Author Topic: Android Thread  (Read 43729 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Android Thread
« Reply #25: December 31, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »
i still rock the droid incredible x2 and it's amazing.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #26: December 31, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »
i still rock the droid incredible x2 and it's amazing.

Still??? The phone came out in what March or April.  Great little phone, nice small size with a decent enough screen.  The ultimate 2010 technology package they got everything right with that phone by not trying to rush into the latest technology that hadn't had the bugs worked out.  The anti-Thunderbolt.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #27: December 31, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »
I'm all about last year's technology...optimal bang for the buck.  I'll let the beautiful people fight each other tooth and nail at the Apple store for the latest iPhone while I shop with the illegals at Radio Shack.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #28: December 31, 2011, 12:59:58 PM »
I'm all about last year's technology...optimal bang for the buck.  I'll let the beautiful people fight each other tooth and nail at the Apple store for the latest iPhone while I shop with the illegals at Radio Shack.

My Dad picked up the I2 for free a few months back by signing up for a two year plan.  A bargain if you are expecting to stick with Verizon anyway.  The monthly plans are much cheaper but I wouldn't trust their networks.  My brother is dropping AT&T due to dropped calls and Sprint is the worst.

• babble on
« Reply #29: December 31, 2011, 01:03:45 PM »
I've had Virgin Mobile for several years and it's been fine...I even get a signal in the back bowl at Arapahoe Basin (where no other networks get squat).

My Dad picked up the I2 for free a few months back by signing up for a two year plan.  A bargain if you are expecting to stick with Verizon anyway.  The monthly plans are much cheaper but I wouldn't trust their networks.  My brother is dropping AT&T due to dropped calls and Sprint is the worst.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #30: December 31, 2011, 01:05:18 PM »
I've had Virgin Mobile for several years and it's been fine...I even get a signal in the back bowl at Arapahoe Basin (where no other networks get squat).

How does it work at Nats Park during a game?  Verizon is hit and miss; my friends with AT&T might as well be carrying paperweights in their pockets.

• babble on
« Reply #31: December 31, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »
No problems thus far...ditto Verizon Centre
How does it work at Nats Park during a game?  Verizon is hit and miss; my friends with AT&T might as well be carrying paperweights in their pockets.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #32: January 01, 2012, 04:22:39 AM »
Ive had no problem at Nats park.  Very Few times at Verizon and Im on Verizon.  I had to get a phone in October.  I got the bionic.  If the Razor was out, I would have gotten it then, but it wasnt.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #33: January 01, 2012, 04:49:34 AM »
The RAZR is :az:

My contract with AT&T/iPhone 4 is up in June, and I'm not sure where i go.  Android ICS seems very nice, even on my old nook color in a preliminary build.  Unless apple releases a crazy iPhone 5 I will probably go android, and I don't know which carrier. 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #34: January 01, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with the $35/mo Android phones from Virgin Mobile and Radio Shack?

I grabbed the LG Optimus Slider at the Shack a few weeks ago ($149) to replace a lost phone. It's the same $35/month plan with 300 minutes and unlimited text and inter webs. So far it works pretty good. The 3G coverage is decent enough, Pandora works decently and the GPS works to track my occasional runs

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #35: January 31, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
Just installed a 4.0/ICS build on my Fascinate last night.  It's quite far along (eventually going to be CM9 for my phone model).  Everything is much smoother (evidence of more GPU assist, presumably) and the voice input is light years ahead of Gingerbread.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #36: January 31, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »
I'll be getting a Boost Mobile Android phone when I move to WV next month.

Debating between the Samsung Galaxy Prevail - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3131

and the ZTE Warp - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3476

and the Samsung Transform Ultra - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3211

leaning towards the Warp. only considering the Transform Ultra because it has a front-facing Camera.

• babble on
« Reply #37: January 31, 2012, 11:24:59 PM »
Just get the cheapest one, they will all be obsolete in a few months anyways.
I'll be getting a Boost Mobile Android phone when I move to WV next month.

Debating between the Samsung Galaxy Prevail - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3131

and the ZTE Warp - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3476

and the Samsung Transform Ultra - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3211

leaning towards the Warp. only considering the Transform Ultra because it has a front-facing Camera.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #38: February 01, 2012, 01:08:57 AM »
I'll probably go android next upgrade.  I'd like to go with a new carrier too.  Rather pay $500 for the phone and $35 a month than $300 for the phone and $80 a month.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #39: February 02, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »
Really liking ICS so far.  Everything just feels so much smoother and more polished than Gingerbread.  And this is on two year-old hardware (original Galaxy S), so I can only imagine how sweet it must be on the Galaxy Nexus.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #41: February 07, 2012, 02:53:06 PM »
Call me one of the people that thought android already used chrome.

On html5test.com, my phone scored 305+9 bonus points.  So the chrome beta (343+10) is already besting mobile safari :panic:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #42: February 07, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »
Yeah I think of the native browser as being Chrome, too, but whatever.  I DL'ed the beta and don't see anything compelling yet.  Dolphin HD + the native 4.0 renderer works great for me.  I wouldn't even put it above Opera Mobile on a 2.x handset.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #43: February 26, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »
So wife and I are looking for.new.phones. We're  both quite overdue to use our Verizon upgrades.

Isnt there a version of the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon? How about the Droid 4? She likes real keyboards.

Anything else worth considering?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: February 26, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #45: February 26, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »
I've seen Radio Shack ads for the Samsung Stratosphere for free on Verizon, it's got a slide out landscape keyboard.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #46: February 26, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
We want 4G but I'm not totally comitted to it. I.see nothing I really need 4G for.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #47: February 26, 2012, 07:36:58 PM »
Do you even have 4G coverage?

I just found out that I'm eligible for upgrade now but my contract ends in July.  I don't know if I'll just wait or what.  I'd hate to switch to Verizon and lose my unlimited data I have with AT&T.  But AT&T's phones all suck except for the iPhone, and the 4S is a pretty worthless upgrade if (like me) you already have the 4.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: February 26, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »
I wouldn't stick with ATT because of unlimited- they throttle you making it impossible to get to the 3 gig level that's the same price

Offline Slateman

« Reply #49: February 26, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »
Do you even have 4G coverage?

I just found out that I'm eligible for upgrade now but my contract ends in July.  I don't know if I'll just wait or what.  I'd hate to switch to Verizon and lose my unlimited data I have with AT&T.  But AT&T's phones all suck except for the iPhone, and the 4S is a pretty worthless upgrade if (like me) you already have the 4.

Yes. Live in Northern Virginia.