Author Topic: Playoff Ticket Secondary Market Watch  (Read 22047 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Playoff Ticket Secondary Market Watch
« Reply #25: September 17, 2012, 07:29:36 PM »
I am incredibly worried that I am not going to have ticket partners step up to buy World Series tickets.  At $530 a pair for S&S club, I'm thinking folks are going to pass. 

PM me when the time comes, I'm in line to get the seats from my group for at least one of those games ($800 a pair) but I'll be looking for tickets for the other games.  (Thank God for Dierks Bentley paying for my post season.)

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #26: September 17, 2012, 07:31:19 PM »
Feel free to PM me too when the time comes JCA. I doubt you will have problems.

Offline markfnc

« Reply #27: September 18, 2012, 06:39:21 AM »
Are there any weekend games in any of the various rounds?  I thought i saw the schedule, but cant find it now. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #28: September 18, 2012, 08:20:22 AM »

Both of my purchases were through secondary sellers.

I'm curious how this works.  What if the game isn't played? (i.e. Nats don't make it as far as the game you bought tickets for.)  How are you guaranteed a refund if you buy from a secondary seller?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #29: September 18, 2012, 08:37:02 AM »
Are there any weekend games in any of the various rounds?  I thought i saw the schedule, but cant find it now. 

Surprisingly there is almost no chance of a home game on a Saturday, unless the nats fall behind the Reds and Giants but not the Braves in which case they'll start out at home on the 6th. If the Nats make it to the LCS and have home field advantage, there will be home games on the Sundays, the 14th and 21st. Only possible Friday games are 1) if they play in the Wildcard game, 2) if the have the best overall record and go to game 5 in the DCS or 3) if they are the road team in the LCS and make it to game 5. Lots of weeknight home games if the playoff seeds remain as they are today.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #30: September 18, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »
I'm curious how this works.  What if the game isn't played? (i.e. Nats don't make it as far as the game you bought tickets for.)  How are you guaranteed a refund if you buy from a secondary seller?

Stubhub refunds 100%. I would be very careful on any other site.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #31: September 18, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
Lots of weeknight home games

= lots of empty seats.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #32: September 18, 2012, 08:51:09 AM »
= lots of empty seats.

Lots of visiting fans buying cheap seats on Stubhub while Nats fans take the loss.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #33: September 18, 2012, 08:55:29 AM »
Yes but it's one thing to go to an away stadium for a regular season game, when you can plan well in advance.  I don't know that we'll be seeing as many visiting fans for the playoffs because travel does require some planning.  But we'll see.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #34: September 18, 2012, 08:56:44 AM »
Stubhub refunds 100%. I would be very careful on any other site.

Wait, seriously!? I thought it was just going to be the Nationals refunding you the face value of the ticket. Do you know where I can find the pages/documents where Stubhub states they'll refund your tickets?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #35: September 18, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »
= lots of empty seats.

Not if my group is any indication. I have a group (4 tix with 10 partners) and they can't get enough tickets, even though I bought 2 extra strips. I have to allocate them in pairs.

Don't underestimate the fact that Washington has not had a postseason baseball game since 1933. All games will be sellouts, for sure, though resellers may not command the prices they would like. But that's a good thing.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #36: September 18, 2012, 09:04:22 AM »
Wait, seriously!? I thought it was just going to be the Nationals refunding you the face value of the ticket. Do you know where I can find the pages/documents where Stubhub states they'll refund your tickets?

I bet you can take any game ticket to the Nats and get a refund if you bought it on the secondary market. And if you click on any playoff game tickets on SH, the below pops up:

Before you purchase tickets to this playoff game, keep in mind that:

If this game does take place, your tickets will be delivered electronically 48 hours before the event. We will let you know when your tickets are available.

If the game is not played, you will automatically receive a refund within 48 hours of the event being cancelled, including any service or shipping fees.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #37: September 18, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »
Yes but it's one thing to go to an away stadium for a regular season game, when you can plan well in advance.  I don't know that we'll be seeing as many visiting fans for the playoffs because travel does require some planning.  But we'll see.

There are a lot of Braves fans living in the area, lots will drive up from Richmond. Not as many Cards, Giants, or Reds fans, but still a good number of each within driving distance.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #38: September 18, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »

Go on the site and pull up one of the Nats playoff games. I've been toying with the idea of buying Presidents Club tickets for game seven of the WS.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #39: September 18, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »
There are a lot of Braves fans living in the area, lots will drive up from Richmond. Not as many Cards, Giants, or Reds fans, but still a good number of each within driving distance.

...but enough of those lobotomised chopping idiots to ruin the ambience at Braves visits as it is (and Richmond was for many years their top farm club).

Offline Ray D

« Reply #40: September 18, 2012, 09:22:36 AM »

Don't underestimate the fact that Washington has not had a postseason baseball game since 1933. All games will be sellouts, for sure,

I'll be interested to see whether that's true.   Not too long ago, people predicted that if we were still in the running, September games would all sellout.   Sure, you can make excuses why the fans aren't showing up but all those excuses were known back when the predictions of sellouts were made (I mean, it's not as though school suddenly started, to everyone's surprise). So, I'm skeptical that we'll be selling out all weeknight playoff games.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #41: September 18, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
Any talk of playoff games not selling out is nuts. The only question is how the resale market will behave. And no one really knows since this is uncharted territory for this franchise. It's fun to speculate though.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #42: September 18, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »
I'll be interested to see whether that's true.   Not too long ago, people predicted that if we were still in the running, September games would all sellout.   Sure, you can make excuses why the fans aren't showing up but all those excuses were known back when the predictions of sellouts were made (I mean, it's not as though school suddenly started, to everyone's surprise). So, I'm skeptical that we'll be selling out all weeknight playoff games.

In 1933 there were no Redskins (they moved here in 1937)...much has changed since then.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #43: September 18, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »

Regular season games during a playoff drive and playoff games are apples and oranges.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #44: September 18, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »
Regular season games during a playoff drive and playoff games are apples and oranges.

But if what's happening here were happening in, say, Philadelphia, they would sell out every September game, with certaintly. So I don't see how you can predict, with such confidence, that we'll sell out all playoff games.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #45: September 18, 2012, 10:02:04 AM »
Because Playoff Games are an event and DC is an Event town. I would be absolutely shocked if the playoff games were not sold out.

This is not Atlanta

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #46: September 18, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »
Not too long ago, people predicted that if we were still in the running, September games would all sellout.   

Not all predictions are equal. Loopy predictions aside, it seems a safe bet October games are better attended.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #47: September 18, 2012, 10:18:44 AM »
Not all predictions are equal. Loopy predictions aside, it seems a safe bet October games are better attended.

There's also a difference from being far ahead to clawing your way to a post season. If the Nats were 2 games out of a wildcard and scratching to get into the post season, these September games would have a lot more perceived urgency I would imagine.

That's why that Caps run in 2007 was so compelling. Every game was do or die, it was really exciting for everyone.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #48: September 18, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »
it seems a safe bet October games are better attended.

Sure they'll be better attended.  But there's a big gap between "better attended" and soldout.  Especially when a good weeknight draw is about 17,000.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #49: September 18, 2012, 10:19:48 AM »
Sure they'll be better attended.  But there's a big gap between "better attended" and soldout.  Especially when a good weeknight draw is about 17,000.

I wouldn't worry about it