Author Topic: Nationals vs Braves, Game 3  (Read 13691 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Nationals vs Braves, Game 3
« Reply #300: August 23, 2012, 06:38:33 AM »
Wow ... I was actually pretty close ....

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #301: August 23, 2012, 07:48:37 AM »
THIS DAY WITH THE '05 OVERACHIEVERS: Monday 22nd August 2005 was a travel day, with the four-city road trip finally in the books (7-6)...record 65-59...heading home to open a homestand against the Reds and Cardinals.

---

Bit surprised at the reported 29,111 attendance - looked bigger.

---

The 300-level in-stands vendor with Amstel/Heineken/Stella has been back after being AWOL in the Mets series...came by TBSITH four times...fantastic service.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #302: August 23, 2012, 07:51:43 AM »
You guys can always find a way to twist things negatively, can't you?

'In front of every silver lining there's a dark cloud'

- Morticia Addams (played by Carolyn Jones) in The Addams Family telly series, 1964-66

Offline PC

« Reply #303: August 23, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »
Several guys struggling right now.  Even Harper's hit was just a grounder to short.  Morse finally got a hit.  Espinosa has looked not great.  Suzuki still bad.  I'm glad we have a day off tomorrow. 

Braves are a good team.  Their hitters look better than ours right now - especially when they sit the guys they have that are slumping like Uggla and McCann. 

Um no.  The Braves lineup is a mess.  The turning point of this game was a walk to the pitcher not anything in the Braves weak lineup.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #304: August 23, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »
Um no.  The Braves lineup is a mess.

Exactly.  Nats beat them pretty convincingly the first two games.  Nats still looking like the better team to me, almost across the board.  I did "like" what I saw from Medlen last night.  If Beachy comes back healthy, that will be a pretty solid rotation in a couple of years and it's pretty solid now.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #305: August 23, 2012, 10:56:26 AM »
Um no.  The Braves lineup is a mess.  The turning point of this game was a walk to the pitcher not anything in the Braves weak lineup.

Uh ... except for, you know, the double that Prado hit.

Offline PC

« Reply #306: August 23, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »
Uh ... except for, you know, the double that Prado hit.

If you don't walk the pitcher, the inning ends so the Prado hit (which Harper took a terrible route on) never happens.  I have no doubt (and this is a total mindfact) that Medlen would have "broken" if the game had stayed 0-0.

And the Braves offense was going to do very little, period, which, in reality, is what happened.  They scored after the walk of the pitcher and a defensive implosion in the 9th.   Their offensive output was caused almost entirely by Nationals miscues.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #307: August 23, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
We'll never know what would have happened if Ross doesn't lose his concentration there.  Medlen is the kind of pitcher that gives the Nats fits.  The Nats hunt fastballs and he didn't throw many. 

Offline PC

« Reply #308: August 23, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
We'll never know what would have happened if Ross doesn't lose his concentration there.  Medlen is the kind of pitcher that gives the Nats fits.  The Nats hunt fastballs and he didn't throw many. 

The pressure was greater on the Braves to win the game than the Nationals and with Medlen's stuff with the pressure of a 0-0 game building. it would have only taken a little less control on a few pitches to give the Nationals the lead.  Again, assuming we get a clean game from the Nationals.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #309: August 23, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »
The pressure was greater on the Braves to win the game than the Nationals and with Medlen's stuff with the pressure of a 0-0 game building. it would have only taken a little less control on a few pitches to give the Nationals the lead.  Again, assuming we get a clean game from the Nationals.

That's true, but I'd argue that Det cracked under similar pressure to keep it at 0-0 when he walked Medlen and then also to keep it at 2-0 when he eventually was pulled in the 6th (though Stammen was able to wiggle out of it). 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #310: August 24, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »
Agree - walking Medlen was awful
That's true, but I'd argue that Det cracked under similar pressure to keep it at 0-0 when he walked Medlen and then also to keep it at 2-0 when he eventually was pulled in the 6th (though Stammen was able to wiggle out of it).