Author Topic: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread  (Read 32742 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread
« Reply #325: July 08, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »
And if David Wright is still hitting over 300 and the Mets aren't a total disaster next season?  My point is he's a very talented player but he's not going to win in a popularity contest with the Noo York Mess third baseman. 

I know this might be unpopular here but David Wright > Ryan Zimmerman.

When you put it that way, it makes a lot more sense. Not that I totally agree, but I see where you are coming from. Wright looks to be the better hitter, but I don't know that he's any better defensively than Zimmy. Anyway you look at it, piss on the All-Star Game and just win us games that count Zimmy!

Offline Coladar

« Reply #326: July 08, 2012, 09:13:06 AM »
When you put it that way, it makes a lot more sense. Not that I totally agree, but I see where you are coming from. Wright looks to be the better hitter, but I don't know that he's any better defensively than Zimmy. Anyway you look at it, piss on the All-Star Game and just win us games that count Zimmy!

And Wright can't explain away the fact he isn't even making it as a backup. He made the final five once out of the six years. Wright is far from the only thing keeping him from the ASG.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #327: July 08, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »
That is mind blowing when you think about it. Seven years he was eligible. Six he didn't make it. This is a totally different thread, so post replies to some old RZ thread. But since I'm replying to your post, I will ask here: Does Zimmerman even have a shot at making the HOF if it continues as is? He seemed like a lock to be the first Nat. But I don't buy, trivial as the ASG is, a guy that makes it only once or twice in his career has a shot in hell at the HOF. Obviously if we make post season frequently, that changes things. But if it continues as is, no post season, one more ASG the next 7 years, no postseason heroics, has anyone ever been elected on so little?

But yeah, that 6 out of 7 is mind blowing.

As things are now he has a small chance of making the All-Star team, he has the signature moments (the walk-offs), and he was the best player on his team for a number of years, but injuries are keeping his numbers down.  The deciding factor will likely be how he plays in the post-season.

Another concern is his defensive range, I'd know that there are stats that measure range and at some point I'll get around to looking them up, but to my eye he's not getting to as many balls as he used to.  Once he catches the ball he's as spectacular as ever in turning and throwing to first, but there are too many balls getting by up the line.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #328: July 08, 2012, 09:20:22 AM »
.....  but to my eye he's not getting to as many balls as he used to.  Once he catches the ball he's as spectacular as ever in turning and throwing to first, but there are too many balls getting by up the line.

I thought it was only me.   I feel his range has diminished, especially this year.   I know he's hurt so I'm hoping he'll get back to "normal" next year.    But man, the one's he gets to can be gems.

On topic:    Sorry Desmond couldn't make the trip to KC.   It says a lot about the guy to rest up for the 2nd half run than go to the ASG.    I like his attitude.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #329: July 08, 2012, 10:02:31 AM »
It's not that I don't think he's a great player, because he is, I just don't see him beating out David Wright now that we have multiple players going to the ASG.

He can still go to the ASG even if he doesn't beat out Wright.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #330: July 08, 2012, 10:39:55 AM »
That is mind blowing when you think about it. Seven years he was eligible. Six he didn't make it. This is a totally different thread, so post replies to some old RZ thread. But since I'm replying to your post, I will ask here: Does Zimmerman even have a shot at making the HOF if it continues as is? He seemed like a lock to be the first Nat. But I don't buy, trivial as the ASG is, a guy that makes it only once or twice in his career has a shot in hell at the HOF. Obviously if we make post season frequently, that changes things. But if it continues as is, no post season, one more ASG the next 7 years, no postseason heroics, has anyone ever been elected on so little?

But yeah, that 6 out of 7 is mind blowing.

