Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 424048 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #650: February 10, 2009, 11:39:02 PM »
Hello Pebbleball,

Welcome!  So, Brooks Robinson learned to hit as a kid by hitting pebbles.  Is that the reason for your moniker?

A Dukes fan too I take it!

MrMadison

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #652: February 10, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »
Hello Pebbleball,

Welcome!  So, Brooks Robinson learned to hit as a kid by hitting pebbles.  Is that the reason for your moniker?

A Dukes fan too I take it!

Good guess, but the reason is more Washington-centric.  I chose the name for the pebble in Griffith Stadium that helped tie, or win (depending on the account) game 7 of the '24 World Series for the Senators. 

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #653: February 11, 2009, 12:22:03 PM »
Good guess, but the reason is more Washington-centric.  I chose the name for the pebble in Griffith Stadium that helped tie, or win (depending on the account) game 7 of the '24 World Series for the Senators. 

Good one!  Once again, welcome!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #654: February 16, 2009, 11:16:52 PM »
There's like 8 new posters posting today. Wow!

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #655: February 16, 2009, 11:56:50 PM »
hello,

I've followed this forum for a few years... far and away the best.  figured i'd jump in this year.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #656: February 17, 2009, 12:03:39 AM »
Welcome one and all :clap:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #657: February 17, 2009, 07:45:53 AM »
Hello, all,

I am a "refugee" from Nats Fanatic, and, in a different life, one of the staff at The Hogs Net.

Born in DC at Garfield Hospital, which sat on the third-base side of Griffith Stadium, saw my first live game when they awarded Mickey Vernon the Hillerich and Bradsby "silver bat" as AL batting champion. Suffered through the '50s teams, was about 11 in 1959, the year the Senators broke the major league record for consecutive losses but also had Harmon Killebrew (42 HR, co-AL champ), Jim Lemon (33), Bob Allison (31), and Roy Sievers (21 HR on half a season). That year, Camilo Pascual led (or was second) in strikeouts, won 17 lost 10, had a .260 ERA, pitched about 18 complete games with six or ten shutouts, and also hit about .310.

For 1960, see David Gough's "They've Stolen Our Team".

With great sense of loss, cheered for the New Senators (see David Hartley's book).

Listened to the "last game" over Yankees radio, so I heard Phil Rizzuto and Bill White call that last inning.

Felt profound disgust for MLB, increased about 1990 when I took my son to Cooperstown, and found almost no mention that Washington had had baseball since the 1870s: only evidence being Walter Johnson's plaque, the presidential seats from the old stadium, and an insulting display case -- in the Texas Rangers area -- of the 1969 red trimmed uniform, with red curly-W hat, selected by {he who shall not be named}, the owner who shorted the District and moved to Dallas/Ft Worth.

I believe that all seasons played between 1972 and 2004, inclusive, have an asterisk: by the nature of MLB, and by tradition going back to President Taft, the baseball season starts when the President throws out the first pitch at a Nats/Senators game. No pitch...no season.

Took delight in bringing my daughter to RFK just to show her the remaining seats painted to show that Frank Howard hat hit them. She was amazed, and I was amused to read that current players had grumbled that RFK was to big for them.

I believe that last year's team was the worst I've seen in a Washington uniform. "These are the times that try men's souls" as Tom Paine wrote about a more serious crisis.

Having grown up with the '50s and '60s Nats and Redskins, I tell younger fans that this all makes it sweeter when the team gets good. I hope that's soon!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #658: February 17, 2009, 08:27:50 AM »
Welcome aboard.   :thumbs:  It's cool when new posters say they have been following the forum for a while and they think it's the best one around (yet some have left it and said bad things about it because they didn't get their way).

Offline The Chief

« Reply #659: February 17, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »
Welcome welch :clap:

And sorry again about the confusion with your registration!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #660: February 17, 2009, 09:26:10 AM »
Welcome "newbies"!    :lol:  (I love saying that to someone older even than I am)

Welch, our most senior member, nospinzone, is currently recovering from his latest age related indignity, but if and when he catches wind of your Camilo Pasqual reference, he's likely to start spinning stories from when he used to hang out with this cuban brother in DC. 

