Author Topic: Tony Armas  (Read 2159 times)

Offline rileyn

Tony Armas
« Topic Start: June 19, 2006, 09:37:19 PM »
I pledge to never watch you pitch again.  I can't take it.  I said it a few weeks ago when he was cruising along - he always looks like he is on the verge of tears to me.  I knew going in tonight that he wasn't mentally tough enough to pitch at Fenway.  If he has any shred of trade value left, i would deal him tonight and insert Patterson into the rotation.  Go with Livan, Patterson, Ortiz, O'Connor, and Hill.  If one of them breaks down Asatacio should be ready to go.  What the hell ever happened to Drese?

Armas won't be here next year anyway so I would like to keep O'Connor and Hill around to see what they can do.  

Gawd, I hate sissy pitchers.

Thomas

Tony Armas
« Reply #1: June 20, 2006, 07:02:38 AM »
He's definitely not up to snuff, and I've thought for some time that his record, prior to last night's loss, was misleading. He's just not getting it done.

Offline Dave B

Tony Armas
« Reply #2: June 20, 2006, 09:56:27 AM »
Armas just seems to lose focus.  He did well against the top of the lineup. Then when the bottom rolls around I think he takes them lightly or is stil happy about getting Ortiz and Manny to pop up.  I'd love to see stats of how many times the 8th hitter and pitcher get on versus a pitcher.  Armas would have to be near the top.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Tony Armas
« Reply #3: June 20, 2006, 09:58:47 AM »
Quote from: "rileyn"
Gawd, I hate sissy pitchers.

Cap'n Hook couldn't have said it better himself!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Tony Armas
« Reply #4: June 20, 2006, 10:14:49 AM »
Armas will remain in the rotation, Hill will either be relegated to the bullpen, or sent down.

It is the Nationals way.

Offline Dave B

Tony Armas
« Reply #5: June 20, 2006, 10:24:11 AM »
Armas could go to the DL. The TV announcers were mentioning back problems last night

Offline nats2playoffs

Tony Armas
« Reply #6: June 20, 2006, 11:01:55 AM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
Armas could go to the DL. The TV announcers were mentioning back problems last night

Frank missed a game due to back spasms within the last month.
When the Lerners take over, maybe he'll have them again,
and join the bullpen coach in a reassigned position in scouting.  
He could find the next Joe Hardy.  
He could also organize golf outings and Let-It-All-Out therapy sessions.

ncg1983

Tony Armas
« Reply #7: June 20, 2006, 11:08:26 AM »
The problem with Armas is he falls behind pretty much every batter he faces.  He leads the league in pitches thrown per batter.  When you are pitching 2-0, 3-1 to major league hitters, you will get crushed, no matter if you are Roger Clemens or Joey Eischen.

I don't know what his problem is, but if he could cut down on falling behind, his era would lower drastically and he would be a great #3 for us, for some reason though I do not see this happening anytime soon.

Offline Dave B

Tony Armas
« Reply #8: June 20, 2006, 11:13:29 AM »
earlier in the year he was getting ahead and doing well. last year it was the same fall behind crap, or get ahead and throw a hittable 0-2 pitch. this year all the nats starters when they get ahead are wasting their pitches 0-2. i understand the concept of a waste pitch, but you have to throw a strike a couple times so they dont just take it

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
Tony Armas
« Reply #9: June 20, 2006, 12:23:09 PM »
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: how much you want to make a bet  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am predicting that armas goes on the 15 day DL.

why i say this....  

the announcers kept saying.. "ohh he has a stained back...." "he looks off"  

second, this would allow us to not send HILL down to aaa (to make room for BIG NASTY). cause that would be a very stupid move!!  

the last time he pitched...he just looked off... and tonight he didnt look healthy.

that's just my gut? i may be wrong...

ps.. my new nick name for Rauch is "BIG COUNTRY" lol

i put this post up last time armas pitched... i think its time for new blood

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Tony Armas
« Reply #10: June 20, 2006, 02:00:55 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Armas will remain in the rotation, Hill will either be relegated to the bullpen, or sent down.

It is the Nationals way.

Don't you mean the Frank way? ;)

As much as I admire and respect Frank Robinson, I can't help thinking that the team might do better with a younger, less traditional skipper.

Offline nats2playoffs

Tony Armas
« Reply #11: June 20, 2006, 03:41:16 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
[As much as I admire and respect Frank Robinson, I can't help thinking that the team might do better with a younger, less traditional skipper.

Maybe somebody who isn't old enough to be the players' grandfather.  
Frank is a career .478 manager (.488 with Montreal) who does not learn from his mistakes.  It's more than halfway through June and we see ZERO improvement of Vidro's base running screwups.  The lineup leaves lots of players on base.

I don't see Armas going on the DL.  I expect a pitcher will be traded, and no one will want him if they think he has a chronic injury.  My guess is they'll listen to offers for Livan, Ortiz and Armas (and Stanton) and decide which is the best deal for us.  Armas might be the easiest to trade right now, with a winning record and better stats than the other two.  

Offline Ericas Nats

Tony Armas
« Reply #12: June 23, 2006, 12:36:06 AM »
i say get rid of armas.. keep hill, oconnor

Offline UMDNats

Tony Armas
« Reply #13: June 23, 2006, 12:42:15 AM »
Quote from: "Erica's Nats"
i say get rid of armas.. keep hill, oconnor

YES!
I agree. Get rid of Livan while we're at it.

NatsCaps19

Tony Armas
« Reply #14: June 23, 2006, 09:18:08 AM »
send Stanton packing too.. his best years are WAY behind him.

Offline Ericas Nats

Tony Armas
« Reply #15: June 23, 2006, 11:48:19 PM »
dam... i predicted armas going on the DL back on june 14th!! man... hell i should be running the front office... are you listening mr. learner!...lol   i guess my years as a fast pictch pitcher...(many moons ago) and my medical background... are paying off...

i could run this team almost as good as good'ol skipper!! ( no pun intended) lol....

its not ROCKET SCIENCE how not to win!