Author Topic: Playoff Ticket Secondary Market Watch  (Read 22047 times)

Offline USF_Football

Re: Playoff Ticket Secondary Market Watch
« Reply #125: September 19, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »
I have to book a flight ahead of time (have to take off work, etc). Bad enough I'm flying to Tampa next week to see USF play FSU... but now I'm making it back to back weekends on the road. If I had the tickets in hand, I would have felt 100x's better. Stub Hub and Ebay are asking for an arm and a leg already.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #126: September 19, 2012, 10:58:35 AM »
In other words, most of the ticket demand is from re-sellers.

Maybe. Then the free market will decide the true value of these tickets. I don't plan to resell a single one, just so you know where I'm coming from.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #127: September 19, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
Got 2 tickets section 406 for Game 1 NLDS, meh. Will try again Friday

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #128: September 19, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
Got 2 tickets section 406 for Game 1 NLDS, meh. Will try again Friday

Do you think that they are holding back tickets for Friday? I'm wondering the same thing. Artificial demand.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #129: September 19, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »
If that's what it is, that's a pretty crappy thing to do. If it's a legitimate attempt to ensure everyone has a chance to get tickets then ok, fair enough. Being around the business side of the house though I tend to think it's just trying to manipulate the market to drive up demand.

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #130: September 19, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
They're offering tickets again for Game 1... Party Suites tickets. Nothing else though... sucks!

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #131: September 19, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »
Can't wait until we suck again TIC

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #132: September 19, 2012, 11:19:25 AM »
Do you think that they are holding back tickets for Friday? I'm wondering the same thing. Artificial demand.

i hope this team goes to hell if that is the case.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #133: September 19, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
Question - if we have the 2d best record in the NL and win the division, would we still have the first two games on the road, most likely against the NL West winner?  Or would it be the normal 2-2-1 format?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #134: September 19, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Question - if we have the 2d best record in the NL and win the division, would we still have the first two games on the road, most likely against the NL West winner?  Or would it be the normal 2-2-1 format?

I believe all Division Series this season will be the 2-3 format.

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #135: September 19, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »
Well... I ended up with two individual tickets in the PNC Diamond Club section (could only get them in singles, no pair). I bought mine initially, but I told my dad he could have that ticket if I couldn't get another one on the next go around (I could always buy a ticket off a scalper). My dad is disabled and his vision is going south for the most part, so good seats matter IMO. Fortunately, I got a second seat in the PNC Diamond Club section a section away and a couple rows different. Life is good... Proverbial gun removed from my head. Time to pony up for a plane ticket.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #136: September 19, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »

Every report I've seen says it's the 2–3 format for all division series this year, presumably because they figure it would be unfair to use one format in one series but another in the other. (Although that wouldn't be unprecedented in recent pro sports history—for a time in the 1990s the NHL gave Western Conference teams in series involving Pacific Division clubs the choice between the standard 2–2–1–1–1 format or a 2–3–2 format due to the travel involved.)

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #137: September 19, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »
Second best record still puts us at home for Games 1 and 2. If we have the second best record, we play Games 1 and 2 on Saturday and Sunday. If we have the best overall record, we play Game 1 on Sunday. USF plays Temple in Philly in football that day (I played at USF back in the day). I might be able to pull off a doubleheader on Saturday depending on game times and how the Nats finish. Here's hoping for no lower than the second best record or I'm totally screwed with my ticket!

Offline Ray D

« Reply #138: September 19, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
Yes, still the 2-3 format. The reason is that they decided to add the extra wildcard so late that tv schedules were set and they could not fit a second travel day into the division rounds.  (Which, to me, is absurd reasoning.)   

Offline Ray D

« Reply #139: September 19, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »
Second best record still puts us at home for Games 1 and 2.

