Author Topic: playoff tickets for non-season ticket holders  (Read 2355 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
playoff tickets for non-season ticket holders
« Topic Start: August 06, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
So what can one realistically expect to spend for a 400-level seat this October?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Re: playoff tickets for non-season ticket holders
« Reply #1: August 06, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
So what can one realistically expect to spend for a 400-level seat this October?

Not sure - sorry I can't help.   But they want $740 (plus $20 processing) for my two seats in 222, which are - like many of the 400-level seats - priced at $10 normally.  That's for everything up to the WS, which is 9 games by their calculations (one-game playoff, wildcard, 3 games for LDS and 4 games for LCS).  That works out to just over $41 per ticket.  That should at least give you some guidance.  Gotta imagine StubHub tickets will be marked up tremendously...

Offline Knight

« Reply #2: August 06, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »
Any playoff games I get to go to I'll be going alone.  I didn't know if I'd be able to have enough money to go to many.  But I do have $654 set aside for post season.   I am not a season ticket holder.  But if we make it, I should be able to get in to some it looks like! Yeah for me!  Though I"m not willing to blow it all on one ticket!

Offline RL04

« Reply #3: August 12, 2012, 11:05:47 AM »
they want $740 (plus $20 processing) for my two seats in 222,  That's for everything up to the WS, which is 9 games by their calculations

HUH!?   They're making you buy tix for every single home game?   That sucks.    Though I'm sure you'll be able to sell them pretty easily on Stub Hub.

So, i guess, there is no chance (if we make the playoffs) that they're going to seel single game tickets to non STH.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #4: August 12, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »

So, i guess, there is no chance (if we make the playoffs) that they're going to seel single game tickets to non STH.

Slim chance. After the strips there is a season ticket holder presale so it is remotely possible a few tickets might make direct public sale but I doubt it.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: August 12, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »

i think youll be able to find tickets for under 50 bucks on stubhub

to try to gauge fan interest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/nats-tv-ratings-on-masn-up-53-percent/2012/06/26/gJQAbuhv4V_blog.html

nats were getting about a 2.2 tv rating in june. caps were getting about 1.8 in recent years. nats might have had some increase since the season has progressed. also they play every day so maybe not everybody watches every game and if they played half the number of games, the audience might be more concentrated on each game.

you could probably get into a caps playoff game for 50-70 bucks if it was against a team without large traveling support, like the lightning.

if that price is reflective of fan interest divided by number of seats in the stadium, the nats would have to have double the fan interest since their stadium is twice as large.  is the nats concentrated tv rating 3.6 (double the caps)? probably not that high, but it could be considerably larger than 2.2.  even if the fan interest per seating capacity was equal the cheapest nats ticket should be cheaper than the cheapest caps ticket because it is a much worse seat.

then throw in the possibility of an 8:20 start on a weeknight for a game that could last 3.5 hours and a lot of people will just stay home

Offline Natsfan37

« Reply #6: August 12, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
^^^I disagree.  In the door cheapest prices for early round games will be $90-$110 on the secondary market.  World Series all bets are off. Darren Rovell was tweeting that the Cardinals rainy World Series game was a "great" opportunity to see a WS game for around $300 per ticket and saying how that's as low as he'd seen in this era. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: August 12, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »
Maybe early, but there will be a decent number of st holders forced to buy a full strip who either have to or want to unload certain games

Offline RL04

« Reply #8: August 13, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
there will be a decent number of st holders forced to buy a full strip who either have to or want to unload certain games

"Decent number?"   I thought (as stated above) that all playoff tix have to be purchased in a complete set.

Open market $100 for NLCS and $300 for WS seems about right.   Though I'm completely guessing.

I think I remember hearing when the Braves were in the playoffs a few years ago that the games did not sell out.  If true, that seems very odd.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: August 13, 2012, 04:15:47 PM »

"Decent number?"   I thought (as stated above) that all playoff tix have to be purchased in a complete set.

yes, and a 'decent number' should end up on stub hub. Since this team's never been to the playoffs, there's no way to know how many. I'm not counting on a reasonable price for the first home playoff game, but after that, I think prices will come down

Offline madj55

« Reply #10: August 14, 2012, 06:13:47 AM »
I'll be attending a game and I don't care what the price is quite frankly.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #11: August 14, 2012, 07:00:58 AM »

The price of a return flight from Melbourne Australia to Washington DC plus hotels, etc won't be too much for me, I am dead set doing it if we make the post-season (and I still say if because I am not one to get carried away)

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #12: August 14, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »
The price of a return flight from Melbourne Australia to Washington DC plus hotels, etc won't be too much for me, I am dead set doing it if we make the post-season (and I still say if because I am not one to get carried away)

Now THAT's a Nats fan!

