Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 89170 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

The Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
If UZR has that many issue UZR is garbage.  There, I said it.

It is garbage.  But it's the only garbage we have, so it's better than nothing.  You don't even have garbage - you have to be jealous of mine.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
The Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

Man I miss Nook.  :P

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
It is garbage.  But it's the only garbage we have, so it's better than nothing.  You don't even have garbage - you have to be jealous of mine.

You'd be better off going with the eye test.

Offline hammondsnats

catcher
starting pitcher
outfielder

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
 Don't see it -don't see it ! You wanna trade -first place in the Division is not good enough for you!  We have enough players waiting in the minors to move up - we don't need no trade - just find a way to lose Werth !   :cheers:

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
You'd be better off going with the eye test.

Why not do both?  Besides, I don't watch every play of every game of every team - I have no idea what Bourjos or Maybin look like playing CF, so I look at UZR and factor in the fact that it can over-or-under- measure certain things, so I don't take it too literally.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
ZACK freakING GREINKE!!!!!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
INSANE freakING BOOST!!!!!!!!

Offline HalfSmokes

If UZR has that many issue UZR is garbage.  There, I said it.

Just remember

Things to Remember:

● Beware of sample sizes! If a player only spent 50 innings at a position last season, it’d be a good idea not to draw too many conclusions from their UZR score over that time. Like with any defensive statistic, you should always use three years of UZR data before trying to draw any conclusions on the true talent level of a fielder.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/defense/uzr/

Since the average career length is just shy of 6 years (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/sports/baseball/15careers.html) you should know if someone has a decent glove about halfway through- so good stat to argue player x belongs in the hall, worthless to look at current players

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Are we in the mix for Dempster now?

I've seen a few tweets this morning where Cubs and Dodgers can't agree on prospects and that could open the door for a team like the Nats, and that other teams are starting to aggressively pursue him.

Offline hammondsnats

dempster is really, really good.  he doesn't get the credit he deserves b/c he doesn't throw in the high (or even mid) 90s. 

he'd be a rental (with possible option to give long-term deal), so i wonder what the cost would be.

Offline Hogie

Eh, I think the hype around Dempster means there's way too much interest and it will cost too much for a 35-year-old rental.

Offline hammondsnats

here's a list of potential SP available ... who do you want ladies?

Hamels
Greinke
Liriano
Shields
Garza
Dempster
Vargas
Wandy
Volquez
Richard
Marcum
McCarthy

• pissy DC sports fan
Shields because I feel like Andrew Friedman doesn't make insane demands.

Offline houston-nat

Jarrod Washburn or bust.

Offline hammondsnats

I'd take Shields in a heartbeat.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
King Felix or go home

Offline hammondsnats

King Felix or go home

he's not available

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

I'd take Shields in a heartbeat.

My name is Lintyfresh85 and I approve these messages.

Offline NJ Ave

Hamels and Greinke cost too much for rentals. Garza isn't worth what you have to give up IMO.

I'd give up quite a bit for Shields as a replacement for Jackson (offer Jackson the top-125 salary to get the draft pick and let him get his $50 elsewhere). Shields has team options of 2/$21 for the next two years, which is worth quite a bit, and I think playing outside of the AL East might mitigate his home run tendencies.

Dempster would be a good rental, but I feel like some team is going to be stupid enough to ignore that you no longer receive draft pick compensation for him and will pay more than we should. If they get the equivalent of Alex Meyer for him, would you really give that up for 2.5 months of Dempster? If the price was Destin Hood or Robbie Ray or something like that, I'd consider it. Same for Liriano, Marcum, and McCarthy.

Offline hammondsnats

My name is Lintyfresh85 and I approve these messages.

haha i gave you a shout out the other day:

linty ... apparently, the rays may make james shields available.  yes please.

and while we're having some fun, who would you guys rather have (bj) upton/shields or span/liriano?

Offline HalfSmokes

Shields or Wandy- I don't want to trade what's left of the farm for Greinke or Hamels

Offline NJ Ave

Shields would cost quite a bit. If you think that Meyer and Goodwin are somewhere in the 50-100 range and can be valued at $10-15 million apiece, it could easily cost one or the other to give Shields considering you get Shields locked in at $21 over the next two seasons.

So would you give up Meyer or Goodwin to get Shields?

You can probably get Wandy for Hood, maybe? I don't know. He is $5 million more expensive than Shields over the next two seasons and not nearly as good, considering one plays in the AL East and the other in the NL Central.

• pissy DC sports fan
Not Goodwin but maybe Meyer