Author Topic: Exercise Thread  (Read 6729 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Exercise Thread
« Reply #100: March 09, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »
Old home day for you.

Not sure if I mentioned it by my ancestors had a parcel of land in what is now Montgomery CO, not far from Sugarloaf MT.    In those days, the tract of land in that area was referred to as the Sugarloaf Hundred.*

*A hundred was an administrative division which was geographically part of a larger region; it was formerly used in England, Wales, some parts of the United States  ....  (from wiki)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #101: March 09, 2016, 04:19:25 PM »
Pretty cool. I wonder what that land is worth now? Nevermind. Not worth torturing yourself.

Not sure if I mentioned it by my ancestors had a parcel of land in what is now Montgomery CO, not far from Sugarloaf MT.    In those days, the tracts of land in that area were referred to as the Sugarloaf Hundred.*

*A hundred was an administrative division which was geographically part of a larger region; it was formerly used in England, Wales, some parts of the United States  ....  (from wiki)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #102: March 10, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »
has anyone hiked Buzzard Rock?
http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/BuzzardRockNorth/

I'm looking for somewhere to take my three year old hiking this weekend- she's a big fan of climbing 'mountains' - so far sky meadows has been her favorite hike, but being 3 there's a definite limit to how much she can do

That looks like a good option given a difficulty of "2" and views "5".  I've backpacked around Signal knob, nearby.  Elizabeth Furnace is a good easy camping option.  One caveat, opening couple of weeks of trout season get crazy where Fort Road runs along Passage Creek.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #103: March 10, 2016, 03:48:27 PM »
Pretty cool. I wonder what that land is worth now? Nevermind. Not worth torturing yourself.

Years back, I went to the Montgomery Historical Library in Rockville.    The lady (librarian) and I laughed about that.   Turns out the original property is close to the Gaithersburg Sports Center.    :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #104: March 10, 2016, 04:00:08 PM »
Woah.
Years back, I went to the Montgomery Historical Library in Rockville.    The lady (librarian) and I laughed about that.   Turns out the original property is close to the Gaithersburg Sports Center.    :)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #105: March 11, 2016, 07:54:59 PM »
Been running a bit. Got a really nice route that's about 3 and a half miles. Hasn't been terrible. It's been a decent walk/run mix. Shaved 3 minutes off my last time which means I probably ran about 1/4 - 1/2 a mile more than last time over walking.

Been walking the mile to work more, too now that the weather has been nice.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #106: March 11, 2016, 07:59:47 PM »
Walking is the most underrated exercise. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #107: March 11, 2016, 08:12:27 PM »
Been running a bit. Got a really nice route that's about 3 and a half miles. Hasn't been terrible. It's been a decent walk/run mix. Shaved 3 minutes off my last time which means I probably ran about 1/4 - 1/2 a mile more than last time over walking.

Been walking the mile to work more, too now that the weather has been nice.
Good for you; keep it up.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #108: March 11, 2016, 08:12:39 PM »
Tru dat

Offline mitlen

« Reply #109: March 11, 2016, 08:22:59 PM »

I walk 6 miles every other day (non-gym days).    Used to run it but my hips are old.    Walking is one of the most mind clearing activities you can do   ...   that and shootin' hoops.    I walk everytime I golf as well.    Good infantry training.    :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #110: May 15, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
Can someone explain strava's superstore- they just added it as a field on garmin watches. I tried it out and got a 129 this morning, but I have no idea what that means

Offline wj73

« Reply #111: May 16, 2016, 04:18:09 PM »
No idea - I have the Garmin Vivofit HR, and it's not a field on that (so far).  Google says it's a bicycling store?