Author Topic: Nats moving to channel 50  (Read 2957 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Nats moving to channel 50
« Topic Start: January 12, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »
From www.dcrtv.com

Nats Jump From 20 To 50 - 1/12 - The Mid-Atlantic Sports Network and the Nationals have a new over-the-air TV partner - Channel 50/WDCW. Under the multi-year deal, which includes a MASN-sponsored marketing package, Tribune's DC50 will carry a simulcast of 20 Nats' professional baseball games each season, which will also appear on MASN. The Nationals' TV broadcast partner had been Fox-owned Channel 20/WDCA. More at masnsports.com.....

Offline natsfan4evr

Re: Nats moving to channel 50
« Reply #1: January 12, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »
As long as it is on both. Last season I kept getting confused which station it was on, and I would be blacked out of MASN.
This hurt me several times when I DVRed MASN or MASN2, to later see nothing but a black screen.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: January 12, 2009, 02:10:28 PM »
Wasn't 50 the channel that would broadcast birds' games last season?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #3: January 12, 2009, 02:57:29 PM »
Sometimes 50 and sometimes 45.  I remember being at my Mom's in Columbia and not being able to receive 50.  50 is now 50DC.  45 is the Baltiimore equivalent so I imagine that O's will go there.

Offline Natskins

« Reply #4: January 12, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »
Anyone know if MASN HD will be on Verizon Fios this year? Last year it was not, and it was really frustrating. Not looking forward to watching another year of Nats games in standard definition. Ugh. :(

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #5: January 12, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »
Anyone know if MASN HD will be on Verizon Fios this year?

It damned well better be!  :twisted:

Bags

« Reply #6: January 12, 2009, 05:45:35 PM »
Anyone know if MASN HD will be on Verizon Fios this year?

Does this help?  (Check the bottom of the listing after clicking below):

http://masnsports.com/2007/09/find-masn.html

Offline Natskins

« Reply #7: January 12, 2009, 07:43:38 PM »
Does this help?  (Check the bottom of the listing after clicking below):

http://masnsports.com/2007/09/find-masn.html

Interesting, thanks. For MASN HD on Verizon Fios it says "TBD," which I assume means it WILL be on Fios, but they just haven't determined which channel yet. At least, I hope...

Offline eckseid

« Reply #8: January 12, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »
Interesting, thanks. For MASN HD on Verizon Fios it says "TBD," which I assume means it WILL be on Fios, but they just haven't determined which channel yet. At least, I hope...

That TBD has been on there since the beginning of the '08 season. So HOPEFULLY they finally put it on Fios this year.

Offline Natskins

« Reply #9: January 12, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »
That TBD has been on there since the beginning of the '08 season. So HOPEFULLY they finally put it on Fios this year.

Ah geez...that doesn't sound promising at all.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #10: January 12, 2009, 11:07:49 PM »
I also see that MASN is combining their Hot Stove show for the Zeroes and the Nats. Anyone watched it yet?

MASN's Hot Stove Show Returns on December 12
By MASN Staff on December 8, 2008 1:33 PM | Permalink

One hour program analyzes offseason news and views
about the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals

MASN, the local leader in live sports entertainment, will return its popular Hot Stove Show on Friday evenings starting on December 12th live at 7:00 p.m., the day after the conclusion of the MLB Winter Meetings. The one hour program will be available on MASN.

This year, Hot Stove Show will be hosted by MASN's Jim Hunter, Roch Kubatko and Phil Wood. The All Star trio brings decades of broadcasting experience, baseball knowledge and insider information to MASN's exclusive offseason show.

Jim Hunter returns to Hot Stove Show this season as 12 year veteran member of the Orioles broadcast team. During the season, Hunter co-hosts "O's Xtra" and often call games on MASN with Buck Martinez or Jim Palmer. He brings 30 years of diversified broadcasting experience and his extensive knowledge about the Orioles franchise to the program.

Roch Kubatko joined MASNSports.com in August of 2008 to launch his popular School of Roch blog. Kubatko, one of the region's most talented sportswriters, spent twenty-one years with the Baltimore Sun, covering every major sporting event in North America, including the NBA, the NFL, NCAA lacrosse, boxing, the World Series, the CFL Grey Cup and the MLB All-Star games. This is also his twelfth season covering the Orioles.

Phil Wood has decades of experience covering Washington and Baltimore sports teams including the Bullets, Capitals, Nationals, Orioles, Colts and Ravens. Wood is widely considered to be one of the region's brightest baseball historians, offering fans both historical perspective and insight into today's breaking sports news.

The show will complement MASNSports.com's extensive online coverage of both the Orioles and the Nationals including dedicated beat writers, talent and player blogs, up to the minute video clips, series previews, live game blogs and more.

Hot Stove Show will air nearly every week up until the beginning of spring training on February 20th.

