Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158083 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2200: May 07, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »
What is the easy way?

Mr. Beer. It comes as a kit. Couldn't be simplier.

http://www.mrbeerfans.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.MrBeerFAQ

Online blue911

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2202: May 07, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
Be careful, magic hat is like a gateway drug- a couple of years from now, you'll be downing imperial IPAs opining on chinook hops

Now that you mention it, #9 was one of the first craft beers I liked a lot. Haven't drank it in a while though

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2203: May 07, 2012, 11:03:13 PM »
Mr. Beer. It comes as a kit. Couldn't be simplier.

http://www.mrbeerfans.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.MrBeerFAQ

It is simple but Mr. Beer doesn't have a good reputation for making good beer.

If you think you might be interested in brewing, find someone to brew with that already brews, and give it a try.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2204: May 07, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »
I am told that reputation is also based on people not following 2-2-2 because their instruction manual suggests it can be done more quickly. I am not at the stage to have any personal experience to cite yet. 

Honestly I got the entire kit for less than twenty bucks with everything for a single batch thanks to a sale. There is nothing saying I havce to use their mixes going forward and if I feel need for a five gallen setup, I can hit the kitchen wholesaler and buy stuff.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2205: May 08, 2012, 06:33:51 AM »
I am told that reputation is also based on people not following 2-2-2 because their instruction manual suggests it can be done more quickly. I am not at the stage to have any personal experience to cite yet. 

Honestly I got the entire kit for less than twenty bucks with everything for a single batch thanks to a sale. There is nothing saying I havce to use their mixes going forward and if I feel need for a five gallen setup, I can hit the kitchen wholesaler and buy stuff.

I haven't tried it either but I looked into buying one and the comments I read were that the kit is fine but that you need to get the better mixes and that proper cleaning between batches is critical.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2206: May 08, 2012, 07:16:01 AM »
Does the Shenandoah Brewing Company (off Edsall Rd in Alexandria) still let people buy supplies and brew there ?

link=topic=7511.msg1011377#msg1011377 date=1336446193]
If you think you might be interested in brewing, find someone to brew with that already brews, and give it a try.
[/quote]

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2207: May 09, 2012, 10:10:55 AM »
I haven't tried it either but I looked into buying one and the comments I read were that the kit is fine but that you need to get the better mixes and that proper cleaning between batches is critical.
Truth.

Most of the time spent brewing is spent waiting (for something to boil, to cool down, to ferment, to ferment again) or cleaning something (cleaning the brewing stuff, cleaning the fermentation vessels, cleaning the bottling set up, cleaning bottles, cleaning up after cleaning everything)...

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2208: May 10, 2012, 02:19:25 AM »
Sounds like Flying Dog is having some issues tonight.  I've heard a couple of calls go our over the police scanner now, must be a pretty bad incident.  Something about an active hazmat incident and a visible ammonia cloud.  What would ammonia be used for?  Refrigerant?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2209: May 10, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »
Sounds like Flying Dog is having some issues tonight.  I've heard a couple of calls go our over the police scanner now, must be a pretty bad incident.  Something about an active hazmat incident and a visible ammonia cloud.  What would ammonia be used for?  Refrigerant?

My guess would be a refrigerant - or they have switched over to making "pink slime."

Ammonia would not be an ingredient, and industrially, maybe it is used as a cleanser. Most breweries would be using a sanitizer that is more neutral and rinses cleanly, then something like ammonia which can be very 'vaporous'.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/displayUpdate.htm?StoryID=135566

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2210: May 10, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »

Never heard of ammonia in that context, but when I was living in Puerto Rico in the 1970's there were rumours that some beers (notably Rheingold and the old Brooklyn-brewed Schaefer - still much missed) sent from NYC-area breweries to Puerto Rico contained formaldehyde as a preservative (didn't notice any in the taste, though).

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2211: May 10, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »

I emailed Flying Dog via their website, the PR Person, Erin Miles just emailed me back:
Thanks for reaching out to us. The ammonia leak was related to refrigeration system here at the brewery, which is not a part of the actual brewing process.

The appropriate monitors went off right away and was quickly controlled by our fine Frederick County Fire Department.

If you have any other questions, definitely let me know.

Cheers!

Erin

---
Erin Biles
Public Relations Manager

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2212: May 10, 2012, 06:14:52 PM »
I'm so smart :mg:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2213: June 09, 2012, 08:10:22 AM »
Drank a few of these last night, they're OK but not special enough to justify the price, I got them at the German Gourmet and wanted to try something I hadn't had before.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2214: June 09, 2012, 08:14:47 AM »
I don't really find any German beers to be very special - purity laws make sure that as long as they aren't skunked, they're good, but they also mean they can't be creative or special

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2215: June 09, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »
Agree - there are so many good American beers now with much more variety than the German beers

I don't really find any German beers to be very special - purity laws make sure that as long as they aren't skunked, they're good, but they also mean they can't be creative or special

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2216: June 10, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »
Paulaner heffeweizen is the best breakfast beer.  A little foamy to pour on the road, so best pull over into a park and make all the bony Tenleytown second wives scurry away with their jack russells as you pour a road soda.

Agree - there are so many good American beers now with much more variety than the German beers

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2217: June 13, 2012, 07:29:01 AM »
The Dogfish Alehouse at 7Corners and Fairfax is now selling growlers.  They will refill any growlers as well

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2218: June 13, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »
i always wondered if places would refill any growler. why not? you are paying for the beer. if you were really into growler beer, would you really have to have one from every brewery? maybe you could have a blank one

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #2219: June 13, 2012, 10:04:17 AM »
The Dogfish Alehouse at 7Corners and Fairfax is now selling growlers.  They will refill any growlers as well

The one in Gaithersburg didn't about three months ago.  Pissed me off.

On another note, here is a pic of a Baltic Porter I brewed in January 2011.  Had the final pints of it just this past Monday.  With out a doubt the best beer I have brewed to date.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2220: June 13, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
that looks so good- how do you get it to keep so long? I just had to pour the last of my Christmas batch due to skunkiness

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #2221: June 13, 2012, 10:21:07 AM »
It was a high ABV beer at about 8%.  I kegged it originally and then filled a few flip tops.  Stored in a dark corner of the basement and basically forgot about them.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2222: June 13, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »
We need to gather a list of the WNFF Homebrewers and have a brew swap.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2223: June 13, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »
Initially, having a policy of only refilling the establishment's growlers may have been based in the idea of increasing brand loyalty.  But as soon as a couple of places broke away from that policy, most brewers realized it was better not to require the glass have been from their establishment

i always wondered if places would refill any growler. why not? you are paying for the beer. if you were really into growler beer, would you really have to have one from every brewery? maybe you could have a blank one

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2224: June 13, 2012, 12:09:45 PM »
Initially, having a policy of only refilling the establishment's growlers may have been based in the idea of increasing brand loyalty.  But as soon as a couple of places broke away from that policy, most brewers realized it was better not to require the glass have been from their establishment

I had a growler filled at Rockbottom last summer. They only fill their own growlers. So, the bartender put a Rockbottom sticker on it.