Author Topic: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread  (Read 172391 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread
« Reply #1950: November 26, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »
After reading that Boswell column, why do you think that?

Also this, as a suppliment to the column:

The top free agent pitchers are Greinke and 18-game win ner Kyle Lohse. But that leaves a LOT of stock for Rizzo to pick up a 4th starter. And that's the phrase he used with me yeserday when discussing what the Nats needed. Other FA pitchers include Anibal Sanchez, Ryan Dempster (12-8, 3.38), Joe Saunders, Francisco Liriano, Sean Marcum, Ben Sheets, Brandon McCarthy (8-6, 3.24), plus some "usual suspects" like Wolf, Zambrano, F Garcia, Sheets, Marcum. If that list is 100% correct I'd be amazed!

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nats resign lefty Zach Duke who was 15-5 3.51 ERA at Syracuse last year, then 1.32 in 12 IP for Nats in September. He may even be resigned already. I heard a "maybe" on that. He has 168 career starts in MLB, but the Nats may have polished him up last year. He's only 29. That's a good example of how sharp the Nats are at finding value where others see nothing.

Rizzo said yesterday: "We like to keep (off-season) things under wraps. When you hear our name linked with a player, you know those are the things that are NOT going to happen."

It's true. Werth and Gonzalez were industry wide surprises. I suspect the Nats are kicking the tires on a CF who's not Bourn or BJ Upton. Doubt it's Victorino because he hits better RHed than LHed and the Nats need LH bats more if they lose LaRoche.