Author Topic: Disney bought Star Wars and is making sequels.  (Read 4043 times)

Offline houston-nat

Disney bought Star Wars and is making sequels.
« Topic Start: October 30, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
W.T.F. this has to be a joke

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

Burbank, CA and San Francisco, CA, October 30, 2012 – Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and "evergreen" Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

Offline UMDNats

Re: Disney bought Star Wars and is making sequels.
« Reply #1: October 30, 2012, 04:18:04 PM »

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2: October 30, 2012, 04:18:13 PM »
what is this i don't even

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: October 30, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
I recall that Lucas at one time had plans for a 9 episode Star Wars, with 4, 5, and 6 being the middle 3.  You can imagine the next generation of Skywalkers and another Jedi schism pretty easily.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #5: October 30, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
I thought it was a 7 episode Star Wars with episode 7 being the finale.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #6: October 30, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »
I thought it was a 7 episode Star Wars with episode 7 being the finale.

Nope.  It's always been nine.

Doesn't matter anyway, Episodes I, II and III all sucked and there are so many spinoff stories that Lucas sold out on that even Tarantino could'nt do the last trilogy right.  That franchise died when Spielberg left.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #7: October 30, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
I feel bad for Star Wars fans right about now. I can't claim to be one in any sense (just enjoyed episodes 4-6) but I feel you. Now if a new Star Trek show was announced I'd be excited (until I saw the premise, that is...)

This is going to be a LOT of money for Disney.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #8: October 30, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »
I recall that Lucas at one time had plans for a 9 episode Star Wars, with 4, 5, and 6 being the middle 3.  You can imagine the next generation of Skywalkers and another Jedi schism pretty easily.

I'm pretty sure that was a nice myth perpetuated by Lucas. He obviously only cares about cash, he made billions off of the awful prequels.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #9: October 30, 2012, 04:38:08 PM »
I actually think this could end up being a good thing. Theoretically, it gives Disney the rights to remake Episodes I, II, and III.

Second, they've done a really good job with Pirates of the Caribbean as well as Tron.

They can't make it any worse than what's already been done ...

Offline grizzly

« Reply #10: October 30, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
I actually think this could end up being a good thing. Theoretically, it gives Disney the rights to remake Episodes I, II, and III.

Second, they've done a really good job with Pirates of the Caribbean as well as Tron.

They can't make it any worse than what's already been done ...

They did a really good job with Pirates?  Did you see 2-4??

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #11: October 30, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
I feel bad for Star Wars fans right about now. I can't claim to be one in any sense (just enjoyed episodes 4-6) but I feel you. Now if a new Star Trek show was announced I'd be excited (until I saw the premise, that is...)

This is going to be a LOT of money for Disney.

^

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #12: October 30, 2012, 05:04:45 PM »
oh good lord baby jebus.

what the hell.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #13: October 30, 2012, 05:22:48 PM »
While my initial reaction was similar to everyone else's, on second glance I somewhat share Slate's thoughts.  Maybe with Lucas out of the way and some fresh talent holding the reigns they can re-capture some of that Episode 4-6 magic.  Far from guaranteed of course, but at least the possibility is there.  They also have the benefit of being able to learn from the mistakes Lucas made with 1-3.

All of that having been said, I expect this will most likely be a disaster.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #14: October 30, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »

I'm pretty sure that was a nice myth perpetuated by Lucas. He obviously only cares about cash, he made billions off of the awful prequels.

So Lucas is a Lerner.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #15: October 30, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »
Episode 3 is as good as 4 or 5 and episode 6 was as bad as 1 and 2. I'd like to see where they take the series, seems to me that the whole Jedi live on after death thing is playing it close to the dark side.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #16: October 30, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »
Episode 3 is as good as 4 or 5 and episode 6 was as bad as 1 and 2. I'd like to see where they take the series, seems to me that the whole Jedi live on after death thing is playing it close to the dark side.

Everyone has different opinions on the merits of each episode. I liked 2 and 3 almost as much as I liked 4 and 5. I've heard people say they loved 6 best. The only thing that most people agree on is that 1 sucked ass.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #17: October 30, 2012, 06:01:26 PM »

lol, you're on crack if you think 3 holds a candle to 5.  I don't agree with the other comparisons either but I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

3 = 5 I dismiss out of hand.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #18: October 30, 2012, 06:01:27 PM »
So Lucas is a Lerner.

how dare you speak of the family he worships!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #19: October 30, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
2 and 3 were ruined by whiny nag Anikan whining and nagging and begging Natalie Portman to freak him.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #20: October 30, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »
2 and 3 were ruined by whiny nag Anikan whining and nagging and begging Natalie Portman to freak him.

I mean to be fair....

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #21: October 30, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »
lol, you're on crack if you think 3 holds a candle to 5.  I don't agree with the other comparisons either but I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

3 = 5 I dismiss out of hand.

3 is the one that I'm most likely to watch through to the end if it's on TV, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but after watching 3 I went back and watched the others to see how they all fit together, I hadn't seen the originals since they were first released.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #22: October 30, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »
They did a really good job with Pirates?  Did you see 2-4??

Yes. They were okay. Disney hasn't messed up Marvel.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #23: October 30, 2012, 06:36:45 PM »

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #24: October 30, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »
Can't be worse than the 3 prequels.