Author Topic: Crow has a good start; Scheppers struggles  (Read 1618 times)

Offline NatsDad14

Crow has a good start; Scheppers struggles
« Topic Start: May 12, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »
Aaron Crow had a pretty good start in second outing. Tanner Scheppers struggled but he wasn't wild with his command and showed mid 90's velocity. I hope he falls to us at #10.

Crow
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=838#more-838

Scheppers

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=835

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Crow has a good start; Scheppers struggles
« Reply #1: May 12, 2009, 09:12:36 PM »
I'll pass on Scheppers. We need someone more polished and close to the Majors. plenty of college pitchers fit that bill.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: May 12, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »
Why?  because he hasn't pitched regularly this year yet?  he was a dominant college pitcher.  he'd be a good pick.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #3: May 12, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »
Why?  because he hasn't pitched regularly this year yet?  he was a dominant college pitcher.  he'd be a good pick.
what was the extent of the injury that he had and why didn't he sign last year?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #4: May 12, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »
what was the extent of the injury that he had and why didn't he sign last year?

He had a shoulder injury (not sure of the severity). He was drafted in the 2nd round by the pirates. From what I understand, he didn't sign because he thought he could get drafted higher the next year if he proves he was healthy (smart decision). I heard a podcast that said Scheppers stuff is pretty close to Strasburg (not as good though).

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #5: May 12, 2009, 09:25:28 PM »
Scheppers had one good year in College, in 2008.

I think I want Mike Leake. :az:

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #6: May 12, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »
Scheppers had one good year in College, in 2008.

I think I want Mike Leake. :az:

I also like Mike Leake. His scouting reports indicate to me that he is the next John Lannan. Everybody hates on his stuff, but he has put great numbers.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #7: May 12, 2009, 09:34:37 PM »
I also like Mike Leake. His scouting reports indicate to me that he is the next John Lannan. Everybody hates on his stuff, but he has put great numbers.
yeah his numbers are fantastic. not just for 1 year either.

2009: 12-1, 1.47 ERA
2008: 11-3, 3.49 ERA
2007: 13-1, 3.60 ERA

He's not a big guy but he throws in the low 90s and has great command and poise on the mound.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: May 12, 2009, 09:40:10 PM »
plus he looks like a bro. with balester's chances of making the team on a consistent basis getting worse and worse, we need some brosephs on the team.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #9: May 12, 2009, 09:47:51 PM »
I'd be ok with that pick too.

Offline DPMOmaha

Also remember that Scheppers had never pitched before he got to Fresno.  So he should be coachable and there's probably a lot of room for improvement.  It's worth considering I think.  Leake is a good option though.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
Scheppers was thought to have a stress fracture in his shoulder. Medical reports in 2009 show no injury.

If my choice is between Leake and Scheppers, I'd take Scheppers every time. Leake is pretty much what he's going to be, a ceiling of #3/4 with a fastball in the 88-91 range. Scheppers works in the 92-95 range with an above average breaking pitch. He is working on a change. Scheppers ceiling is as a #2 SP

While I wouldn't draft a closer at #10, Scheppers could be that closer if the change does not fully develop. A guy who can touch 95 with a plus breaking pitch is closer material

Offline sportsfan882

too much risk with Scheppers. we need a safer pick

Offline DPMOmaha

What are you risking?  There's a risk in every pick. 

Offline PatsNats28

What are you risking?  There's a risk in every pick. 

you're risking his previous injury

Offline DPMOmaha

There's no such thing as a risk free pick.  By all reports, he's healthy again.  Take the better player.  If that's Scheppers take him.  If it's Lemke, take him.  By all reports, he's healthy again. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Don't care about Crow.

Offline sportsfan882

the prior injury from Scheppers is a concern. I wouldn't take him.

Offline ronnynat

The Latest On Crow & Scheppers

With their first few regular-season starts in the independent American Association, Aaron Crow and Tanner Scheppers have solidified their position in the upper half of the first round.

Crow hasn’t allowed a run in his first two starts for the Fort Worth Cats, striking out 13 in 11 innings and retiring 31 of the 38 batters he’s faced. His stuff has been nearly as good as it was when he starred at Missouri last spring—and good enough that he could go as high as No. 3 to the Padres or No. 4 to the Pirates. He’s believed to be seeking at least the $4 million his advisers, the Hendricks brothers, asked for at the Aug. 15 signing deadline last year.

"He looks just a tick behind 2008, almost like he’s in the middle of spring training," an American League front-office official said. "I’ve seen him flash 95 mph with his fastball, and I’ve seen him flash a hard, 87 mph slider. He’s just a little inconsistent, but he’s not far away. And physically, he looks better than ever."

Scheppers, a former Fresno State star, has had higher readings on the radar guns and less success on the mound as he has battled his mechanics and command. He has surrendered nine runs (five earned) in nine innings over his last two starts and sports an 0-1, 3.86 record and a 15-8 K-BB ratio in 14 innings overall.

Scouts are less concerned about his performance and more thrilled about his arm strength. His fastball has been clocked at 98 mph and his curveball has been devastating if inconsistent. The only thing that could keep him out of the first 10 picks would be concerns about his shoulder, though Angels medical director Dr. Lewis Yocum pronounced him healthy in a letter he sent to all 30 clubs in April.

"Stuff-wise, he should go No. 2 in the draft," a National League scouting director said. "Your individual team doctor would have to give him a complete evaluation, but he has the total package."

BA rated Crow and Scheppers as the top two righthanders in the 2008 draft, but neither wound up signing. Negotiations broke down between Crow and the Nationals, who selected him ninth overall. Scheppers hurt his shoulder in April and wasn’t fully recovered by the signing deadline, so the Pirates passed on his asking price after taking him with the No. 49 pick.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=922

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
:bang: ENOUGH ABOUT AARON freakING CROW