Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 157967 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #275: December 24, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »
It's really good as canned draughts go...even if it is from the home of Manchester United.  That might be my next stop in my tour de fridge.

That is my go to beer when I just want a well-crafted standard beer

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #276: December 24, 2008, 05:02:28 PM »
It's really good as canned draughts go...even if it is from the home of Manchester United.  That might be my next stop in my tour de fridge.

Also, it's made by InBev, and therefore it's Budwesier :rofl:

• babble on
« Reply #277: December 24, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »
By this time next year, all the beer in the fridge might be brewed by Gazprom-Walmart-InBev-Chase-Pfizer International...

Also, it's made by InBev, and therefore it's Budwesier :rofl:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #278: December 24, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »
Sharing some Three Philosophers from Brewery Ommegang with family. Life is good. Beer is good. ;)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #279: December 25, 2008, 12:37:16 PM »
I found Baltic Porter at my Safeway today, and it is also distributed through Wegman's

Gonna try this today

Offline PANatsFan

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #283: January 20, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »
I just had my first bottle of Moosehead Lager, a beer from Canada. Absolutely the most skunkiest beer I have ever had and strangely-- I enjoyed it.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #284: January 20, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »
I could tell the first time I met you at KimNat's event, you and skunk were best friends.

I just had my first bottle of Moosehead Lager, a beer from Canada. Absolutely the most skunkiest beer I have ever had and strangely-- I enjoyed it.

« Reply #285: January 20, 2009, 07:40:47 PM »
I could tell the first time I met you at KimNat's event, you and skunk were best friends.

I'm not usually into beer this "skunk." I guess it might be a dirty, little pleasure that we all secretly have. ;)

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #286: January 20, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »
I grew up in Connecticut and tried Canadian beers a fair amount in the late 70's.  Like Heineken or Molson, Moosehead seemed a fair lager.  But then the 80's came with Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, and others.  Plain lagers are so weak now.

I'm not usually into beer this "skunk." I guess it might be a dirty, little pleasure that we all secretly have. ;)

• babble on
« Reply #287: January 21, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »
I remember when one could buy Moosehead (brewed in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) in Seattle and Detroit, but not in Vancouver or Toronto because of the bizarre system of Provincial brewing monopolies and marketing restrictions.  That wasn't that long ago...probably early 1990s.     

Offline Dave B

« Reply #288: January 21, 2009, 06:10:05 PM »
I had some of that DFH 120 Minute IPA. Gross.  It tasted like crappy central New York ice wine (not like I'm a connosieur or anything, just scarred from college).  Smells hoppy but tastes sweet. Almost like sparkling cider.  Did I get a bad batch?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #289: January 21, 2009, 06:13:07 PM »
I had some of that DFH 120 Minute IPA. Gross.  It tasted like crappy central New York ice wine (not like I'm a connosieur or anything, just scarred from college).  Smells hoppy but tastes sweet. Almost like sparkling cider.  Did I get a bad batch?

I am just now acquiring a taste for IPA. It took me FOREVER (not counting Sierra Nevada, that stuff always was and always will be tasty). I'm finally starting to appreciate it. It's like the hops are punching you in the face.

Now if you can ever try a dry-hopped beer, that is really tasty stuff.

As for Dogfish, I never really liked them. Fat Tire neither.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #290: January 21, 2009, 06:47:57 PM »
I am just now acquiring a taste for IPA. It took me FOREVER (not counting Sierra Nevada, that stuff always was and always will be tasty). I'm finally starting to appreciate it. It's like the hops are punching you in the face.

Now if you can ever try a dry-hopped beer, that is really tasty stuff.

As for Dogfish, I never really liked them. Fat Tire neither.

I've had IPAs before, even the 60 and 90 minute ones. This tastes nothing like beer

« Reply #291: January 21, 2009, 07:09:47 PM »
Just had a tripel called Victory Golden Monkey. This came at a friend's recommendation who apparently drinks this stuff like it was apple juice. What he didn't tell me is that a six pack of this costs $12.

It has a fruity punch at the first sip and then mellows out into some weird exotic, fruity-sort of taste. Sort of sours towards the end. Kind of interesting, but I don't think I'd ever buy it again except if a group of friends really wanted it on a hot summer's day.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #292: January 21, 2009, 09:03:34 PM »
So where di you have it ?  At a Dogfish place, another restaurant, or from a bottle ?

I'm BIG on IPAs.  I thought the 120 minute on tap was citrus flavored and sweet - not like the 90 minute.  But being the heathen I am, I liked the 120 minute alot.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #293: January 21, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
So where di you have it ?  At a Dogfish place, another restaurant, or from a bottle ?

I'm BIG on IPAs.  I thought the 120 minute on tap was citrus flavored and sweet - not like the 90 minute.  But being the heathen I am, I liked the 120 minute alot.

a bottle. i didn't even finish it. took like 3 sips just to make sure i hated it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #294: January 22, 2009, 09:52:03 AM »
I liked the 120 just fine, but it does have a sweet finish to it.  Here's a tasting review that seems in sync with my observations, and I agree it's more of a "monster IPA".

Beer advocate consensus rating was a B+, with 1,006 reviews overall.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/9086

I had this on draft at the brew pub and got a four pack to take with me from the brewery. It's an overwhelming beer. It's a stretch to call it an IPA, this beer is more of maybe a monster IPA. The beer looks good, has a nice golden color. It smells good, but with more maltiness. The taste is very multidimensional. It's more like a port in terms of the sweetness, but the flavors are all over the place with a nice focus in the hops, with a slightly bitter finishing bite that regresses back to sweetness. The hops flavor doesn't stay long though because of the extreme alcohol. The flavor endures for a good 30 seconds after swallowing this beast with all sorts of sweet fruity goodness. I'm excited to try the beers I've been aging this summer to see what happens. A great beer for a special occasion.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #295: January 22, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »
I liked the 120 just fine, but it does have a sweet finish to it.  Here's a tasting review that seems in sync with my observations, and I agree it's more of a "monster IPA".

Beer advocate consensus rating was a B+, with 1,006 reviews overall.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/9086

I would also say it has a sweet beginning and middle
As I sit here drinking a Red Bull, I am reminded of the 120. But I like/tolerate red bull. Now I'm eager to try them side by side. I dont think there is much difference

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #296: January 23, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »
I'm with you on that one. I don't like sweet beers unless I'm expecting it (like a lambic).

« Reply #297: January 23, 2009, 09:48:14 PM »
I think this is the best beer to drink after your already drunk:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #298: January 23, 2009, 09:55:02 PM »
Just had a smutty nose ipa - damn fine beer

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #299: January 27, 2009, 06:44:16 AM »
This was in the Washington Post:

Health Benefit for Moderate Drinkers

You've heard about the health benefits of red wine, which is rich in antioxidants. Now there is even more good news for moderate drinkers: A recent study by researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles, found that healthy people age 50 and older who drink small-to-moderate amounts of alcohol appear less likely to suffer from age-related physical disabilities than people who don't drink.

The report, published in the most recent issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology, defines light-to-moderate drinking as less than 15 drinks per week with a daily maximum of five drinks for men and four for women. People over 50 who drink within these limits have about 25 percent lower chance of being unable to carry out daily activities such as walking, dressing, running errands or doing chores. The apparent health benefits of alcohol do not apply to binge drinkers or to people who are already in poor health.

--Lindsay Minnema, Health section