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #13: August 14, 2012, 10:00:26 AM »
Now THAT's a Nats fan!

Well the "if" is little disturbing. ;)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #14: August 14, 2012, 10:13:55 AM »

I'll be out of town for much of the playoffs. If there is one post-season game that I'll be in town for I'll spend whatever it takes and not think twice.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #15: August 14, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
^^^I disagree.  In the door cheapest prices for early round games will be $90-$110 on the secondary market.  World Series all bets are off. Darren Rovell was tweeting that the Cardinals rainy World Series game was a "great" opportunity to see a WS game for around $300 per ticket and saying how that's as low as he'd seen in this era. 

This was my experience from 2005 in Chicago. ALDS and ALCS tickets were surprisingly affordable and the price on the secondary market dropped as the games got closer. World Series tickets were an arm and a leg and got more expensive as the games got closer. I paid $1000 to sit in the nosebleeds for Game 1 of the 2005 World Series, I could have paid $700 if I had bought a few days earlier and not waited for the price drop that never came.

If you are OK with only watching the last 5 innings of a playoff game, you can probably get EXCELLENT deals outside the stadium after the game starts.

EDIT: A lot of the interest in premium games comes from customers other than die-hard fans: from companies, casual fans, etc. The World Series is very meaningful to these customers. The NLDS and NLCS is not.

Offline madj55

« Reply #16: August 14, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »
I'll be out of town for much of the playoffs. If there is one post-season game that I'll be in town for I'll spend whatever it takes and not think twice.

I'll be in CT at school once the playoffs start, but finally having an October birthday works in my favor for baseball and my parents said they'd get me tickets as a gift and fly me home. Last couple of years I've witnessed the Skins get massacred on my bday.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #17: August 14, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »
I paid $1000 to sit in the nosebleeds for Game 1 of the 2005 World Series, I could have paid $700 if I had bought a few days earlier and not waited for the price drop that never came.

These kinds of prices are why I am glad I bought a strip. I am going to try and make every game but it sounds like the secondary market may provide some cost relief. 

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #18: August 14, 2012, 12:56:50 PM »
The 1st home game should be expensive. I'll wait for the 2nd one because that should be cheaper assuming the Nationals even make it to the 2nd home game

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #19: August 14, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
Now THAT's a Nats fan!

Found this online for the 1960 Game 7 at Forbes .... $7.70.    :)    Of course the game's over.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #20: August 14, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »
Found this online for the 1960 Game 7 at Forbes .... $7.70.    :)    Of course the game's over.

Pretty cool...the owner should try to get Maz's signature on it!

Offline RL04

« Reply #21: August 14, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »
Found this online for the 1960 Game 7 at Forbes .... $7.70.   

That game sucked!   You can have it.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #22: August 14, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
Wasn't WS game 1 in like horizontal blowing sleet and freezing rain?

This was my experience from 2005 in Chicago. ALDS and ALCS tickets were surprisingly affordable and the price on the secondary market dropped as the games got closer. World Series tickets were an arm and a leg and got more expensive as the games got closer. I paid $1000 to sit in the nosebleeds for Game 1 of the 2005 World Series, I could have paid $700 if I had bought a few days earlier and not waited for the price drop that never came.

If you are OK with only watching the last 5 innings of a playoff game, you can probably get EXCELLENT deals outside the stadium after the game starts.

EDIT: A lot of the interest in premium games comes from customers other than die-hard fans: from companies, casual fans, etc. The World Series is very meaningful to these customers. The NLDS and NLCS is not.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #23: August 14, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
It was a cold and wet day. I wore a hoodie and drank lots of Dunkin Donuts hot chocolate (which Chicago baseball stadiums profitably sell during spring and fall games). But it didn't rain during the game. During many of the tensest moments of the game I was too nervous to sit in the stands and paced the concourse instead, which probably kept me warmer.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #24: August 15, 2012, 10:16:12 AM »
I haven't purchased my ST for next year, but will be shortly. I plan on buying the $10/seat partial plan. Can anyone tell me what the STH prices are for a whole strip in that section?