Poll

Would You Throw Back Barry Bonds Historic Homerun Ball?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Would You Throw Back Barry Bonds Historic Homerun Ball?  (Read 6587 times)

natsfan1a

I haven't been following this thread but was there an option for holding on to the ball, then passing it on to the Hall of Fame (which the Barry might not do on his own)?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I haven't been following this thread but was there an option for holding on to the ball, then passing it on to the Hall of Fame (which the Barry might not do on his own)?

I don't think there was. Also, so much for the idea that Bonds wouldn't try to hit the tying jack in LA. That last swing he took last night was for the fences.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
I don't think there was. Also, so much for the idea that Bonds wouldn't try to hit the tying jack in LA. That last swing he took last night was for the fences.

He wants to tie it in LA for kicks, then hit the all-important 756 at home.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
You can hear the LA crowd serenading Bonds with the Barroids chant LOL. I love it. I always hit him with that one at RFK since I sit in LF.

They're pitching to Barroids tonight though. He's 0-3 so far with one more plate appearance pending.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070803&content_id=2128034&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

And, yes, as Robin Williams said during the credits of that hilarious "Up For Grabs" documentary, we want to snag a ball that has an insane value. Maybe if you caught this one, you would see that it is returned to Bonds. Maybe you would throw it back onto the playing field, which is highly doubtful. Maybe you would fight for it with other fans and become so attached to it that you spent a year and a half in legal turmoil waiting for a judge to decide whether it belonged to you or someone else.

That is exactly what happened to the ball that Bonds struck on the last day of the 2001 season for his 73rd homer, which stands as the single-season record. "Up For Grabs" -- the fifth best-reviewed baseball movie on the Rotten Tomatoes website -- is a fascinating look at that long and comical battle for possession of that 73 ball. Video showed that it first nestled in snow-cone fashion into the glove of Alex Popov, but Patrick Hayashi is the person who emerged from the ensuing scrum with the ball and was ushered downstairs by Giants security at AT&T (then Pac Bell) Park.

Very good read.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
In the Post, Dmitri young said he would "keep it and double dog dare a fan to come take it from me." LOL.  Schneider said he would keep it and donate it to the Hall.  I suppose notld will now hate them both for the rest of his life.

In the Post, Dmitri young said he would "keep it and double dog dare a fan to come take it from me." LOL.  Schneider said he would keep it and donate it to the Hall.  I suppose notld will now hate them both for the rest of his life.

You have a problem JMad?  PM me and we will deal with it. If not, I'd appreciate it if you stop trying to act like you actually know what your talking about.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Jeez guys come on...  some people are idealists and others are pragmatic.  Maybe you each see the other as being so to a fault, but the issue is dead now...  some dud from Queens got the ball and is probably going to spend it all on hookers and blow.  End of story.

natsfan1a

I suppose he was a Mets fan, being from Queens...

Jeez guys come on...  some people are idealists and others are pragmatic.  Maybe you each see the other as being so to a fault, but the issue is dead now...  some dud from Queens got the ball and is probably going to spend it all on hookers and blow.  End of story.

I haven't visited this thread for awhile but when I do, I come back to baiting tactics towards me.  If he has a problem, I offer him a private solution to resolving that problem. 

Natsfan, the fan might be a Mets fan but then again, NYC itself is definitely Yankees territory.  I went to three parts of the city and it was no contest who it seemed everyone was rooting for.  Saw a few Mets hats but there were legions of Yanks swag, even on the homeless.  One guy was on his way to work in nice pants, nice shoes, and a collared Yankee shirt.

The guy who caught A-Rod's 500th was a Yank fan from NJ. 

My Curly W hat wasn't the only one in the city though.  I saw quite a few on the heads of youngsters and a strange amount of adults sport them in the Bronx.

Offline JMW IV

*yawn*

I hadn't been through this thread in a long while. when i read that article in the post I found it humorous, and it reminded me of this thread.

so i figured i'd dump a snarky comment in here for the hell of it regarding said article. I'm such a terrible, terrible person.

i'd appreciate it if you didn't get your panties in a bunch over something that isn't at all serious.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Too many sensitive men on this board...I see too much GAYNESS around here.   :P

Offline JMW IV

You have a problem JMad? 

me and you at the Flagpole, at 3 o'clock.

natsfan1a

Good point. I noticed the preponderance of Yanks gear on a trip to NYC last year. Cool about the curly w caps, though. Maybe the sightings could be added to the curly w caps thread as well...

Natsfan, the fan might be a Mets fan but then again, NYC itself is definitely Yankees territory.  I went to three parts of the city and it was no contest who it seemed everyone was rooting for.  Saw a few Mets hats but there were legions of Yanks swag, even on the homeless.  One guy was on his way to work in nice pants, nice shoes, and a collared Yankee shirt.

The guy who caught A-Rod's 500th was a Yank fan from NJ. 

My Curly W hat wasn't the only one in the city though.  I saw quite a few on the heads of youngsters and a strange amount of adults sport them in the Bronx.

Offline JMW IV

New York is clearly a Yankees and Giants town.

there is no debating it.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
New York is clearly a Yankees and Giants town.

there is no debating it.

Amen to that.

me and you at the Flagpole, at 3 o'clock.

Let's dance.  (No Sens, that wasn't a Brokeback Mountain moment.) :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Let's dance.  (No Sens, that wasn't a Brokeback Mountain moment.) :lol:

Sens is a little sens-itive about such things.  He's got a sort of Tom Sellick look to him what with the stash and all, and I think maybehe attracts some diverse interest, if you catch my drift.   :lol:

Sens is a little sens-itive about such things.  He's got a sort of Tom Sellick look to him what with the stash and all, and I think maybehe attracts some diverse interest, if you catch my drift.   :lol:

I gotcha.

:lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Pretty close likeness!!  If ever I was going to go the other way..... ;)

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
Pretty close likeness!!  If ever I was going to go the other way..... ;)
And here, I always thought you had a crush on Ryan Zimmerman!  ;)