ASG corresponds to winning and fan popularity (i.e. large market)- I'm not sure how much bearing it should have on HOF going forward

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #331: July 08, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »
If Zim can stay healthy he'll make another all star game.  he may never be voted a starter unless the DC fanbase grows significantly (which it could if they keep winning...).  He's been a little waylaid because a good number of his injuries have come early in the year.  If he had been healthy all year, I think he'd have been on this year's roster, but he wasn't and then when he came back, he struggled.  Sandoval, Wright and Zim should be regulars on that roster for the next 5 years.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #332: July 08, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »
The Nats fanbase becomes more assclownish by the day.

Offline 24 Nats

« Reply #333: July 08, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »
The Nats fanbase become more assclownish by the day.

so says the king.

Offline natspride

« Reply #334: July 08, 2012, 12:06:39 PM »

Another concern is his defensive range, I'd know that there are stats that measure range and at some point I'll get around to looking them up, but to my eye he's not getting to as many balls as he used to.  Once he catches the ball he's as spectacular as ever in turning and throwing to first, but there are too many balls getting by up the line.

Ryan is currently 5th among NL 3B as far as range per game.

He's also 4th in fielding percentage at his position.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2012-fielding-leaders.shtml

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #335: July 08, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »
Who's going to name him when there are other more viable 3B options in tne NL?  Take off the homer glasses.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #336: July 08, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
Who's going to name him when there are other more viable 3B options in tne NL?  Take off the homer glasses.

If he's stays healthy, there isn't a more viable candidate.  There are a couple that might be are as viable, but not more.  His health took him out of the conversation this year.

His competition for it will be Wright, Sandoval, Ramirez and Freese over the next 5 years or so, assuming he stays healthy.  They're not all going to be All-Stars every year.  If he stays healthy he'll get his fair share.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #337: July 08, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »
And last year and the year before.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #338: July 08, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »
And last year and the year before.

What about 'em?  He missed 6 weeks in the first half.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #339: July 10, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »
Quote from: tomterp on July 08, 2012, 03:07:37 PM
Kilgore reported last week that Desmond had changed his approach a bit to go opposite field more.
Ian Desmond can hit opposite-field home runs now, too

By Adam Kilgore

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/ian-desmond-can-hit-opposite-field-home-runs-now-too/2012/07/06/gJQA8E7ZSW_blog.html

(Alex Brandon - AP) Ian Desmond had no explanation. Before last week, he had never hit an opposite-field home run in his major league career and, as far as he could recall, he had only hit one in five minor league seasons. Then he hit one June 28 in Colorado. Last night, seven days later, he blasted another homer to right field off Matt Cain. “I don’t know,” Desmond said. “I wish I did know. I’d do it more often.”

The Nationals believe Desmond can do it more often. At 26, his power has blossomed this year – he has 15 home runs, which puts him on pace for 30. As the rest of his power stroke has come, opposite field homers could become more a part of Desmond’s game.  “You watch him during batting practice,” first baseman Adam LaRoche said. “You watch what he can do, it’s unbelievable the way he can drive the ball. He just hit an oppo home run the other day. He said, ‘I think that’s the first opposite-field home run I’ve ever hit in pro ball.’ I said, ‘With that swing, you ought to hit half your home runs the other way.’ He’s got some unbelievable raw pop.”

When Davey Johnson took over last season, he immediately started saying Desmond too often tried to hit singles to the opposite field rather than using his power. He wanted Desmond to ditch his inside-out approach.  “Before, he was taking balls and trying to guide it to right field,” Johnson said. “Even inside pitches, he was trying to serve it over there. He understands dropping the head on it, with a little something on it, and hitting it hard where it’s pitched. That’s the kind of hitter he is.

“The year I hit 43, I probably hit eight home runs to right field. But I wasn’t turning inside-out on them. Those were balls away that I put the hammer on. But he’s got more power than I had.

Finally, this explains the dramatic rise in Ian Desmond's power hitting in 2012.  I heard about it in spring training and drafted Desmond, albeit late in the WNFF Fantasy league draft.  But I didn't know how it happened. 

