Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 171016 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1350: August 13, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »
watched Oblivion last week.  Really dug it.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1351: August 13, 2013, 12:49:53 PM »
The book was great ... for fiction

I'd like to know why you feel that way. Not that I'm challenging you, just genuinely curious. I have no insight into the matter other than how it has been presented to the public by Luttrell and others withing the NSW Community.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #1352: August 18, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
Watching "For Love of the Game" right now. It's pretty good. Not a fan of Costner though, and the talking to himself on the mound gets kind of old fast.

Edit: And I keep watching, and maybe it's the voice or something, but Costner really reminds me of Norm McDonald. Am I alone in that?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1353: August 18, 2013, 10:08:08 PM »
watched The Little Mermaid tonight with the kids for the first time (they had seen it before).  Wow, amazing movie.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1354: August 21, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »
Saw "The Butler" on Monday  ...

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1355: August 21, 2013, 09:09:01 PM »
Saw "The Butler" on Monday  ...

and...? Your thoughts?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1356: August 21, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »

and...? Your thoughts?

Being a history "buff" and having grown up during that era, I enjoyed it immensely.   But I offer several things to consider:   

1)   It's a composite/tribute piece.    This particular butler did not exist and the movie has an agenda.   Personally have no problem with the agenda and think it is positive though presented through a sometime uncomfortable lens.   It is on occasion painfully blunt.
2)   As with most movies about a difficult historical era, this movie will be interpreted differently by different folks.   I found it not for the faint of heart or spirit.    Most will be "moved" in some way.
3)   Hanoi Jane is in it.   If I had known, I wouldn't have gone to see it.   In February 1970, I swore to boycott everything she touches.   

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1357: August 21, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Being a history "buff" and having grown up during that era, I enjoyed it immensely.   But I offer several things to consider:   

1)   It's a composite/tribute piece.    This particular butler did not exist and the movie has an agenda.   Personally have no problem with the agenda and think it is positive though presented through a sometime uncomfortable lens.   It is on occasion painfully blunt.
2)   As with most movies about a difficult historical era, this movie will be interpreted differently by different folks.   I found it not for the faint of heart or spirit.    Most will be "moved" in some way.
3)   Hanoi Jane is in it.   If I had known, I wouldn't have gone to see it.   In February 1970, I swore to boycott everything she touches.   

I was born in '76 but I won't pay to see it simply because she is in it. What she did was an affront to all those that served before, then and after. She acted as a traitor to her people. That being said, I appreciate your comments and how you articulated it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1358: August 21, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »

I was born in '76 but I won't pay to see it simply because she is in it. What she did was an affront to all those that served before, then and after. She acted as a traitor to her people. That being said, I appreciate your comments and how you articulated it.

I have no problem with being a dissenter and speaking/assembling/associating accordingly.   It's how she did it.   I will never forget.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1359: August 21, 2013, 10:31:32 PM »
I have no problem with being a dissenter and speaking/assembling/associating accordingly.   It's how she did it.   I will never forget.

it's a fundamental right as an American. At the same time, completely disregarding the safety and plight of soldiers in a hostile foreign land is unforgivable. The veterans of the Vietnam war will never receive the honors they truly deserve. Our soldiers today have benefited from the continued sacrifices of Vietnam vets in the recognition and treatment of PTSD.

Sorry for digressing, if need be, feel free to move this comment mods.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1360: August 21, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »

it's a fundamental right as an American. At the same time, completely disregarding the safety and plight of soldiers in a hostile foreign land is unforgivable. The veterans of the Vietnam war will never receive the honors they truly deserve. Our soldiers today have benefited from the continued sacrifices of Vietnam vets in the recognition and treatment of PTSD.

Sorry for digressing, if need be, feel free to move this comment mods.

Actually, your comment is particularly relevant to this movie.   It relates to the "difficult lens" and "painfully blunt" comments I made.

