Author Topic: Anthony Rendon watch  (Read 4612 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Anthony Rendon watch
« Reply #25: August 20, 2010, 11:41:47 AM »
i'm not sure about that, as long as we aren't going to make the playoffs why not tank the rest of the season and draft as high as possible?  Move Dunn to short and bat Nieves in the lead-off spot. :)

Just make Marquis the 'anti-closer' - let him throw the first inning 3-4 times a week, especially for Stras starts.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #26: August 20, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
i'm not sure about that, as long as we aren't going to make the playoffs why not tank the rest of the season and draft as high as possible?  Move Dunn to short and bat Nieves in the lead-off spot. :)

People here say that isn't fan liketo root for us to lose. Then a giant challenging my fan hood argument will rise. History repeats itself.

Offline RD

« Reply #27: August 23, 2010, 06:16:17 PM »
This years draft does appear to be very deep, so if we're picking 8-10, there will still be elite talent left.

I think it's a given that Rendon, Purke, and Cole go in the top 3, unless one falls for unreal salary demands. Gotta say though, if we had the top pick, pairing Purke with Strasburg would be pretty amazing.

I would imagine that after two years of high end talent, with high end bonuses, we'll be looking at landing someone we can get signed a bit sooner. First thought is Danny Hultzen. Rizzo appears to like college kids, so a lefty arm that is pretty local, and a legitimate talent seems to be the odds on favorite.

My favorite pick right now would be Henry Owens. He's a HSer so we'll see how that goes, but the kid knows how to pitch. 88-91 now, but as he bulks up is 6'5 200lb frame, he should get to 90-92 consistently. He's got great secondary stuff with command of them. I would say his upside is that of Barry Zito earlier in his career.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #28: August 23, 2010, 06:20:07 PM »
I think our farm is getting stacked, I don't think we should worry about drafts anymore haha (now that we have Stras and Harper). A baseball draft is so deep that I don't really care about the top 10 picks anymore. We should concentrate now on the real team and keep developping our talent well down in the minors and we should be good. We just need better pitching, we have good pitching prospects but it's not enough even with the addition of Cole and Solis. I think we do have some good arms ready down there in AA or AAA like Milone but it's still not enough. But since we aren't in a playoffs run why not tank all of our remaing games for a better spot? I don't think it's possible because you still have to play the game, it's professional baseball not bush league. Anyways, I wish everyone would take things as easy as me but sincerely, I think drafting first overall for years to come shouldnt be the priority.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #29: August 23, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
Uh, well, Purke's still got 2 years before he's eligible again.  He was just a true freshman at TCU.

Offline RD

« Reply #30: August 23, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »
It's already been stated, but Purke IS draft eligible in 2011. He will be a draft eligible sophomore, because of his age.

Offline RD

« Reply #31: August 23, 2010, 08:01:13 PM »
Re: The #1 pick and 'tanking'. I was in favor of that strategy in Strasburg's year. He was such a special talent and the team needed someone like that, so I was ok with it.

Now, the system is on the upswing, there is some talent breaking through at the big league level. It's time to start winning and have those guys know what its like to compete for an entire season. There aren't any rare talents available and we aren't starving for such a player anymore. Now, we win as many games as possible and continue to try and improve. If the result is that we are the worst team in the league, and we land the top pick, then so be it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #32: August 23, 2010, 08:30:15 PM »
Re: The #1 pick and 'tanking'. I was in favor of that strategy in Strasburg's year. He was such a special talent and the team needed someone like that, so I was ok with it.
Missed that, sorry.  But he's gonna have a ton of leverage next year.  He'll be an expensive pick.  I'd love to get him though.  He's already turned down 15 pick money, wouldn't be shocked to see him do it again next year.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #33: August 23, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »
Missed that, sorry.  But he's gonna have a ton of leverage next year.  He'll be an expensive pick.  I'd love to get him though.  He's already turned down 15 pick money, wouldn't be shocked to see him do it again next year.

Let's draft him around 10 (if he lasts that long), or whenever it is we pick, and give him number 1/2/3 pick money. Also, are any of these people Boras clients? Isn't Rendon injured?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: August 23, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
Let's draft him around 10 (if he lasts that long), or whenever it is we pick, and give him number 1/2/3 pick money. Also, are any of these people Boras clients? Isn't Rendon injured?
If he lasts that long (which he won't) we should be on the phone the second the team ahead of us stupidly doesn't take him.  I might pass out if we can get him. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #35: August 23, 2010, 11:54:07 PM »
So, currently we're tied with the Royals for the 7th pick.  How is that tiebreaker decided?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #36: August 24, 2010, 12:04:10 AM »
So, currently we're tied with the Royals for the 7th pick.  How is that tiebreaker decided?
Nationals win the tiebreaker

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #37: August 24, 2010, 12:06:24 AM »
Because they lost the series?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #38: August 24, 2010, 12:11:42 AM »
Because they lost the series?
If two teams finish with identical records, the previous year's standings of the two teams is the tiebreaker, with the team having a worse record receiving the higher pick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Draft#Draft_order

Offline PC

« Reply #39: August 25, 2010, 10:54:09 PM »
We're just 3.5 games ahead of the #3 spot.  I think we can take it!

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #40: October 02, 2010, 04:32:26 PM »
They are going to either pick #5 or #6 overall in 2011

Offline zoom

« Reply #41: October 03, 2010, 11:16:10 AM »
Brian, what was/is your favorite source for draft prospects (and mock drafts)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #42: June 06, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »
lock thread