Author Topic: Frank Blames It All On The Bullpen  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Frank Blames It All On The Bullpen
« Topic Start: July 27, 2005, 02:43:46 AM »
Washington Post Article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/26/AR2005072602150_2.html

SNIPPETS:

"The bullpen didn't do its job," Washington Manager Frank Robinson said.
-------------

Later Robinson threw up his hands over Ayala's last pitch.

"It was 3-0," he said of the count. "You think [Jones] is swinging 3-0? No. If he is, let him. To me it looked like he was trying to make a perfect pitch on the corner. It was 3-0. Where are you going 3-0?"

Then he slumped in his chair.
-------------
Sometime afterward, after most of the clubhouse had emptied of players, Robinson was asked if his offense had maybe once again failed the Nationals. The manager wiped his head with a towel and said no.

"We got eight hits," he said. "We had enough runs to win this game tonight. You've got to get three outs and we didn't get them."

-------------

Senators2005 Comment on this Article:  :shock:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #1: July 27, 2005, 03:11:04 AM »
MLB.COM Article: http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050726&content_id=1145520&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

SNIPPETS:

---------------------------
"We had enough runs on the board to win tonight. All we had to do was get three outs, and we didn't do it tonight. You have to win some of those games like that," said manager Frank Robinson.
---------------------------
Robinson even questioned what Ayala was trying to do on the 3-0 pitch.

"It wasn't a very good outing for Ayala," he said. "He hit a batter, and when you go 3-0, you don't have much of a chance, and then you throw a marginal pitch on 3-0. That's not very good.

"You throw the ball at the middle of the plate. Do you think Jones is swinging on 3-0? No. If he is, let him swing the bat. [Ayala] tried to make a perfect pitch -- outside corner."

---------------------------[/url]

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #2: July 27, 2005, 03:13:33 AM »
excuse my language, but this is utter and complete BULLcrap.

our Offense is HORRIBLE.

if our offense could score more than 2 runs a game, Ayala would not have had to pitch tonight.

Frank is a moron if he can't see that.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #3: July 27, 2005, 03:23:15 AM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
excuse my language, but this is utter and complete BULLcrap.

Yep...I'm still here having the same reaction:   :shock:

CapitolCityGoofball

« Reply #4: July 27, 2005, 08:03:59 AM »
That quote is just more proof that Hall of Fame batter FR has no idea how to manage pitchers.  

FR thinks 8 hits in 35 AB's, 5 men LOB, 2 DP's and 2 runs is enough to win a game - so the pitching staff is allowed 1 RUN PER GAME!?@*$!    What a jerk.  Last time I checked, there were exactly 2 HOF pitchers with ERA's just under 2.00 dating back 100 years!!!!!!    If not for Cordero and Ayala's first half heroics, would the team even be thinking of first place?  The Nats already gave up Ohka and Day for a has-been and a never-was because of FR.   What's next, Ayala for Phil Nevin?  :x

BigRChurchfan

« Reply #5: July 27, 2005, 08:32:31 AM »
guys, I think Frank KNOWS we have the worst offense right now.  His point is 2 runs is about all we can muster at this point, and that should have been enough.  He's being a realist, albeit a pessimistic one.  
Ayala...next time you're in that situation, make him put the ball in play.  You aren't going to strike out A. Jones...and I'd rather see the game end on a hard hit single, then on a bases loaded walk.

hillnat

offense
« Reply #6: July 27, 2005, 09:00:34 AM »
I think Frank may be trying to protect the hitters confidence a little, but if thats the case why not just close your mouth and not say anything.  For the first time this year I am starting to think the new owners ( if and when ) will not bring Frank back.

Diehard_Nationals_Fan

Re: offense
« Reply #7: July 27, 2005, 09:30:06 AM »
Quote from: "hillnat"
I think Frank may be trying to protect the hitters confidence a little, but if thats the case why not just close your mouth and not say anything.  For the first time this year I am starting to think the new owners ( if and when ) will not bring Frank back.

Exactly.  Whats that old saying.... better to remain silent and be THOUGHT an idiot, rather than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt...

FR should have kept his mouth SHUT.  Making comments like he made make him look very very inept and silly.   The bullpen didnt do anything IMHO.  We NEED OFFENCE, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. :evil:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Re: Frank Blames It All On The Bullpen
« Reply #8: July 27, 2005, 11:52:56 AM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
Later Robinson threw up his hands over Ayala's last pitch.

"It was 3-0," he said of the count. "You think [Jones] is swinging 3-0? No. If he is, let him. To me it looked like he was trying to make a perfect pitch on the corner. It was 3-0. Where are you going 3-0?"

Frank Robinson is making excuses to help cover up his mis managing and overuse of his bullpen. The man knows nothing about handling pitchers and any manager who thinks 2 runs and 8 hits are enough to win ball games, had BETTER HAVE at least 4 Bob Gibsons in his rotation, because not even the best hitting teams in the majors this year would lose two thirds of their games. Frank Robinson should be standing among the unemployed

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Re: offense
« Reply #9: July 27, 2005, 11:55:29 AM »
Quote from: "hillnat"

What Frank should do instead, is SHAME them into moving their lazy asses... Too many players are just going through the motions... Better yet, hire someone else to do it and send Frank home.