PS   Upon further review, google says she went to Hanoi (famous photos) in July 1972.    I was ahead of the curve in my distaste for her.   :)

Offline Optics

« Reply #1362: August 23, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »
Ben Affleck named the next Batman.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/holy-big-ben-affleck-set-play-batman-man-022440197.html?cache=clear

Better not suck like Daredevil!

But Affleck was great in Argo and The Town, so I'm optimistic.

Online imref

« Reply #1363: August 23, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1364: September 01, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »
I'd like to know why you feel that way. Not that I'm challenging you, just genuinely curious. I have no insight into the matter other than how it has been presented to the public by Luttrell and others withing the NSW Community.
There are a great many questions in regards to what actually happened. For one, pretty substantial over-estimation of enemy forces. Also, they were never there to grab an HVT. Intel suspected there was an HVT there and the SEAL team was sent in to observe, not grab. Finally, they made the colossally stupid mistake of setting up their OP in between two enemy encampments.

Online Slateman

« Reply #1365: September 01, 2013, 07:22:20 PM »
I watched Emperor last night. Underrated. Good movie.

Online imref

« Reply #1366: September 02, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »
finally watched Bruno last night.  :shock:

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1367: September 02, 2013, 10:33:42 PM »
There are a great many questions in regards to what actually happened. For one, pretty substantial over-estimation of enemy forces. Also, they were never there to grab an HVT. Intel suspected there was an HVT there and the SEAL team was sent in to observe, not grab. Finally, they made the colossally stupid mistake of setting up their OP in between two enemy encampments.

Thank you... I was waiting to hear your response to that... You wouldn't happen to be a member over on SOCNET would you? There's a LOT of break down of that book from people who were not only in that area... but guys who were teammates with Marcus. Worth checking out. They even have a section for us lowly Marines LOL

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1368: September 02, 2013, 10:34:48 PM »
finally watched Bruno last night.  :shock:

crap was Hilarious.. was it not?

Online Slateman

« Reply #1369: September 02, 2013, 10:42:56 PM »
Thank you... I was waiting to hear your response to that... You wouldn't happen to be a member over on SOCNET would you? There's a LOT of break down of that book from people who were not only in that area... but guys who were teammates with Marcus. Worth checking out. They even have a section for us lowly Marines LOL

Nope. It makes for a good book/movie, but it's not that accurate. Truth be told, I think 90% of all military stories are embellished, even in official paperwork. Either that or the heroes never match up to what we imagined they would be.

Online Slateman

« Reply #1370: September 02, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »
Watched Drive last night. Going to finish Only God Forgives tonight. I wish Ryan Gosling made more movies like this.

Online imref

« Reply #1371: September 02, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »
crap was Hilarious.. was it not?

Baby OJ.

Online imref

« Reply #1372: September 02, 2013, 11:59:08 PM »

i appreciate your comments, I enjoyed the book but wasn't aware of the criticisms.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1373: September 03, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »
Nope. It makes for a good book/movie, but it's not that accurate. Truth be told, I think 90% of all military stories are embellished, even in official paperwork. Either that or the heroes never match up to what we imagined they would be.

True... but in a dynamic environment... you as well as I know that there will be a lot of gaps that need to be filled. The casual observer does not understand how significant of a role that the "Fog of War" can play in a five minute period, let alone an extended firefight while egressing over difficult terrain. Luttrell wasn't taking notes. He was laying hate and discontent while trying his damnedest to make sure his three injured team members made it out. I will grant him the luxury of having to fill in some gaps in the time line with conjecture.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1374: September 03, 2013, 03:50:49 PM »
True... but in a dynamic environment... you as well as I know that there will be a lot of gaps that need to be filled. The casual observer does not understand how significant of a role that the "Fog of War" can play in a five minute period, let alone an extended firefight while egressing over difficult terrain. Luttrell wasn't taking notes. He was laying hate and discontent while trying his damnedest to make sure his three injured team members made it out. I will grant him the luxury of having to fill in some gaps in the time line with conjecture.

Well said sir. If you're into war novels, check out Blood on the Risers.