Sorry, but no, it doesn't.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #140: September 19, 2012, 11:49:25 AM »
Second best record still puts us at home for Games 1 and 2. If we have the second best record, we play Games 1 and 2 on Saturday and Sunday. If we have the best overall record, we play Game 1 on Sunday. USF plays Temple in Philly in football that day (I played at USF back in the day). I might be able to pull off a doubleheader on Saturday depending on game times and how the Nats finish. Here's hoping for no lower than the second best record or I'm totally screwed with my ticket!

??? I think you're confused. The postseason will be seeded as follows:

#1 v. wild-card winner; wild-card winner gets first two home games and #1 gets the last three

#2 v. #3; #3 gets first two home games and #2 gets the last three

For the Nationals to be at home for Games 1 and 2 they'd need to have the third-best record of the division winners or else be a wild-card team.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #141: September 19, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »
If that's what it is, that's a pretty crappy thing to do. If it's a legitimate attempt to ensure everyone has a chance to get tickets then ok, fair enough. Being around the business side of the house though I tend to think it's just trying to manipulate the market to drive up demand.

I'm going with "a legitimate attempt to ensure everyone has a chance to get tickets." Sort of.

They probably have held a few back so the general public isn't pissed about only having crappy tickets available when the sale goes live Friday. It's good marketing and good customer relations.

Nothing to be paranoid about. They obviously don't have to do anything to drive up demand, if today is an indication.

If you think about it, they've already kind of limited sales by limiting it to only 4 per person per game.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #142: September 19, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
Sorry, but no, it doesn't.

Seed #2 probably has the Nats going to SF for the first two games and then 3-5 games will be here.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #143: September 19, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »
Yeah, but I would have to say alot of that demand it people using bots to buy up tickets to re sell. I wish there was a way to filter that out. I would also be interested in seeing the numbers of what sold today vice what is being released on friday and what is being held back altogether (for the other team, MLB, etc.)

We got lucky and got four... probably only going to use two though.

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #144: September 19, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
1995hoo... Thanks for pointing that out. I just read the article online with the Washington Post. What I read from a MLB site was different. I about just bought a plane ticket. Now, I have to wait it out... Damn... This is going to get pricey!

Offline Ray D

« Reply #145: September 19, 2012, 11:58:37 AM »
Seed #2 probably has the Nats going to SF for the first two games and then 3-5 games will be here.

And possibly just game 3.  That's right, could be a sweep (either way).  That's one reason (among many) that this system reeks from lack of clear thinking.  After all of this (possibly best record in MLB) we could end up with exactly one home game.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #146: September 19, 2012, 12:03:14 PM »
Yeah, but I would have to say alot of that demand it people using bots to buy up tickets to re sell. I wish there was a way to filter that out. I would also be interested in seeing the numbers of what sold today vice what is being released on friday and what is being held back altogether (for the other team, MLB, etc.)

We got lucky and got four... probably only going to use two though.

"Vice"? Do you mean "versus"?  :confused:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #147: September 19, 2012, 12:18:28 PM »
Yeah, but I would have to say alot of that demand it people using bots to buy up tickets to re sell. I wish there was a way to filter that out.

I have no idea if that's the case. Either way, resellers will put them on the market and no matter the price dictated by the market, they will sell out. I can't imagine resellers will get stuck with inventory. They will simply drop their prices, even below face value if they have to.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #148: September 19, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
I'm going to have to blame autocorrect on that on, but yes I did mean versus.

I know the prices will be what the market is willing to spend, I just wish there was a way to cut it out more. Let's be real, people are buying these up to re sell for profit and ultimatelymake a quick buck off of others. I'm not dumb enough to think you can eliminate this completely, I just wish there was a way to minimize it, that is all.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #149: September 19, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »
They're trying to minimize it. They gave season ticket holders MONTHS of priority time, then had a limited sale with info sent out to people who had actually bought tickets during the season. And of course there were various anti-bot measures in place during the purchase process. There's not much more that they can do.

The Cubs were caught scalping their own tickets at one point last decade: they were selling them directly to scalpers without putting them up at the box office for face value. So it could be worse.