Author Topic: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?  (Read 30581 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?
« Reply #250: June 23, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »
If his shoulder were still hurt, he couldn't make the terrific defensive plays he always makes.  I think this is HUGE CONTRACT HAVE TO PERFORM-itus.

He was making those plays before he went on the DL.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #251: June 23, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »
Could it be something as simple as standing too far from the plate?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #252: June 23, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »
Could it be something as simple as standing too far from the plate?

Been standing there for the past 5 seasons. Not really sure how that's an issue now.

It's really simple. His shoulder isn't 100%. This isn't rocket science people. He is lacking pop the other way, which has always been a strength for him.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #253: June 23, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »
I think he should get his eyes checked

Offline Slateman

« Reply #254: June 23, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »
I think he should get his eyes checked

:lmao:

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #255: June 23, 2012, 03:14:19 PM »
He hits the most grounders to short that I've ever seen.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #256: June 23, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
He says it's not; Zuckerman says he has been crushing the ball in BP (when the Rays were in town). FP says he just needs to heat up, that he's slumping. He's not late for balls, he's just not squaring them up.

I'll listening to the baseball people for now. He's slumping or pressuring himself too much.  Drop him down in the order, maybe that'll wake him up.

Been standing there for the past 5 seasons. Not really sure how that's an issue now.

It's really simple. His shoulder isn't 100%. This isn't rocket science people. He is lacking pop the other way, which has always been a strength for him.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #257: June 23, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »
Not sure what's so funny. Reference Guzman, Christian.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #258: June 23, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »
Were you around last few years to watch our future hall of fame catcher, Pudge GIDP Rodriguez? ;)

He hits the most grounders to short than I've ever seen.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #259: June 23, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »
Not sure what's so funny. Reference Guzman, Christian.

My point exactly

My post was not in jest at all on any level. Zim should have his eyes checked. Maybe his vision is not as sharp as it used to be.

Look how well it worked for Rick Vaughn?  Wild thing, you make my heart sing.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #260: June 23, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »
He says it's not; Zuckerman says he has been crushing the ball in BP (when the Rays were in town). FP says he just needs to heat up, that he's slumping. He's not late for balls, he's just not squaring them up.

I'll listening to the baseball people for now. He's slumping or pressuring himself too much.  Drop him down in the order, maybe that'll wake him up.

FP said all that crap before Zimmerman went on the DL. He's a mouthpiece for the organization. Zimmerman's shoulder isn't good. He's swinging the same way prior to his injury coming out.

Davey just needs to do his freaking job and make the hard decision instead of trying to be the players' friends.

Online MorseTheHorse

« Reply #261: June 23, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
He says it's not; Zuckerman says he has been crushing the ball in BP (when the Rays were in town).

FWIW, I've heard otherwise from friends who went to BP during the Ray's series and said Zim just had no power at all.  I know this prob means 0 to anybody else on the forum, but thought I'd share nonetheless

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #262: June 23, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »
[...]Zuckerman says he has been crushing the ball in BP (when the Rays were in town)[...]

This is at least the third time I've seen this and to be perfectly honest it's getting a bit old. It's like some basketball player who's hitting 3-pointers like they're going out of style during pre-match shoot-around...then in the match proper goes 2-for-11 from the floor overall (including nil-for-7 from downtown). It's the in-game performance that matters, and that we're not getting right now.

I've heard at least once on the radio pre-match shows that Davey Johnson is the sort of manager who prefers that players play their way out of slumps...but it doesn't seem to be working here. I am increasingly inclining toward the school of thought that there really is something the matter with The Face Of The Franchise...but whether it's physical, mental, trying to live up to that new contract or some combination of the preceding, I really can't say.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #263: June 23, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
My point exactly

My post was not in jest at all on any level. Zim should have his eyes checked. Maybe his vision is not as sharp as it used to be.

Look how well it worked for Rick Vaughn?  Wild thing, you make my heart sing.

(Image removed from quote.)

