Author Topic: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?  (Read 30564 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?
« Reply #75: June 04, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Why I'm a bit skeptical of it being his shoulder is that he came right back after sitting a game in Philly and continued to hit v. ATL at ATL.  He went 6 for 21 with 3 doubles over 5 games after sitting on 5/22.  Maybe i have the date of when he sat mixed up.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #76: June 04, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
He should have more than two home-runs. If his shoulder hurts, I'm sure Davey knows. Players will play when hurt...just consider LaRoche last season.  Ramos and Werth are out for a long time, so is Tracy, and the team put Morse in the lineup even though Morse has not hit major-league pitching since last September.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #77: June 04, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »
Why I'm a bit skeptical of it being his shoulder is that he came right back after sitting a game in Philly and continued to hit v. ATL at ATL.  He went 6 for 21 with 3 doubles over 5 games after sitting on 5/22.  Maybe i have the date of when he sat mixed up.

It's a board meme that when a player struggles he must be injured.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78: June 04, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
Sort of a meme, but with RZ and his specific injury, I can see it.  That's why I'm a bit skeptical and not skeptical.  I was thinking injury, but I don't quite see the latest bout of "my shoulder is hurting again" and the down turn in production when he tried to play through it.

Maybe when we go to an AL park he should DH a few games to keep the bat in the line up but to not risk having him reinjure himself on a dive or a charge and throw?  Tough to do to a golden glover, but I'm wondering if the plays he's making are having a toll on his shoulder recovery.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #79: June 04, 2012, 05:03:10 PM »
  I was thinking injury, but I don't quite see the latest bout of "my shoulder is hurting again" and the down turn in production when he tried to play through it.

He's not claiming injury as an excuse. Fans are doing it on his behalf.

Maybe when we go to an AL park he should DH a few games to keep the bat in the line up but to not risk having him reinjure himself on a dive or a charge and throw?  Tough to do to a golden glover, but I'm wondering if the plays he's making are having a toll on his shoulder recovery.

The way he's been "hitting" we should use a DH for Zimmerman and keep his glove in the field.  :?

Maybe when we go to an AL park YOU GUYS COME TO MY HOUSE

FFA

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #80: June 04, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »
It's a board meme that when a player struggles he must be injured.

It seems that's often the case. 2011 LaRoche is a recent obvious example.  Was Lidge also experiencing his issue prior to when he was DL'd?    :shrug:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #81: June 04, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
Marquis in 2010, lannan 2010- these things usually have some basis in reality.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #82: June 04, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »
It seems that's often the case. 2011 LaRoche is a recent obvious example.  Was Lidge also experiencing his issue prior to when he was DL'd?    :shrug:

Church after bumping into the wall, derailed his career.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #83: June 04, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
Church after bumping into the wall, derailed his career.

Before wall - monster RBI guy.  After wall?  Meh.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #84: June 04, 2012, 06:50:46 PM »
Jesus Flores prior to injur - .300+ hitter

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #85: June 04, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »
Are you talking about over the past several seasons?  because Zim is certainly not 2nd in the MLB in GIDP, or even close to it really.  In 2011 he was tied for #41 and 2010 he was tied for #55 in the entire MLB for GIDP.

Chicken littles all up in this fan base.  Zim is as talented as they come.  He'll put every ounce of effort he has into breaking out of this slump.  If this is an injury thing, that could be another story though.

Slumps happen.  Deal with it.

Last year he barely played, that stat is flawed - he needs to hit more line drives.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #86: June 04, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »
didn't he have a really good series against Atlanta recently?  Let's not push him out the door yet.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #87: June 04, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #88: June 04, 2012, 10:46:15 PM »
didn't he have a really good series against Atlanta recently?  Let's not push him out the door yet.

Stop hitting grounders is good advice for him. Elevate the ball. I didn't say dump his ass in the Anacostia.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #89: June 04, 2012, 11:53:54 PM »
Boswell on Zman:

Sorry, gotta disagree, though right now he does stink. It's not your job to be patient. That's such an irritating virtue. It's a fan's job to get emotional! But I'm supposed to do the "research." So here it is.

Zimmerman is a streak hitter. Period. Always has been. EVERY YEAR he has a 35-to-50 game hot streak which defines his season and at all other times he just battles the best he can. That's why he's a very good hitter (career .286 and .825 OPS) but nowhere close to a great hitter.

in '07 Z'man got hot, starting on July 4, for 49 games and hit .323 with a .965 OPS.

In '08 he hads two hot streaks, one of 22 games and the other of 26. Combined, he hit .347 w .973 OPS. One started in May, the other in August.

In '09, over 37 games starting in April, he had a 30-game hitting streak and for the whole period hit .372 w 1.079 OPS.

