Author Topic: Are the Cardinals and Nats equal teams?  (Read 4424 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Are the Cardinals and Nats equal teams?
« Reply #25: October 09, 2012, 02:41:21 PM »
Jackson and Detwiler are nails at home and the Nats annihilated the Cardinals when they were last here  - outscored them 31-13 in 4 games

It's not like there isn't any recent history of success against them

Was a different team. The pitching was still fantastic and the offense was actually on the up. I remain skeptical. Nats need to show something. Especially the pitching.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #26: October 09, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »
Was a different team. The pitching was still fantastic and the offense was actually on the up. I remain skeptical. Nats need to show something. Especially the pitching.

It's the exact same team only healthier

All the Nats have to do is play to their capabilities - it's not like they have to reach to win

Offline PC

« Reply #27: October 09, 2012, 02:46:15 PM »
Yes, but our pitching is also wretched against the Cards. Jackson got destroyed and Detwiler is a lefty going against a lefty feasting team.

Not saying the game can't be won, but let's not get over-confident

And where was that Jackson game played?  And the Cardinals don't feast on anybody on the road, lefties or righties.  Add to it, they'll be on the road, in the Nationals Park brutal daylight sun.

Online Slateman

« Reply #28: October 09, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »
It's the exact same team only healthier

All they have to do is play to their capabilities - it's not like they have to reach to win

Except it really isn't. They're not pitching at all like they were in August.

Online Slateman

« Reply #29: October 09, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
And where was that Jackson game played?  And the Cardinals don't feast on anybody on the road, lefties or righties.  Add to it, they'll be on the road, in the Nationals Park brutal daylight sun.

We aren't exactly lighting the world on fire during day games. Neither is Jackson.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #30: October 09, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »
Except it really isn't. They're not pitching at all like they were in August.

Yah it really is - It's the EXACT same team - only healthier because now they have Storen fully back.

Gio and Jordan had a rough couple of outings, but there were both really good in September, especially Gio. And both Jackson and Detwiler were excellent at home in September.

Cardinals are really good at home and really, really bad on the road -and that's not a 2 game sample, that's 162 game sample.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #31: October 09, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »
We aren't exactly lighting the world on fire during day games. Neither is Jackson.

'In front of every silver lining there's a dark cloud'

- Morticia Addams (played by Carolyn Jones) in The Addams Family telly series, 1964-66

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #32: October 09, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »
He's sprained his Natitude. Somebody pass him some prozac and a 8 ball.

It's fine - people have a right to feel anyway they want about the team.

I just object to the idea that they are somehow "different" than they were a month ago - as if they're somehow less talented or less capable. They're not - they're the exact same team they were in August, only healthier - which is a good thing

Online Slateman

« Reply #33: October 09, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »
It's fine - people have a right to feel anyway they want about the team.

I just object to the idea that they are somehow "different" than they were a month ago - as if they're somehow less talented or less capable. They're not - they're the exact same team they were in August, only healthier - which is a good thing

Simple: We were on a hot streak at the end of August. Now, we're not. Our pitching dominated them for the first two games of that series and we were putting up double digit runs.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #34: October 09, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »
:lol: Good luck explaining that one to the butthurt.

LOL it's fine - people get to be skeptical if they want

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #35: October 09, 2012, 03:06:08 PM »
Simple: We were on a hot streak at the end of August. Now, we're not. Our pitching dominated them for the first two games of that series and we were putting up double digit runs.

It's the exact same team. Whether you want to believe it or not. It's the exact same team.  Will it matter, who knows, that's why they play the games. 

Every team goes through ups and downs in the season.

But the team that was winning games in August is the exact same team that was winning them in September, only healthier.

Besides, the Nats have already won a game against the Cardinals, in St. Louis, in this series  - it's not like it can't be done

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #36: October 09, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »
:lmao:

Offline CurlyW4lyfe

« Reply #37: October 09, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »
I gotta say, I am not happy that a bunch of bandwagoner Cards fans are bragging about how the Nats are going to get "stomped" at home. :smh:

But I know talent when I see it and I've seen too many great games from the Nats to give up on em' now.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #38: October 09, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »
What makes you think they are bandwagon fans? The Cardinals have a strong fanbase and they are nationwide.

Offline CurlyW4lyfe

« Reply #39: October 09, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »
What makes you think they are bandwagon fans? The Cardinals have a strong fanbase and they are nationwide.

Because they were Braves fans up until very, very recently?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #40: October 09, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »
Because they were Braves fans up until very, very recently?

Are you talking about someone you know?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #41: October 09, 2012, 03:17:20 PM »

They are arguably among MLB's best fans, in terms of knowledgeability and of sticking with the team (for the most part) when less-than-successful times come, as well as in winning seasons.

That having been said though, I'm really hoping we don't get a large opposition turn-out tomorrow (which seems possible with so many here unable to go because of the timing) - I remember them turning out big-time back in the RFK days.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #42: October 09, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
They are arguably among MLB's best fans, in terms of knowledgeability and of sticking with the team (for the most part) when less-than-successful times come.

That having been said though, I'm hoping we don't get a large opposition turn-out tomorrow (which seems possible with so many here unable to go because of the timing) - I remember them turning out big-time back in the RFK days.

They should turn up but I doubt it will be a significant number. You have to hand it to the birds fans for showing up strong for their playoff games. I hope we have a comparable showing from our fanbase.

Offline CurlyW4lyfe

« Reply #43: October 09, 2012, 03:20:02 PM »

Are you talking about someone you know?

Coworkers.  :spaz:

It's all empty talk until tomorrow afternoon anyways.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #44: October 09, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
Coworkers.  :spaz:

It's all empty talk until tomorrow afternoon anyways.

I see. You said a bunch. Are there that many of them in your workplace? Also, they sound like (MDS) haters who like to root against the local team (assuming you're in the DC area).

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #45: October 09, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »
Yes, but our pitching is also wretched against the Cards. Jackson got destroyed and Detwiler is a lefty going against a lefty feasting team.

Easy solution is to start Strasburg or Maya.  Someone of that caliber.

Online Slateman

« Reply #46: October 09, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »
Easy solution is to start Strasburg or Maya.  Someone of that caliber.

We laugh now ....

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #47: October 09, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
I see. You said a bunch. Are there that many of them in your workplace? Also, they sound like (MDS) haters who like to root against the local team (assuming you're in the DC area).

:nono:

Just because I loathe the Foreskinz, the Wiztards, and the Crapitals doesn't make me a bad DC sports fan...

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #48: October 09, 2012, 03:35:50 PM »
If only there were a playoff series to determine this question!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #49: October 09, 2012, 03:43:55 PM »
Agreed about Chicago, but what of St Louis?

Or "knowledgeability" is simply code for an arrogant,  media whore fan base with delusions of superiority driven largely by a lack of viable entertainment options for the denizens of a semi-urban wasteland in the middle of nowhere.  Sure the franchise has some history but most of the Budweiser soaked imbeciles don't know about it anyway.