Author Topic: Nick the Stick eyeing a Tuesday return.  (Read 2342 times)

Offline rileyn

Nick the Stick eyeing a Tuesday return.
« Topic Start: July 23, 2005, 09:33:44 AM »
According to the Washington Post.

So that begs the question, who sits??  I say put Wilkerson on the pine.  My lineup:

ss  Carroll
2b  Vidro (it pains me to write that, but it is what it is)
rf   Guillen (maybe NJ will provide some protection)
1b  Johnson
lf   Church
3b  Castilla
cf   Wilson
c    Schneider
p  

Unfortunately, I have a feeling Frank will sit Church and let Wilkie move to left.  Perhaps Bowden will move Wilkie prior to the deadline.  We will see.

Something else I have thought about is possibly batting Church at lead off.  Why not?  You could go Church, Vidro, Guillen, Johnson, Wilson, Castilla, Schneider, Carroll/Guzman.

Thoughts?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1: July 23, 2005, 10:15:08 AM »
I would rather have Church in a prominent power slot, say 4-5.  Carroll is doing a very credible job as leadoff guy, getting on base better than just about anybody in the lineup the last few games.  My preference:

Carroll
Vidro
Johnson
Guillen
Church
Wilson
Schneider
Castilla

Um....looks like a good time to rest Wilkie for a few games.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

« Reply #2: July 23, 2005, 11:40:39 AM »
I'll be glad to see Nick back.

Doesn't affect my opinion that he should be traded in the offseason because of his injury history, but Nats sure need him now.

Its like Bowden is all set up for a big trade - what with the cleared roster spots and all. Is Nick's return the catalyst (I don't think Nick is the guy to be traded as it would be pretty much impossible to upgrade as no elite 1B is rumored to be available)?

We gonna see Wilkie go?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #3: July 23, 2005, 12:20:44 PM »
Inside the "Assessing the NL playoff contenders' needs" article at Fox Sports, Dayn Perry says the Nats need Offense, offense and more offense. In his article he says that possible targets are shortstops Julio Lugo or Omar Vizquel. He also says potential pitching targets are Aaron Harang, Mike Maroth, Mark Redman...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3775482

luckyexposfan

« Reply #4: July 23, 2005, 12:24:17 PM »
At least Nick went on the DL for an injury received while actually playing, and not something retarded like a flag football injury or a broken hand from punching a wall :lol:

Montcobaseball

« Reply #5: July 23, 2005, 12:46:39 PM »
I know you must be kidding but who has been injured in a non game situation?  Church, Vidro, Eichen, Johnson, all the major injuries have been perfectly visible and understandable.

luckyexposfan

« Reply #6: July 23, 2005, 12:53:18 PM »
Nah I was talking about guys on other teams.  I forget who exactly, but I think one of the Astros just came off of a flag football injury, and I believe a Texas pitcher went on the DL a while back for breaking his hand or some fingers while angrily punching the (concrete) dugout wall.

« Reply #7: July 23, 2005, 12:56:45 PM »
Quote from: "Montcobaseball"
I know you must be kidding but who has been injured in a non game situation?  Church, Vidro, Eichen, Johnson, all the major injuries have been perfectly visible and understandable.

yeah.
I have no interest in debating Nick's recovery time or any aspect of the current injury.

I know what he can do for the Nats, so I welcome him back.

If I'm GM with a lot of new money added to the payroll, I might look to upgrade at 1B in the offseason, but that's another matter and based on the probability of Nick getting injured each year, not how well he plays when he's in there.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #8: July 23, 2005, 01:00:16 PM »
Quote from: "luckyexposfan"
At least Nick went on the DL for an injury received while actually playing, and not something retarded like a flag football injury or a broken hand from punching a wall :lol:

Or carrying meat into his apartment...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: July 23, 2005, 01:28:45 PM »
Kenny Rogers broke a bone in his hand after being taken out of the Nationals game a bit before he wanted to be.  Punched a water cooler.

« Reply #10: July 23, 2005, 01:30:58 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Quote from: "luckyexposfan"

Or carrying meat into his apartment...

LOL
Actually - and I don;t wish wish Barmes or any other player bad luck - I'm not entirely sorry that this dismal fielding SS hitting well in the Hitters' Heaven in the Rockies won't be ROY.

Nothing personal to Barmes, just don't think it would have been quite legit.