Author Topic: 13 Worst Free Agent Signings Ever  (Read 1820 times)

Offline ronnynat

13 Worst Free Agent Signings Ever
« Topic Start: April 18, 2008, 06:19:10 AM »
This is from SI.com:

1. Hampton, $121 million, Rockies (and Braves). The deals for him and Denny Neagle ($55 million, five years) set the Rockies back five years. On the other hand, the complicated trade to send him away and get the Rockies on the path to the World Series was a stroke of genius. The Braves, who got him from the Marlins in November 2002, two days after Colorado dumped him, are known for wise pitching decisions, but this has to be their worst.

2. Carl Pavano, $40 million, four (long) years, Yankees. Never really looked interested. Changed agents more times than he actually pitched.

3. Albert Belle, $65 million, five years, Orioles. Brought surly mood, diminished power and bad hip to Peter Angelos' brand of bad baseball.

4. Chan Ho Park, $65 million, five years, Rangers. Poor Tom Hicks. Or should I say, rich Tom Hicks. Park showed up without much zip on his pitches, then delivered almost zip for the money.

5. Jason Giambi, $120 million, seven years, Yankees. He apologized for who knows what but hasn't yet apologized for taking all this money, which is, of course, obscene. He's still got $26 million to go in this the final year alone, assuming the Yankees decline the option year for a measly $5 mil.

6. Kevin Brown, $105 million, Dodgers (and Yankees). The first $100-million free agent. There were whispers that no one was offering anywhere near nine figures, but the truth is that while L.A. was the high bidder, there were other fools out there, as well. He brought his surly demeanor to the Bronx for two years, and left without a word, never to be heard from again. That is, until the Mitchell Report was released.

7. Darren Dreifort, $55 million, five years, Dodgers. Dreifort had the talent but was always hurt. And that's always, meaning before and after the contract.

8. Bobby Higginson, $35 million, five years, Tigers. With his buddy Kirk Gibson, then in the Tigers TV booth, constantly saying how great Higginson was, and with a terrible Tigers team where Higginson was the "star,'' owner Mike Ilitch felt compelled to give silly money to Higginson. Immediately upon signing, his bat turned to a wet noodle. Ilitch has done a lot better lately, with worthwhile big-bucks deals for Pudge Rodriguez and Magglio Ordonez.

9. Barry Zito, $126 million, seven years, Giants. Hard as it is to believe now, at least one other team (the Mariners) was willing to hit nine figures. Zito has lost 4-5 mph, leaving too little discrepancy between the fastball and his signature breaking ball. He's still got almost six years to go, so there's time to turn it around, but he turns 30 next month.

10. Mo Vaughn, $80 million, six years, Angels (and Mets). Got heavy, hurt his knees and became such a non-entity that no one cared when he showed up in the Mitchell Report.

11. Julio Lugo, $36 million, four years, Red Sox. They won a title in his first year at shortstop. But otherwise, file this under the heading, "Smart people can do dumb things.'' Boston looked into A-Rod for shortstop this winter.

12. Russ Ortiz, $33 million, four years, Diamondbacks. This contract bombed so badly, and so fast, that the D-Backs wound up eating a majority of it. Ortiz tried a comeback with the Giants last year and looked a little better with his old team ... at least for a while.

13. Juan Pierre, $44 million, five years, Dodgers. He's riding the bench only one year into his term. Great guy. But the lesson here is, never pay big bucks for a singles hitter with a nice personality.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/04/16/heyman.contracts/index.html

Offline ronnynat

Re: 13 Worst Free Agent Signings Ever
« Reply #1: April 18, 2008, 06:20:16 AM »
That Hampton signing was SO terrible. I wonder if that was Kasten's doing?

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: April 18, 2008, 06:39:02 AM »
That Hampton signing was SO terrible. I wonder if that was Kasten's doing?

Colorado paid $49M for two really bad years.
Florida has paid $23.5M on the contract and he spent on TWO days in their organization.
The Braves are on the hook for remaining $48.5M

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: April 18, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »
I had to laugh at Juan Pierre...  I seem to remember a particular poster on this board being a huge proponent of his once upon a time ;)

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: April 18, 2008, 08:55:35 AM »
Ichiro is getting $90M for 5 years. Say what you want but that's a lot of cake for a ping hitter.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: April 18, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »
I had to laugh at Juan Pierre...  I seem to remember a particular poster on this board being a huge proponent of his once upon a time ;)

LOL, not me!!  nats4ever is, but he's never posted here, mostly on the MLB board.  I don't remember who, Minty maybe?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #6: April 18, 2008, 02:21:31 PM »
Pierre really should be starting somewhere. The fact that he's a career .301 hitter and he's averaged about 60 SB over the last 7 seasons has earned him that much. That is a pretty terrible move the Dodgers made, though, w/ the guys they already had in that system. The Jones pick-up didn't help much, either. I did hear recently that they are trying to get Ethier used to first base so they can shift people around a little easier.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #7: April 18, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »
Colorado paid $49M for two really bad years.
Florida has paid $23.5M on the contract and he spent on TWO days in their organization.
The Braves are on the hook for remaining $48.5M

Selig altered the original deal saying it was too back-loaded for the Braves, and the Marlins had to eat an additional $6 or $8 million on the back end of the contract.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #8: April 18, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Selig altered the original deal saying it was too back-loaded for the Braves, and the Marlins had to eat an additional $6 or $8 million on the back end of the contract.

I actually started to feel bad for Hampton a few years back. :?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #9: April 18, 2008, 05:52:27 PM »
I actually started to feel bad for Hampton a few years back. :?

I love how he was going to block the trade because he would rather be on a contender than the Marlins, and 10 months later the Marlins won the WS.

Offline daveb32

« Reply #10: April 18, 2008, 06:06:30 PM »
Russ Ortiz used to be THE Expos killer. Playing the 2003 Braves 18 times was the worst.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: April 19, 2008, 10:46:40 AM »
I love how he was going to block the trade because he would rather be on a contender than the Marlins, and 10 months later the Marlins won the WS.

That kind of attitude pisses me off.  It's like you're ready to start a pickup basketball game, and the best players decide to join together to make sure they win, instead of dividing the teams up relatively equitably.  Even though I have some limited sympathy for Mussina leaving the Orioles (getting d*cked around by Angelos is enough to make anybody want out) I'm really happy that he has never gotten that ring he thought was a lock when he went there.  Screw him.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #12: April 21, 2008, 09:32:43 AM »
I'd like to add Jaime Navarro's 4 year, 20 million dollar deal with the White Sox to the list.  While not as big money as the ones listed here, dollar for dollar, it compares.  The fat tub of goo went 25-43 with an ERA of over 6 for the three years he was with the White Sox.