It's NOT Rick Eckstein, (no matter how much DaveyJohnson wants to support Rick.)  DaveyJohnson was the one who changed Desmond's plate approach.  It didn't improve until Davey arrived as manager.  Hanging around the Nationals' spring trainings in prior seasons didn't give Davey enough clout to get Ian's attention back then.  Desmond's OBP in 2011 rose from .266 to .330 that year, after Davey arrived.

Offline RL04

« Reply #340: July 12, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »

not going to win in a popularity contest with ...

I was all set to rail against MdS but it turns out you changed the spelling in his quote.
Having one a**hole is enough.
Cut that sh*t out.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #341: July 12, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »

I was all set to rail against MdS but it turns out you changed the spelling in his quote.

Must be taking lessons from the gutless King of the Ninja edit Galah.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #342: July 12, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »
There were edits to MDS's post after Terp had quoted it.  Not Terp's fault.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #343: July 12, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »
ASG corresponds to winning and fan popularity (i.e. large market)- I'm not sure how much bearing it should have on HOF going forward

It corresponds, because winning and fan popularity determines starters, but the other selections are from the players and manager - it should be roughly reflective of the top few players at the position (with some notable exceptions - Furcal this year, etc.)  Maybe it shouldn't correspond, but I think a poll of the BBWAA voters would probably show that they think AS appearances relate.  I think it hurts his chances - he needs to make the game enough times that he's a recognized "All-Star." He's going to continue to be hurt by Wright (if he stays in the league), Panda (until he eats his way off the position), and Hanley. 

What hurts his chances for HOF-dom more, though is that his overall numbers, while good, don't scream "HOF" yet.  He's going to need to have a seriously long career at his current levels to get into the aggregator levels and maintain his defensive prowess.  I've thought for a long time that the Mike Schmidt/Brooks comparisons were unfair to Zim.  His comps, I think, are more like Scott Rolen and Matt Williams.  That's nothing to sneeze at - Rolen and Williams were cornerstone players and great additions, but they're far more borderline HOF'ers. 

P.S. on topic - I appreciate Ian Desmond now more than I ever did.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #344: July 12, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »
There were edits to MDS's post after Terp had quoted it.  Not Terp's fault.

Thanks... I had no idea what he was talking about :lol:

Offline blue911

« Reply #345: July 12, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
Desmond needs to put in two good halfs in the same year

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #346: July 13, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »
It corresponds, because winning and fan popularity determines starters, but the other selections are from the players and manager - it should be roughly reflective of the top few players at the position (with some notable exceptions - Furcal this year, etc.)  Maybe it shouldn't correspond, but I think a poll of the BBWAA voters would probably show that they think AS appearances relate.  I think it hurts his chances - he needs to make the game enough times that he's a recognized "All-Star." He's going to continue to be hurt by Wright (if he stays in the league), Panda (until he eats his way off the position), and Hanley. 

What hurts his chances for HOF-dom more, though is that his overall numbers, while good, don't scream "HOF" yet.  He's going to need to have a seriously long career at his current levels to get into the aggregator levels and maintain his defensive prowess.  I've thought for a long time that the Mike Schmidt/Brooks comparisons were unfair to Zim.  His comps, I think, are more like Scott Rolen and Matt Williams.  That's nothing to sneeze at - Rolen and Williams were cornerstone players and great additions, but they're far more borderline HOF'ers. 

P.S. on topic - I appreciate Ian Desmond now more than I ever did.

Rolen is a HOF'er. If he can put up a career like his he deserves to go (Jim Rice made it after all).

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #347: July 13, 2012, 12:58:40 PM »

Having one a**hole is enough.
Cut that sh*t out.

Have a sense of humor.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #348: July 13, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »
Aren't Zim's lack of all-star appearances due to him being a mediocre hitter in the first half including a .243/.301/.389 mark in June when all-star voting heats up?

If he put up a .900 career OPS in May and June rather than July and August, he'd probably go to more all-star games.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #349: July 13, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »

so says the king.

Whoever you are...you are crap on Linty's shoe.