Author Topic: Non-alcoholic Drinks  (Read 30702 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: keurig coffee makers
« Reply #250: September 20, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »
If you don't care about your coffee, you will like it well enough. If you do care about coffee, you will find it makes a weak, stale brew.

Just my opinion. We buy and grind (each day) Starbucks French Roast or Mayorga Cubano for a change. So you know what my coffee tastes are. :)

:clap:

Brew your own.  Grind the beans, adjust the quantity to taste, control the process.   I don't think you're going to find Caffe Amouri's Badlands or Cubano roasted beans in a Keurig pack.

http://caffeamouri.com/coffee-tea

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #251: September 20, 2011, 07:10:03 PM »
lol coffee snobs ;)
:lmao: @ Starbucks drinkers being coffee snobs.  That stuff is over roasted swill.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #252: September 20, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
:lmao: @ Starbucks drinkers being coffee snobs.  That stuff is over roasted swill.

Offline Nathan

Re: Non-alcoholic Drinks
« Reply #253: September 20, 2011, 07:17:13 PM »
Renamed the thread since some people equate soft drinks to soda.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #254: September 21, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »

It's often very acidic coffee, but it's usually not over-roasted. Oh wait, I'm expressing a considered opinion, I guess that makes me a coffee snob. ;)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #255: September 21, 2011, 01:20:06 PM »
It's often very acidic coffee, but it's usually not over-roasted. Oh wait, I'm expressing a considered opinion, I guess that makes me a coffee snob. ;)

Actually those were facts (or at least measurable assertions).  What you said before was what made you a coffee snob ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #256: September 21, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »
Actually those were facts (or at least measurable assertions).  What you said before was what made you a coffee snob ;)

I want to be a snob too, if there are only two choices here.

Snob is such a loaded word, so rife with unfavorable connotations, that it is generally unpopular but if appreciating fresh, dark, complex or potent brews is what gets you there, I want in.

All that being said, on our annual fall fishing/camping trip, the only coffee that has been acceptable to the discerning palates and the rest alike has been D.D.  So we find common ground on coffee, if not politics or what weight spinnerbait is best. 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #257: September 21, 2011, 01:34:12 PM »
you guys sure don't take well to ribbing :P

taste is a matter of preference, so imo "snob" perfectly describes the tone of the keurig pooh-pooh-ers in this thread.  I don't drink coffee so I personally couldn't care less, just :stir: and :poke:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #258: September 21, 2011, 01:39:52 PM »
you guys sure don't take well to ribbing :P

taste is a matter of preference, so imo "snob" perfectly describes the tone of the keurig pooh-pooh-ers in this thread.  I don't drink coffee so I personally couldn't care less, just :stir: and :poke:

I drink keurig at work, though lately I've been stopping in Vienna more and more to pay my $2 for the Caffe Amouri upgrade.    :P

I think the keurig disadvantages are pretty well defined
- Cost
- Lack of freshness compared to gourmet alternatives.
- Lack of choices - everything available in keurig is available in standard beans, but not vice versa
- Inflexibility of brewing concentration.  Sure, you can add some hot water if you want it weaker, but what do you do if you want it stronger, boil it down?    :shrug:

Still, for a work environment it certainly provides a lot more diverse options than just about any other system, with lots of teas, hot chocolates, etc available.  Some of us  :old: still remember the days of "making a pot of coffee" from institutional swill and then drinking it all afternoon as it boiled down.   Sometimes coming in the next day to find out somebody forgot to take the pot off the warmer.    :'(

Offline The Chief

« Reply #259: September 21, 2011, 01:46:07 PM »
The only time in my life when I ever drank coffee with any regularity was the summer I worked four ten-hour 4am-4pm shifts at a gas station convenience store.  Every morning was a 20oz cup of their strongest brew with several creamers and about a dozen sugars

Offline blue911

« Reply #260: September 21, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
Wouldn't 4am til 4 pm be a 12 hour shift?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #261: September 21, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »

