Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread) (2015)  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread) (2015)
« Reply #1: January 06, 2015, 09:56:34 AM »
Apple's iOS Is In 'Rapid Decline,' Says Prominent Programmer

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/05/marco-arment_n_6416540.html

OSX seems to be doing the same.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: March 09, 2015, 02:52:20 PM »
so apple is selling a stainless steel watch band for $400 ($450 if you want black) :lmao:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: March 09, 2015, 11:20:24 PM »
i want a new Macbook!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #4: March 10, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »
i want a new Macbook!

You want an underpowered and overpriced FoxConn sack of dung that's nothing like the old MBPs?  I think I'm done with Apple now.  It's pretty apparent they're only interested in courting the dipcrap consumer now that the iAnus lines have taken off. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: March 10, 2015, 09:29:56 AM »
but they will sell you an $80 dongle to replace all the ports they got rid of, so there's that

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #6: March 10, 2015, 09:42:27 AM »
but they will sell you an $80 dongle to replace all the ports they got rid of, so there's that

Can I get some Beats™ shiite to go with it?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: March 10, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »
does it have enough power to play music, surf, and let you write a crappy novel at the same time?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #8: March 10, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »
does it have enough power to play music, surf, and let you write a crappy novel at the same time?

It could just be because I'm getting older but Apple, to me, went from being a cult "consumer electronics company" that charged a premium but used solid hardware in their laptops to a "let's get the maroons to buy this crap" crap producer. 

Offline imref

« Reply #9: March 10, 2015, 10:03:16 AM »

Offline dracnal

« Reply #10: March 10, 2015, 10:43:43 AM »
It could just be because I'm getting older but Apple, to me, went from being a cult "consumer electronics company" that charged a premium but used solid hardware in their laptops to a "let's get the maroons to buy this crap" crap producer.

No, you've pretty much nailed it. The original MBP lines were honestly pretty solid. And highly customizable. The current ones have soldered RAM and screens and batteries that are -glued- into place, preventing replacement.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #11: March 10, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »
No, you've pretty much nailed it. The original MBP lines were honestly pretty solid. And highly customizable. The current ones have soldered RAM and screens and batteries that are -glued- into place, preventing replacement.

I switched back over to Linux a few months ago and really can't see laying out over $2,000 for an i7 MacBook Pro that's still underpowered with only 16GB of RAM just to not have a Windows laptop.  Given all of the gluing and soldering in the new MBPs I doubt they'd last any longer than the *nix laptops that are at least half of the price of those and just as thin.  At this point they're trading on reputation and courting idiots with $0 down offers from the cell phone companies and the real morons looking to waste their tax returns on crap watches that are in beta. 

You had a good run Apple, now you're just a better marketed and packaged version of junk.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: March 10, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »

even the new imacs have soldered RAM (because the extra half inch of depth on a desktop is clearly critical). I started with the plastic macbooks- those were affordable, well built, and durable as hell- perfect for a student. I have an imac, which has been a great computer, but it's getting harder to justify sticking with them

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #13: March 10, 2015, 12:28:13 PM »
Apple is constantly playing catchup to the PC and Android OEMs now. It should be embarrassing, but their sales keep killing based on reputation and ease of use. And I'll keep recommending iPhones to my Mom or your Mom or whoever, but still. They aren't innovating at all.

Offline imref

« Reply #14: March 10, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »
Apple is constantly playing catchup to the PC and Android OEMs now. It should be embarrassing, but their sales keep killing based on reputation and ease of use. And I'll keep recommending iPhones to my Mom or your Mom or whoever, but still. They aren't innovating at all.

i still love my MBA, even with a 125 GB solid state drive.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #15: March 10, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »
Only perk to those is the price point. Airs are insanely dated on screen res and power. Hence the refresh, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by a Core M Ultrabook without touch, lol.