In '10, starting July 4 (again), he went 35 games hitting .348 w 1.098 OPS.

And in '11, yes, last year, he got hot on July 3 __hey, one day BEFORE July 4th__ and over 40 games hit .373 w .998. Repeat, that's .373 over 40 games AFTER he came back from injury.

It's conceivable that Z'man will never get hot again __well, it's conceivable in some other universe. In this one, he'll have a scalding 6 or 7 weeks in '12 when he carries the team.  That's just who he is as a hitter.

A different issue is: when does he move to 1st base to try to have less injuries that he must recover from. Hope it's not as early as '14 after option year on LaRoche is past.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #90: June 05, 2012, 12:06:39 AM »
I've said it for a couple years... I'd like to move him to 1B if it is conceivable he would be willing to move. Seems like it would be less wear and tear defensively and would extend his bat.

It would be lovely if Rendon could get healthy but I think the Nats will lose out on a good bet to take.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #91: June 05, 2012, 12:20:52 AM »
Boswell on Zman:
So bat Zim-with-1-N 6th until July 3rd.  On July 3rd, bat him 3rd, and continue that for the next 40 games.  Then move him back to batting 6th.  We don't need to keep losing games due to Zim-with-1-N's numerous groundouts into double plays outside of his 40-game hot streaks. 

The Lerners apparently have to approve this, since nobody else has the guts to make this change, (or to stop the rigged President mascot race requirement that Teddy Roosevelt always loses... racist a$$holes.)
 :rant: :whip: :smh:
With this strategy, the Nationals will be in the World Series in 2012.  But only if the coaching staff stops GIVING AWAY GAMES WITH ASININE, IDIOTIC, PIN-HEADED base running decisions.  Stop trying to make catchers and slow players try to steal 2b, and tell Miami Bryce that he's not as good as he thinks he is on the base paths.
 :run:  :punch:

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #92: June 05, 2012, 12:49:01 AM »
I'm back, nages.

Anyway, looking through Zimmerman's career stats recently I'm starting to realize that maybe we overrate him as a ballplayer. Don't get me wrong, he is very talented but not as good as we like to think.

I know you're probably thinking I'm just basing this off of his recent play, but I assure you I'm not.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #93: June 05, 2012, 08:37:19 AM »
I've said it for a couple years... I'd like to move him to 1B if it is conceivable he would be willing to move. Seems like it would be less wear and tear defensively and would extend his bat.

It would be lovely if Rendon could get healthy but I think the Nats will lose out on a good bet to take.

No.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline madj55

« Reply #95: June 05, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »
I wouldn't be against a position change for Zim, if it gives him his power bat back just sitting over there at first as opposed to laying out all over the place at third I'm cool with it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96: June 05, 2012, 09:00:01 AM »
Spidey - Actually, davey sat him one game in the Phillies series or davey forced him out of a game due to a shoulder soreness. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/ryan-zimmerman-to-play-tomorrow-after-getting-scratched-with-shoulder-soreness/2012/05/22/gIQAc8gPjU_blog.html

Zimmerman had been feeling soreness in his sore right shoulder, an injury to which landed him on the disabled list for 13 games. Zimmerman took batting practice and performed his usual pregame routine, but after batting practice Johnson informed Zimmerman that Chad Tracy would play in his place.

“It happened at the last second, so it made it seem worse than it is,” Zimmerman said. “It’s just like when you come back from anything. I think it’s just playing every day. It’s not even the same region as the other one. It’s just general soreness.”

That's what I meant by his latest bout of "my shoulder is hurting."  After that rest, he had a 2 double game the next day, and had a 5 game hit streak.  It does not prove his latest bad 4 game stretch is linked to an injury.

I could easily see Lombo at 3d one day a week to give RZ rest once we get the full complement of regulars back.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #97: June 05, 2012, 09:05:34 AM »
Spidey - Actually, davey sat him one game in the Phillies series or davey forced him out of a game due to a shoulder soreness. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/ryan-zimmerman-to-play-tomorrow-after-getting-scratched-with-shoulder-soreness/2012/05/22/gIQAc8gPjU_blog.html
That's what I meant by his latest bout of "my shoulder is hurting."  After that rest, he had a 2 double game the next day, and had a 5 game hit streak.

I think he ought to sit a game a week or so, it can't hurt the team very much the way things are going and might help him get back on track.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: June 05, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
Tom - while I worked on that last line in an edit, you posted what I was thinking.  We've got a Tony Phillips / Ben Zobrist we want to get in the line up nearly full time in Lombo.  A game or two at 3d would be part of the way to do it.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #99: June 05, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »
I don't know if he's in a slump or still not feeling 100% healthy.  I do know that some of his plays at 3rd base have been outstanding.