Who wants to know and how much is it worth to them? :mg:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #262: September 21, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »

No wonder his paycheck seemed a bit light.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #263: September 21, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
Bite me. :shock: ;)

But seriously, if I'm not getting coffee at home, I usually drink 7-11 Columbian bold. If I happen by a Mayorga (infrequent anymore), I get Cubano. One of those will keep you awake for a least a week.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #264: September 22, 2011, 02:13:36 AM »
I use a grind and brew coffeemaker; tremendous diference to the old Melitta I used. I usually have a Kona mix, but once in a while will splurge on Jamaican Blue Mountain. And none of that 'beans run through the monkey or someting' for me thanks.   :(   I also have more than 1 or 2 mugs, and each mug is 2 cups. And on some days I use ground Luzianne.  I grew to love it in New Orleans.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #265: September 22, 2011, 02:47:27 AM »
I use a grind and brew coffeemaker; tremendous diference to the old Melitta I used. I usually have a Kona mix, but once in a while will splurge on Jamaican Blue Mountain. And none of that 'beans run through the monkey or someting' for me thanks.   :(   I also have more than 1 or 2 mugs, and each mug is 2 cups. And on some days I use ground Luzianne.  I grew to love it in New Orleans.

You don't mean Kopi Luwak do you?  Basically, a type of Civet in Indonesia eats the coffee berries, then people collect the poo, pull the beans out, and roast them.  It's the most expensive coffee in the world :lmao:

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #266: September 22, 2011, 08:09:03 AM »
I spent the weekend at a friend's place in Charleston this summer and, as "couch child" of the group, I was assigned the task of turning on the coffee maker in the morning. They didn't tell me the damn thing was going to start grinding beans! I nearly had a heart attack--sounded like a jet taking off!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #267: September 22, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »
[...]As for good local tea shops, Teaism I mentioned.  Also, down on the waterfront in Alexandria, there is Old Town Coffee, Tea, and Spice.  A great place for coffee as well as tea. Wonderful selection.

...and if you're ever in London don't miss Harrods tea department (coffee too, in the same room - right on the edge of the Food Halls) - selections for every taste and budget. (Tea and coffee are, in fact, where it all began when Charles Harrod opened the famous store back in 1849.)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #268: September 22, 2011, 08:59:25 AM »

The last time I had Starbucks (which was some years ago, at Tampa airport) it had rather a long-lasting flavour (and that is not meant in a positive way).

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #269: September 22, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »
I am generally not a fan of flavored coffee but there are exceptions. My favorite flavored coffee Nutty Nut (Vanilla Nut/Hazelnut with mystery nut flavors) from the Indian River Coffee Company in Melbourne, FL. Definitely worth a stop during a spring training visit. Their Hazelnut and German Chocolate coffee are also quite nice.

You can even order online. :mg:
http://www.indianrivercoffee.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CFL-SANTA

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #270: September 22, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »
The German Chocolate coffee?  does the aroma invade the French Vanilla coffee if they brewed near each other?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #271: September 22, 2011, 01:36:10 PM »
:rofl:
The German Chocolate coffee?  does the aroma invade the French Vanilla coffee if they brewed near each other?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #272: September 22, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »
There's a similar coffee in Laos that gets crapped out by a local type of badger.  I'm gonna try some next month.

You don't mean Kopi Luwak do you?  Basically, a type of Civet in Indonesia eats the coffee berries, then people collect the poo, pull the beans out, and roast them.  It's the most expensive coffee in the world :lmao:

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #273: September 22, 2011, 01:46:40 PM »
I can leave some out for a racoon that lives in our yard if you'd like to try that... what would you like going in, Starbucks French Roast or Mayorga Cubano?

There's a similar coffee in Laos that gets crapped out by a local type of badger.  I'm gonna try some next month.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #274: September 22, 2011, 02:14:12 PM »
i made a batch of horchata the other day - great stuff.