Not sure why you wouldn't go Ultrabook/Convertible/Surface otherwise. Unless you are a Mom or something.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: March 10, 2015, 12:35:13 PM »
the argument used to be build quality, but the surface erased that one

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #17: March 10, 2015, 12:37:14 PM »
Sorry, my post came across jerkish, wasn't meaning it.  I do appreciate hardware and rocked a MBP for years. I really feel like they are just lagging behind at this point, though.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #18: March 10, 2015, 12:47:06 PM »
Not sure why you wouldn't go Ultrabook/Convertible/Surface otherwise. Unless you are a Mom or something.

the argument used to be build quality, but the surface erased that one

Unfortunately the Surface is M$ crap so no thanks.  At this point I'm going with whoever makes a decent Ubuntu laptop that I can recycle when it finally dies.  Half the price of the new MPB with the i7 and just as light and as fast.  I will miss the metal cases though.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #19: March 10, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »
So anti-MS just to be anti-MS?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #20: March 10, 2015, 01:11:30 PM »
So anti-MS just to be anti-MS?

The hardware is nice but it's running a M$ OS so no thanks. 

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #21: March 10, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »
Ugh.

Offline imref

« Reply #22: March 10, 2015, 01:39:01 PM »
Only perk to those is the price point. Airs are insanely dated on screen res and power. Hence the refresh, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by a Core M Ultrabook without touch, lol.

For me, the Mac is something I use to get my work done.  yeah, there might be a faster machine out there, with better graphics, and the like.  But if I go down the Linux path I've got to become a sys admin and deal with things like drivers and the like.  I also can't run MS Office which I need for work, or SPSS.  And, because I want to get work done, I'm not going to ever run Windows again.  So, the only reasonable choice for me is Mac.

I remember back around 2008 when my niece was heading off to college and asked me for buying advice for a laptop.  I told her if she gets a Mac, i'll support it.  If she gets a Windows laptop, she's on her own.  She called me once when the hard drive failed after two years.  She had it replaced and had all her data restored at an Apple store in about an hour.  She repeatedly thanked me for the recommendation, noting that the friends of hers who had Windows machines had constant problems.

I've been a Mac user since about 2003 (when the first OS X laptops arrived).  I've heard year after year how Macs were over-priced, under-powered machines and that some day folks would wake up and realize that there were much better options from other hardware vendors.  Yet here we are in 2015 and just about everyone I know has switched to Mac, or would switch to Mac if given the choice.  I can't believe we're still having these discussions.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #23: March 10, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »
I've been a Mac user since about 2003 (when the first OS X laptops arrived).  I've heard year after year how Macs were over-priced, under-powered machines and that some day folks would wake up and realize that there were much better options from other hardware vendors.  Yet here we are in 2015 and just about everyone I know has switched to Mac, or would switch to Mac if given the choice.  I can't believe we're still having these discussions.

Slow down there hoss, I think you're either not reading what we wrote or just had the standard "but Macs are awesome" discussion saved for this thread.  I used to be a huge Apple fan and customer but, at this point, I can't justify paying over $2,000 for a laptop that can't take abuse when I can buy a Ubuntu laptop for less than half of the i7 MBP.  Sure, it's not as pretty as the unibody MBP but it's also less than $1,000 and can do everything I need (R, MySQL, Eclipse) and requires very little to get up and running. 

The problem is that where Apple is going is producing and pushing underpower overpriced crap like the gold MacBook Air with the M processor (total crap for anything other than web surfing) and this watch that looks like a "hey fanboys - be our testers for this overpriced product you don't need". 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #24: March 10, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »
Apple is just about marketing now, just look at the term retina when talking about resolution 1. it has no meaning and 2. if their resolution is good enough to be whatever retina is, then so is almost every competitor since they apple lags in resolution be it on phones, tablets or laptops. I used to love mac, but I used to be able to stretch life cycles by adding RAM or swapping out drives, thanks to the wonders of torx screws, soldering and glue, that's not an option anymore- they've become masters at planned obsolescence. This new watch pretty much encapsulates what's wrong with apple now, they're touting innovation even though there is nothing in not already offered by competitors (in the case of calling they're way behind since you can get a samsung with a sim card and actually make calls on it), they're pricing it above the competition by an absurd amount, and the variable pricing is based largely on cosmetic differences - they're acting more like a lifestyle brand and less like a tech company