Dates include:

Friday, December 12
Friday, December 19
Friday, January 2, 2009
Friday, January 9
Friday, January 16
Friday, January 23
Friday, January 30
Friday, February 6
Friday, February 13
Friday, February 20

Categories
News Releases MASN

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #11: January 13, 2009, 08:32:17 AM »
From the Washington Times:
"The new arrangement does not include a rights fee for games, but includes a marketing arrangement in which MASN will promote the DC50 games in on-air and in-game advertising throughout the season. MASN is expected to spend in the low six-figures to help market the games."

If this is right, MASN is not charging a fee for the broadcast rights for the 20 games and will heavily marketing the games to be aired on channel 50 and in exchange DC50 agreed to promote the Nats on their station.  Another article made a mention of the Nats paying for some of the marketing, so I wonder if Angelos is supplying the games and Lerner is covering the marketing expense.

I'm kind of bummed that they will be showing Sunday games instead of Friday nights, Bangkok Blues doesn't get MASN and I like going there on Friday nights to watch the game, eat some Thai, and listen to the band.

Offline blue911

« Reply #12: January 13, 2009, 08:40:59 AM »
^ Does 6 figures include the decimal?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #13: January 13, 2009, 08:59:55 AM »
MASN, the local leader in live sports entertainment,

You know?  Whenever I see a statement like this one in a press release offered by the company stated, I stop reading.  It comes across like a carnie ballyhooing customers to come see the bearded lady and other mysterious freaks of nature, "ALL REALLY A-LIVE!"  Ugh.

I'm really glad I don't receive MASN so I don't have to give them the ratings.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #14: January 13, 2009, 04:22:39 PM »
Rumor is there will be at least 100 nats games in HD this year.  I like that!!!  :worship:

Last year was the new stadium, this year it's more HD games as the key offseason pickup  8)  (sorry i had to)  In all seriousness that's very good to see.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #15: January 13, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »
Rumor is there will be at least 100 nats games in HD this year.  I like that!!!  :worship:

Last year was the new stadium, this year it's more HD games as the key offseason pickup  8)  (sorry i had to)  In all seriousness that's very good to see.
Yes it is. Excellent. Glad to know that the games on CW-50 will also be shown on MASN or MASN2 as well. Many times last year the game would just be shown on Ch. 20 and then the post game show would be nowhere to found on either channel.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #16: January 13, 2009, 04:30:25 PM »
Yes it is. Excellent. Glad to know that the games on CW-50 will also be shown on MASN or MASN2 as well. Many times last year the game would just be shown on Ch. 20 and then the post game show would be nowhere to found on either channel.

less confusing this way, i agree.

Offline Natskins

« Reply #17: January 13, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
Rumor is there will be at least 100 nats games in HD this year. 

Wow, where'd you see that? I'm pretty sure I read that there would only be 40 HD games, but what I read may have been outdated.

Regardless, if they don't put MASN HD on Verizon Fios, it won't help me any. The standard-def MASN broadcasts are nearly unwatchable. And they wonder why no one watched them last year.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #18: January 13, 2009, 04:45:18 PM »
my bad natskins it's on nats journal

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/01/the_nats_on_tv.html?wprss=nationalsjournal

* At least 100 of those games will be shown in HD. (Last year, only 40 were.)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #19: January 13, 2009, 04:47:51 PM »
The standard-def MASN broadcasts Nationals are nearly unwatchable. And they wonder why no one watched them last year.

Fixed.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #20: January 13, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »
At least 100 of those games will be shown in HD.

50 Nats games and 50 O's games.

Offline Natskins

« Reply #21: January 13, 2009, 05:13:26 PM »
50 Nats games and 50 O's games.

According to Chico's entry in Nats Journal, a full 100+ Nats games will be shown in HD.

But if they don't put the HD games on Fios I'll revolt.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #22: January 13, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
According to Chico's entry in Nats Journal, a full 100+ Nats games will be shown in HD.

Even better!  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Natskins

« Reply #23: January 13, 2009, 05:40:53 PM »
Dammit. I just called Verizon Fios, and the customer service person I spoke to said he sees nothing to indicate that Fios will begin carrying MASN HD any time soon.

So basically, MASN could show all 162 games in HD, and I wouldn't be able to see a single one of them. This is really aggravating.

Anyone else have Verizon Fios? If so, you're in the same boat as me. We should try to apply some pressure on them. Not sure that it'll do any good, but damn this is frustrating.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #24: January 13, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »
I have Fios but I don't really care about HD. As long as I get to see the games it does not matter to me. Not long ago a lot of people couldn't even see the games so nagging about that would make me feel petty (I was lucky to have MASN since April 2005). There was a time when you were lucky to see 3 baseball games a week. Now you can see a couple of ballgames a day so it's all good.