MrMadison

« Reply #661: February 17, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »
Welcome, Newblets!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #662: February 17, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »
Welcome Rookies!  ;)

Offline saltydad

« Reply #663: February 17, 2009, 05:00:12 PM »
I love the references to Griffith Stadium and Garfield..my beginnings also. Welcome one and all.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #664: February 17, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »
Welch, do you know Jim H.?  I think he collaborated on that book you mentioned.  Do you get NATS NEWS?  A lot of history there as well.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #665: February 18, 2009, 07:32:19 AM »
Hello there,

I used to belong to the Washington Baseball Historical Society, and read Nats News, the wonderful monthly journal of WBHS. Have David Gough's "They've Stolen Our Team: the 1960 Senators", and keep meaning to get David Hartley's "The Expansion Senators". Never met them, though.

I've lived in NYC since 1969, so I missed the WBHS Nats Fests.

Must say, "hats off" to the people who led WBHS, to Gough and Hartley, to those who kept the Nats memory alive.

Offline blue911

« Reply #666: February 18, 2009, 10:19:42 AM »
I once knew a girl from NYC that was related to Mickey Welch.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #667: February 18, 2009, 03:03:51 PM »
Hello there,

I used to belong to the Washington Baseball Historical Society, and read Nats News, the wonderful monthly journal of WBHS. Have David Gough's "They've Stolen Our Team: the 1960 Senators", and keep meaning to get David Hartley's "The Expansion Senators". Never met them, though.

I've lived in NYC since 1969, so I missed the WBHS Nats Fests.

Must say, "hats off" to the people who led WBHS, to Gough and Hartley, to those who kept the Nats memory alive.

Hartley's a friend of mine.  If you want any copies of his book, I might be able to arrange it for you.  Just send me an email.  He has 2 books.  One is about the Senators time at RFK.  I'm not sure if his books are available via the usual bookstores any more or not.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #668: February 20, 2009, 02:18:27 PM »
I've been stalking this board for about a year now, taking advantage of a slow day to finally join. Moved up to DC and started going to Nats games in 07.

I enjoy watching the game and being at the ball park but I will confess up front that I do NOT have the breadth and depth of knowledge that most folks on this board have. I do know what I enjoy and that's baseball, and I am, a Nats fan.

Full season ticket holder last year (Red Loft) and this year (Red Porch). Managed to make it to over 50 games last year, hope to do the same this year. Left the Red Loft because it was too hard to get a beer up there (and the lowered the price of the seats on the Red Porch).

Very excited about the team this year, what's not to love about spring training.  Heading down to FL the weekend of 7/8 March to see our guys play the Mets at Port Ste. Lucie and the Mets take on our guys in Viera.

Happy to be a part of the WNFF.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #669: February 20, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »
Welcome aboard Galah.  :thumbs:

« Reply #670: February 20, 2009, 02:22:37 PM »
I've been stalking this board for about a year now, taking advantage of a slow day to finally join. Moved up to DC and started going to Nats games in 07.

I enjoy watching the game and being at the ball park but I will confess up front that I do NOT have the breadth and depth of knowledge that most folks on this board have. I do know what I enjoy and that's baseball, and I am, a Nats fan.

Full season ticket holder last year (Red Loft) and this year (Red Porch). Managed to make it to over 50 games last year, hope to do the same this year. Left the Red Loft because it was too hard to get a beer up there (and the lowered the price of the seats on the Red Porch).

Very excited about the team this year, what's not to love about spring training.  Heading down to FL the weekend of 7/8 March to see our guys play the Mets at Port Ste. Lucie and the Mets take on our guys in Viera.

Happy to be a part of the WNFF.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #671: February 20, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
I'm going to Las Vegas for my 21st birthday in May. can't wait :az:

Offline Galah

« Reply #672: February 20, 2009, 02:37:43 PM »
Thanks guys, I feel so special already, promise not to let it go to my head.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #673: February 20, 2009, 02:42:15 PM »
Welcome! :clap:

Offline Galah

« Reply #674: February 20, 2009, 02:57:20 PM »
I'm honored Chief
Thanks
Always enjoy reading your posts.