Zimmerman hit .297/.357/.465 the last two months of the season last year. So, basically, in 7 months, you're saying that his vision has degraded so much that he can't hit his own weight? If that's true, Zim should be in a hospital, because he probably has some sort of cancer or disease.

His shoulder is still banged up. It was sprained, if I remember correctly. That's going to take more than 2 weeks to get better. Now he's trying to play through and he's failing at the plate.

Make the hard decision. Put him on the DL after the game on Sunday. He will come off right before the all star break. With the extra days, he'll get almost 3 full weeks of rest. Heck, you could even use that last day to test his shoulder in a simulated game.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #264: June 23, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
I'm not sure how much stock I would put in something Zuckerman says.

He keeps insisting that the shoulder injury affected Zim's ability to throw, not hit, when it was the other way around.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #265: June 23, 2012, 05:36:18 PM »
DL. He's hurt. He's trying to play through the pain, but his bat is killing this team. Put him on the DL, play Lombo at third and Moore in LF.

Thanks, doc.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #266: June 23, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
Yeah, I heard that, too. I didn't know what to make of it, but Zuckerman isn't a Nats shill.

FWIW, I've heard otherwise from friends who went to BP during the Ray's series and said Zim just had no power at all.  I know this prob means 0 to anybody else on the forum, but thought I'd share nonetheless

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #267: June 23, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
Zimmerman hit .297/.357/.465 the last two months of the season last year. So, basically, in 7 months, you're saying that his vision has degraded so much that he can't hit his own weight? If that's true, Zim should be in a hospital, because he probably has some sort of cancer or disease.

Ridiculous, your vision can degrade very quickly at any age and for a baseball player even a modest decrease in visual acuity could make a big difference in your effectiveness.

I went from perfect vision to needing glasses in a less than a 6 month period of time. So to suggest that this idea is outrageous is nonsense.

Maybe it is his shoulder and maybe he's not seeing as sharply as sharply as he once did, or maybe it's his confidence, or maybe it's his batting stance.

You have no idea

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #268: June 23, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »
Right. In your mid to late 20s, your eyesight can't degrade enough, as a professional baseball player, to decrease your ability to see a 3" ball moving approximately 90 MPH. Again, see Guzman, Christian. Or the Braves catcher. Or their first baseman. Or Tyler Clippard, wearer of specially designed specs - that he didn't wear as a early 20s Yankee. Must be cancer or something.

If it's his shoulder, it's his shoulder, who the hell knows. He says it's not.

We all can agree that something has to change - it's probably not going to just get better by itself.

His shoulder is still banged up. It was sprained, if I remember correctly. That's going to take more than 2 weeks to get better. Now he's trying to play through and he's failing at the plate.

Make the hard decision. Put him on the DL after the game on Sunday. He will come off right before the all star break. With the extra days, he'll get almost 3 full weeks of rest. Heck, you could even use that last day to test his shoulder in a simulated game.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #269: June 23, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »
Ridiculous, your vision can degrade very quickly at any age and for a baseball player even a modest decrease in visual acuity could make a big difference in your effectiveness.

I went from perfect vision to needing glasses in a less than a 6 month period of time. So to suggest that this idea is outrageous is nonsense.

This is spot on. Same thing happened to me, while I was playing baseball.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #270: June 23, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »
Mark Zuckerman ‏@MarkZuckerman

I know it's only BP, but Zimmerman just put one over CF fence, then over right-CF fence. Can't imagine he could do that with bum shoulder.

Seriously? What the hell ?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #271: June 23, 2012, 06:34:07 PM »

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #272: June 23, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
How many GIDPs does he hit into tonight?  At least two. I'd rather he strikeout.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #273: June 23, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »
Or bunt if someone is on base. Success of any kind breeds success.
How many GIDPs does he hit into tonight?  At least two. I'd rather he strikeout.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #274: June 23, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »
had a great AB i believe in the 5th or so inning, long at bat, absolutely smoked a pitch to CF right at Jones though.