stammer and mutter, then he stalked off, ending the interview. 

He then decided to fess up to the Astros, a little belatedly.

Yes, that's why they lie about their age in the DR. He could potentially be even older. They usually sign them very young in the DR. A 17 year old kid is usually better than a 15 year old kid so if they can have the body and skills of a 17 year old and pass for 15 they appear to have bigger upside and are more likely to be signed and paid more attention to. It also helps in later years when it comes to contract negotiations. It wouldn't shock me to learn that a good number of Dominicans are older than what we believe them to be.

This is an accurate assessment.  These poor kids will do anything to get a contract, it's borderline desperation.  The problem is, the liars sometimes get signed at the expense of the honest ones, not unlike what happens with steroid cheaters.  Tejada's pretty much covered all the bases, hasn't he?

The one mitigating factor, MLB clubs are aware of the pervasiveness of the practice, but it's still difficult to detect in many cases.

Remember the kid who dominated the Little League world series some years ago (Danny Almonte?), he was actually 14 years old, and the age limit is 12.  Nice.

Offline Why Not?

« Reply #10: April 18, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »
Some post-9/11 reforms have made it more difficult for players from the DR to fib about their age. It was pretty common practice around the time Tejada was signed.

What's amazing about Tejada is that his green card, drivers liscense, etc. all had his correct date of birth.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: April 18, 2008, 01:42:21 PM »
Some post-9/11 reforms have made it more difficult for players from the DR to fib about their age. It was pretty common practice around the time Tejada was signed.

What's amazing about Tejada is that his green card, drivers liscense, etc. all had his correct date of birth.

My guess is the clubs (Orioles, Astros) probably knew his real age, but due to the fragile ego involved, chose not to make a battle out of it.  To out it would have been a humiliation for Tejada, and he'd already been put in a stressful position starting with Palmeiro's oblique reference to Tejada as possibly the source of his tainted "B-12". 

But the clubs must have had to verify his immigration status and had that information to establish tax withholdings and other payroll related items.  So the data was right in front of them, though it's remotely possible some payroll clerk might not notice it.