Author Topic: Nationals vs Padres, Game 1 Postgame Discussion  (Read 1901 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

That game just sucked.  Can't believe I'm going again tomorrow.  
Have you ever seen the movie "The Rookie", when Dennis Quaid's all bummin' about being away from his family, he's stuck in the minors and his kids need help with their homework.  He has an epiphany, don't remember how he got there, but he ends up watching a little league game in a kinda creepy sorta way.  Well the next day he comes in the locker room, walks up to the young stud, Brooks and says: "Brooksie, you know what we get to do today?"  Brooks looks at him quizically and Quaid says "We get to play baseball".

Get over the fact the team sucks.  Go and enjoy the game.  Stop taking it so seriously.  You get to go to a Major League Baseball game.  Don't take that for granted.  

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Nationals vs Padres, Game 1 Postgame Discussion
« Reply #1: July 25, 2009, 07:59:56 AM »
-40  :hang:

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #2: July 25, 2009, 08:25:29 AM »
Have you ever seen the movie "The Rookie", when Dennis Quaid's all bummin' about being away from his family, he's stuck in the minors and his kids need help with their homework.  He has an epiphany, don't remember how he got there, but he ends up watching a little league game in a kinda creepy sorta way.  Well the next day he comes in the locker room, walks up to the young stud, Brooks and says: "Brooksie, you know what we get to do today?"  Brooks looks at him quizically and Quaid says "We get to play baseball".

Get over the fact the team sucks.  Go and enjoy the game.  Stop taking it so seriously.  You get to go to a Major League Baseball game.  Don't take that for granted. 

You're not wrong, it's a great way to spend an evening and I get to go to my 30th game tonight and I look forward to every game, and KNOW we're gonna win, but last night WAS painful.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #3: July 25, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »
Have you ever seen the movie "The Rookie", when Dennis Quaid's all bummin' about being away from his family, he's stuck in the minors and his kids need help with their homework.  He has an epiphany, don't remember how he got there, but he ends up watching a little league game in a kinda creepy sorta way.  Well the next day he comes in the locker room, walks up to the young stud, Brooks and says: "Brooksie, you know what we get to do today?"  Brooks looks at him quizically and Quaid says "We get to play baseball".

Get over the fact the team sucks.  Go and enjoy the game.  Stop taking it so seriously.  You get to go to a Major League Baseball game.  Don't take that for granted.  
Oh please.  There isn't enough ooey gooey bullcrap in the world to make you forget how much this team sucks.  Baseball is fun, as long as it's competitive.

I could probably go to a Southern Maryland Blue Crabs game and see a competitive product, so this whole notion of being thankful to have baseball is a crock.

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: July 25, 2009, 11:14:10 AM »
Oh please.  There isn't enough ooey gooey bullcrap in the world to make you forget how much this team sucks.  Baseball is fun, as long as it's competitive.

I could probably go to a Southern Maryland Blue Crabs game and see a competitive product, so this whole notion of being thankful to have baseball is a crock.

Based on anecdotal evidence, I'd say that most people only care about their cell phone coverage.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #5: July 25, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
Oh please.  There isn't enough ooey gooey bullcrap in the world to make you forget how much this team sucks.  Baseball is fun, as long as it's competitive.
Guys, there isn't enough ooey gooey bullcrap in the world to make you forget that DPM Omaha and I are lucky to catch one or two major league ballgames a year. And if we're lucky, what does that make you? Put this in perspective. Last time I went to a Nats game, these are the pitchers I got to see: Odalis Perez, Mike O'Connor, Joel Hanrahan, and Jesus Colome. Colome gave up the game-winning hit with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, wiping out a two-run Nationals lead. And you know what? I ENJOYED IT.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #6: July 25, 2009, 11:29:12 AM »
:rofl: I'm really surprised there aren't more cell phone ads at Nats Park.  Stan could get prime dollar.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #7: July 25, 2009, 11:31:03 AM »
Guys, there isn't enough ooey gooey bullcrap in the world to make you forget that DPM Omaha and I are lucky to catch one or two major league ballgames a year. And if we're lucky, what does that make you? Put this in perspective. Last time I went to a Nats game, these are the pitchers I got to see: Odalis Perez, Mike O'Connor, Joel Hanrahan, and Jesus Colome. Colome gave up the game-winning hit with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, wiping out a two-run Nationals lead. And you know what? I ENJOYED IT.
So be an Astros fan. :icon_mrgreen:

I understand where the two of you are coming from, but for those of us who DO live in the area, it can be frustrating.

