Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 89310 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Not really.  They were pretty close, and I think overall Upton was better. Morse's BA and SLG was a touch higher, Upton's OBP was better.  Upton crushed Morse in WAR because of the massive defensive disparity.  Upton is a plus RF, Morse was an average-at-best 1b.  Good enough for a two-win difference.

I said offensively. Morse had a marginally higher OPS/OPS+

And really, to quote MDS, "who gives a rat's ass."  Morse is 30.  Upton is 24.  Who do you think will be better for the next 5-7 years?

Well, I care. Not because I wouldn't swap Morse for Upton (duh), but because I want to gauge how much I'd be willing to pay for him on top of Morse. His added offense this year could be less than keeping Morse. I would probably do JimBo's trade (and I think RZO would do it in a second), I probably wouldn't do the one you listed above (adding Desmond).

Morse doesn't make a lot of sense as a centerpiece, though.

Offline Hogie

Upton's last 3 years: .288/.364/.503 and 28 HRs per 162

Ages 21-23

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
With LaRoche, Moore, Morse and a returning Marrero at 1st.. I think moving LaRoche makes sense. I have no idea what for.. (obviously more than a Hairston or Marquis got us last year..) but he could be let go. If we could somehow land someone like Span, that'd be ideal.

Offline PC

A guy that was quoted as saying Strasburg isn't an ace heard from his third party sources that Upton is a malcontent. He had no proof, though.

Yeah, what an idiot, though I do recall him posting that Ian Desmond would get better this year and Danny Espinosa wouldn't...so he's not all bad.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
With LaRoche, Moore, Morse and a returning Marrero at 1st.. I think moving LaRoche makes sense. I have no idea what for.. (obviously more than a Hairston or Marquis got us last year..) but he could be let go. If we could somehow land someone like Span, that'd be ideal.

I actually don't get this idea at all - I'm on record as not loving LaRoche and thinking 1b is the key problem of the offseason, but right now, midseason, he's the only lefty pop in the entire lineup over the age of 20.  I don't think you want to be going into the playoffs with Harper as the only lefty power bat.

Morse is a much better trade chip - as young or younger, under team control, replaceable from the Nats perspective, not as good defensively at 1b.  Reason to think he's more tradeable to somebody looking this year and beyond and doesn't blow as big a hole in the everyday lineup, especially when Werth gets back.

Offline DPMOmaha

Jackie Bradley Jr was picked 40th overall (a sandwich 1st rounder) in 2011.

The Nats took:
23rd - Alex Meyer
34th - Brian Goodwin

So, the Nats passed on Bradley 2 times.

Dang it.  Would have loved to have added that kid to our system.

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
I actually don't get this idea at all - I'm on record as not loving LaRoche and thinking 1b is the key problem of the offseason, but right now, midseason, he's the only lefty pop in the entire lineup over the age of 20.  I don't think you want to be going into the playoffs with Harper as the only lefty power bat.

Morse is a much better trade chip - as young or younger, under team control, replaceable from the Nats perspective, not as good defensively at 1b.  Reason to think he's more tradeable to somebody looking this year and beyond and doesn't blow as big a hole in the everyday lineup, especially when Werth gets back.
I get what you mean, by LaRoche might be gone after this season either way. I'm not against holding onto LaRoche, just think he's a possibility to get dealt.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I don't understand what the obsession is with "lefty pop"

Who cares what side of the plate he hits from so long as he hits

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Phil Mackey ‏@PMac21I'm told the #Marlins have officially decided to go into "sell" mode. Players available include Hanley Ramirez, Heath Bell, Josh Johnson.

So they trade for Lee and then go in to sell mode?

Offline HalfSmokes

good luck getting someone to take bell

Offline hammondsnats

outfielder
starting pitcher
catcher

Offline DPMOmaha

good luck getting someone to take bell

How long is his deal?  They're looking to move him already?

Offline hammondsnats

i'd take josh johnson holy crap yes.

Offline Hogie

Be sellers please. Flores ended our season tonight. Trade everyone.

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
It remains to be seen whether or not the Rays will buy or sell close to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, but James Shields could still be moved.

Trading the right-hander could either bring back a much-needed bat, or give Tampa Bay enough financial flexibility to find a bat elsewhere.

The Tigers, who seem to have determined that starting pitching is their biggest need, are one team that could be interested in Shields.
Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/31588/20120716/rays_may_decide_to_trade_shields/#ixzz20qhlRMB6

I have no idea if someone else has posted this but what about James Shield from the Rays? Hes a solid pitcher who could become something really special leaving the AL east. He's have a down year so it might not take alot to get him and after this year let Edwin Jackson walk and go with

Stras-GIO-Zimmann-Shields-Detwiler (or even bring back Jackson)

Maybe we can dangle Michael Morse in the offseason to them? Im not really sure but he seems like a pitcher who can flourish here like GIO.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
I would love me some Josh Johnson!

Send them whatever!

Just get Josh!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Whats with the sudden urge to trade Morse?

Offline Kevrock

People want a corner OF which pushes Morse or LaRoche out.

Offline Coladar

Be sellers please. Flores endewd our season tonight. Trade everyone.

Jesus christ I prayed you were kidding. I was so certain, not wanting to make an ass of myself I looked at your post history. Holy crap. Wow, get a grip. We lead the NL. They added a fifth playoff spot. Its JULY. It was one game. We LEAD the NL east.

Man the attention. Stras and Harper bring is a negative. Redskins fans going nutso. There are ten times as many games in baseball. One game is meaningless. I think I understand why fairweather fans jump the second you don't win the World Series. Not because they root for winners, because they'd take a shotgun to the head. I mean, imagine the state of mind of the above in 2008. Seriously, making a ton of posts saying this exact thing? That's beyond insane. In baseball, one game means nothing. Not in July. Then you add the fifth playoff and our standing? Holy crap.

The MDS version: One word.

Wow.

Just wow.

Offline HalfSmokes

July games aren't meaningless - every win now is a game you can rest players for the playoffs (if we continue to lead) or a game we don't need to win down the stretch (if we start slipping), I prefer looking at series, and I'll take a split with the marlins

Offline Kevrock

MLBTR hasn't had a single rumor about us.

Offline HalfSmokes

Maybe they're tired of missing wildly every time they try?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Be sellers please. Flores ended our season tonight. Trade everyone.
:panic:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
i'd take josh johnson holy crap yes.

Me, too.

Of course, the Nats don't have spare players, except for HRod, maybe Marerro, DeRosa, and Nady. Throw in Lannan.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
We're #1 with a little cushion in the NL. We can afford to sit tight and wait for Werth to get healthy. Any move we make would probably be small.