Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Has Been Shut Down  (Read 9592 times)

Offline BigMeech

Re: Stephen Strasburg Has Been Shut Down
« Reply #25: September 08, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
I hope this leads to people writing off the Nationals in the postseason. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #26: September 08, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
i agree with the decision but it sucks that he couldn't get to 200 k's

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: September 08, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
Lannan is a basket case. He's the least emotionally stable player on the roster.

as long as we don't play Philly in the playoffs Lannan will be fine.

Congrats on a fantastic season Strasburg, can't wait to see him get his first NL Cy Young next year.

Offline PC

« Reply #28: September 08, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
Lannan is fine as long as no one commits errors behind him.  That's when he loses it.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #29: September 08, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
Davey really does a great job of making Strasburg look like a wussy at times (which I don't think he is).

Icy Hot
Not mentally with it
Too hot/too cold

Come on man... I'm all for trying to be honest... but learn to lie every once in a while... or just simply say he didn't have it.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #30: September 08, 2012, 12:25:33 PM »
Davey really does a great job of making Strasburg look like a wussy at times.

Icy Hot
Not mentally with it
Too hot/too cold

Come on man... I'm all for trying to be honest... but learn to lie every once in a while... or just simply say he didn't have it.

Every bad Strasburg outing has an excuse. If he was pitched in the playoffs, they would blame his failures on going past his innings limit. It's funny how no one made an excuse when JZ had his last bad outing. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #31: September 08, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
Rizzo on 7/18 "Davey won't decide, and ownership won't decide. It will be the general manager, and that's me."

Davey on 9/8 "I made this call. My job is to do what I think’s best for the player, and this is what’s best."

Offline skills

« Reply #32: September 08, 2012, 12:45:37 PM »
Rizzo on 7/18 "Davey won't decide, and ownership won't decide. It will be the general manager, and that's me."

Davey on 9/8 "I made this call. My job is to do what I think’s best for the player, and this is what’s best."

I don't see a contradiction. Rizzo made the call to shut him down. Davey made the call not to pitch him on Wednesday. Those are two different decisions.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #33: September 08, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »
Lannan is a basket case. He's the least emotionally stable player on the roster.

What? Thats definitely not true

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #34: September 08, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
I think it's the right move after last night (if it's gotta be done).    Stras had a great year and we all look forward to his return next year.   I hope they give him a 2012 WS share.   :)

Me, too...although we are going to the Mets game that was to be his last start.

It's time.

Incidentally, we saw Lannan start against the Braves the evening after the 9 - 0 shocker, and a few hours after Braves had won the second game of that series. Gave up 2 runs in the first, put men on base in the second, and then got better with each inning. If ever there was pressure, that was it.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #35: September 08, 2012, 12:52:45 PM »
What? Thats definitely not true

I mean we just saw Strasburg meltdown last night because things didn't go his way. Didn't Davey say that Strasburg was having trouble sleeping because of the decision? Maybe its best he is shutdown and let him channel that aggression into next season with no restraint.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #36: September 08, 2012, 12:53:20 PM »
Its been a fun season Strasburg. I'm looking forward to seeing you next year!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #37: September 08, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
Rumor is the team will decline a spot in the playoffs.... Obviously can't compete with such a craptastic manager, GM, and without Strasburg

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #38: September 08, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »
as long as we don't play Philly in the playoffs Lannan will be fine.
:spit: :lmao:

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #39: September 08, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »
Strasburg should be pissed that the Nats basically implied he is a mental loose cannon who can't handle pressure and was shutdown because he was mentally weak. They have done a good job making him out to be a baby who needs to be coddled. Maybe they weren't protecting his arm with the shutdown, but protecting his fragile psyche.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #40: September 08, 2012, 04:44:44 PM »
Strasburg should be pissed that the Nats basically implied he is a mental loose cannon who can't handle pressure and was shutdown because he was mentally weak. They have done a good job making him out to be a baby who needs to be coddled. Maybe they weren't protecting his arm with the shutdown, but protecting his fragile psyche.

You're such a douche... I can only imagine the amount of pressure the kid is under. Not knowing when or if for certain he was gonna be shut down, and considering it was one of if not the biggest stories in sports, that's a lot for one kid to handle. We're not talking about a veteran player either. The decision was the right one at the right time. Get over yourself.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #41: September 08, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »
You're such a douche... I can only imagine the amount of pressure the kid is under. Not knowing when or if for certain he was gonna be shut down, and considering it was one of if not the biggest stories in sports, that's a lot for one kid to handle. We're not talking about a veteran player either. The decision was the right one at the right time. Get over yourself.

You have to admit... Davey makes him sounds like a mental midget if listening to the radio makes him lose sleep.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #42: September 08, 2012, 05:20:38 PM »
You have to admit... he sounds like a mental midget if listening to the radio makes him lose sleep.

Yeah, because we've all been in the situation he's been in before too. You know,being under a media microscope and all... Not everyone is cut from the same cloth. Some people do tend to wear their emotions on their sleeves. Others not so much.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #43: September 08, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »
He sucked. He sucked because he's spent. Good call.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #44: September 08, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
I would take Lannan over Strasburg in the playoffs. He won't breakdown mentally in a big spot. I don't even care about the shutdown nonsense anymore.

No he'll just give up and not try in AAA.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #45: September 08, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »
He sucked. He sucked because he's spent. Good call.

He probably should have said that, rather than he is tired from the media.

Or that he had icy hot on his balls. Or that it was too hot/too cold.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #46: September 08, 2012, 05:34:10 PM »
Zuckerman was on ESPN News (the fill in on MASN during the rain delay) and pretty much said that it was not just Strasburg but the entire team that found the Strasburg speculation a huge distraction.  He made it sound like they were ticked at the attention the shutdown and how many innings left was getting. Frankly, Zuck was making them all sound like they had a lack of focus.

It's hard to remember that, other than Werth and Jackson, the rest pretty much are involved in their first pennant race. They did seem a bit psyched out when they played the NYY.  I can believe Zuck, although I'm not happy with what it says about the team.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #47: September 08, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
He probably should have said that, rather than he is tired from the media.

Or that he had icy hot on his balls. Or that it was too hot/too cold.

Is it that hard to believe that his elbow is done with a reasonable amount of innings on it?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #48: September 08, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »
I know that this has been brought up before, but is there some reason we can't put him in the bullpen?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #49: September 08, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »
PA, that's a perfectly acceptable reason. The media stressed him out, is not.