My last game was CERTAINLY not enjoyable.  Does choking against the Cubs while their thousands upon thousands of fans (who outnumbered Nats fans by something like a 3:1 ratio) sound enjoyable to you?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: July 25, 2009, 12:36:51 PM »

I understand where the two of you are coming from, but for those of us who DO live in the area, it can be frustrating.

My last game was CERTAINLY not enjoyable.  Does choking against the Cubs while their thousands upon thousands of fans (who outnumbered Nats fans by something like a 3:1 ratio) sound enjoyable to you?
I'm a Nebraska basketball season ticket holder.  I've lived through that every year when Kansas comes to town.  I understand how that is.  And I understand how frustrating it can be to watch your team flounder as it has.  Remember, I'm a Nebraska basketball fan, we're one of three BCS conference teams that have never won a single NCAA tournament game.  Not one!  I watch the Nats almost every night.  I know it's frustrating.  I'm frustrated.  But don't lose sight of the privilege it is to get to go to games like this as often as you do.  Just try and enjoy the game for what it is, don't get so emotionally invested in it that it ruins your mood and that of those around you.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #9: July 25, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
I think you guys are artificially enhancing this game thread to prevent it from being the shortest of the season :P

Offline DPMOmaha

Maybe it's time for the lock then...

Offline sportsfan882

I'm a Nebraska basketball season ticket holder.  I've lived through that every year when Kansas comes to town.  I understand how that is.  And I understand how frustrating it can be to watch your team flounder as it has.  Remember, I'm a Nebraska basketball fan, we're one of three BCS conference teams that have never won a single NCAA tournament game.  Not one!  I watch the Nats almost every night.  I know it's frustrating.  I'm frustrated.  But don't lose sight of the privilege it is to get to go to games like this as often as you do.  Just try and enjoy the game for what it is, don't get so emotionally invested in it that it ruins your mood and that of those around you.
hell, why even root for the team at all then? if we are happy and accepting to this losing why should the Lerners ever build a winner? They have no incentive to.

Offline DPMOmaha

hell, why even root for the team at all then? if we are happy and accepting to this losing why should the Lerners ever build a winner? They have no incentive to.
Better yet, don't go at all.  That's the best message you can send.  I'm just saying, don't make it the most important thing in your life.

Don't misconstrue that to mean I don't care.  I do.  I want to see my teams win in the worst way, especially while the games going on, but I've also learned how to move on.  Some on here haven't yet.  Learn to do that, and it makes a season like this, slightly more manageable. 

There are things far greater in this life than how a game turns out.  I want the team to win, badly.  Don't get me wrong about that.  I'm just unwilling to let the outcome of a game, any game, to dictate the rest my week, or day or even hour. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Oh please.  There isn't enough ooey gooey bullcrap in the world to make you forget how much this team sucks.  Baseball is fun, as long as it's competitive.

QFT

:clap:

Offline The Chief

:clap:

Don't encourage him.  That's not what they were saying or what anyone here is advocating and you know it.

Offline The Chief

None of this had anything at all to do with the game so I split it off.

Offline sportsfan882

Better yet, don't go at all.  That's the best message you can send.  I'm just saying, don't make it the most important thing in your life.

Don't misconstrue that to mean I don't care.  I do.  I want to see my teams win in the worst way, especially while the games going on, but I've also learned how to move on.  Some on here haven't yet.  Learn to do that, and it makes a season like this, slightly more manageable. 

There are things far greater in this life than how a game turns out.  I want the team to win, badly.  Don't get me wrong about that.  I'm just unwilling to let the outcome of a game, any game, to dictate the rest my week, or day or even hour. 
This team sucking doesn't ruin anything for me. I don't even get mad anymore and haven't since really early in the season. I use this board to vent my frustrations about the team.

Still, that doesn't mean I don't care. I care as much as anybody about this team. I want to win. If you just care about watching baseball and not win/losses I suggest you become an Orioles or Pirates fan. This is Major League Baseball. Winning is everything.

Offline DPMOmaha

No, I think you're misunderstanding me.  I do care about whether or not they win, very much.  I'm just not going to let the outcome of the game determine how the rest of my day/life turns out. 

Guys, there isn't enough ooey gooey bullcrap in the world to make you forget that DPM Omaha and I are lucky to catch one or two major league ballgames a year. And if we're lucky, what does that make you? Put this in perspective.

I drive exactly 324 miles every time I go see a game. Anyone who thinks I am not having a good time or shouldn't have a good time by going to a game (win or lose) needs to go freak themselves.

Have you ever seen the movie "The Rookie", when Dennis Quaid's all bummin' about being away from his family, he's stuck in the minors and his kids need help with their homework.  He has an epiphany, don't remember how he got there, but he ends up watching a little league game in a kinda creepy sorta way.  Well the next day he comes in the locker room, walks up to the young stud, Brooks and says: "Brooksie, you know what we get to do today?"  Brooks looks at him quizically and Quaid says "We get to play baseball".

Great movie. Underrated when it comes to baseball movies, IMO.

Offline houston-nat

My last game was CERTAINLY not enjoyable.  Does choking against the Cubs while their thousands upon thousands of fans (who outnumbered Nats fans by something like a 3:1 ratio) sound enjoyable to you?
My last game was choking against the Astros, in Houston, with all the drunk yahoos telling Austin Kearns to go have sex with his uncle (not necessarily in those words). Setting aside the fact that most people on this forum probably agree by now, ...

I drive exactly 324 miles every time I go see a game. Anyone who thinks I am not having a good time or shouldn't have a good time by going to a game (win or lose) needs to go freak themselves.
This is exactly the right sentiment. Games are entertainment. Win or lose.

Maybe what's happening is I'm becoming a baseball fan first and a Nationals fan second. You know, where the love of the game means you can just tune in and enjoy what happens. I like to watch our guys pitch. I like the excitement. I like the strategy. If I like all the elements of baseball that make it such a joy more than the elements of the Nationals that make them such a steaming heap of elephant dung, then all that really means is that I'm thankful for what I have. (For what it's worth, I have noticed that watching the Nats lose is MUCH more bearable than Gamedaying the Nats lose. In Gameday there's a sense of hopelessness; I dwell on the fact that we're losing. On TV, I just watch the baseball happen, and I'm happy because there's baseball.)

We're here to have a good time. The Lerners, Rigglemans, and Belliards of the world might try to keep us from having one. But it's our right.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to watch the Rays-Jays game.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Oh, I enjoy myself every game I go to...but the facts about last night speak for themselves.  Regardless of whether one loves or hates Chico's writing, his gamer had this chestnut:

"In a sense, this game offered no stunning boneheaded plays, no lowlights for the ages. The futility was so complete, so expansive, that it lacked a central point."

Ha.

There are some around here who are dismissive of the "just happy to have baseball back after 300 years" camp, but I don't think that being "just happy" necessarily grants permanent immunity to the team's ownership and management...I'll be a fan and go to games even if they went 0-162, but I'd be a pissed fan.  I guess this is why spectator sports and mental illness are so closely correlated.     

Oh, I enjoy myself every game I go to...but the facts about last night speak for themselves.  Regardless of whether one loves or hates Chico's writing, his gamer had this chestnut:

"In a sense, this game offered no stunning boneheaded plays, no lowlights for the ages. The futility was so complete, so expansive, that it lacked a central point."

Ha.

There are some around here who are dismissive of the "just happy to have baseball back after 300 years" camp, but I don't think that being "just happy" necessarily grants permanent immunity to the team's ownership and management...I'll be a fan and go to games even if they went 0-162, but I'd be a pissed fan.  I guess this is why spectator sports and mental illness are so closely correlated.    

I like Chico's account of Dunn bungling around in the outfield for a ball like a child (or something to that effect). The images that come to mind are hilarious. :lol: and depressing :( .

And I don't get any sense that anyone is happy with how the team has done this season. It's just we all have different ways of dealing with it.

Offline blue911

I would personally recommend large quantities of alcohol. About two drinks Adam Dunn looks like a very attractive blond, he looks like a competent leftfielder.

I would personally recommend large quantities of alcohol. About two drinks Adam Dunn looks like a very attractive blond, he looks like a competent leftfielder.

Two to do that? :shock:

Lightweight. ;)

Offline blue911

Two to do that? :shock:

Lightweight. ;)

I'll trade you livers even up, no questions asked.  :glug: