Author Topic: Non-alcoholic Drinks  (Read 30286 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Soft Drinks
« Reply #125: April 03, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
Picked up some Sencha today.  I used to hate the stuff, because Japanese green tea tastes like grass or seaweed, but I kind of liked it when I had some today.  Sort of a change of pace from my black teas, because it tastes grassy and has a grassy / seaweed-like aroma.
Do you use one of those little mesh ball thingies + loose tea?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #126: April 03, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »
Do you use one of those little mesh ball thingies + loose tea?
I use a few different things for brewing teas.  I occasionally use a mesh ball for single cups.  You can get fill your own paper teas bags.  I use those more often because they allow the leaves to expand more than an overpacked tea ball.  You can get those at tea shops like Teaism, Teavana, World Market, and maybe elsewhere.

For a single cup, I prefer to use either a mesh basket so the leaves can float, expand, etc...   The traditional way would be to put loose leaves in the teapot, then strain them as you pour either into cups or into a second tea pot.  I'm sure that's Old Chelsea's way.

I have a neat sort of reverse french press, too, that you can get from Teavana.  basically, you put your leaves into the device, pour in the hot water, and, when it is ready, put the thing on top of your cup.  The way it is built, the edges of the cup will press up a plate that opens a drain at the bottom that lets out the tea.  The advantage this has over a french press is you don't get a bitter squeeze of the dregs at the end.  Bodum or Bon Jour is the product line.

I mentioned that I prefer a mesh basket.  It's a nice compromise between brewing in a pot and the convenience of having the leaves set aside.  There is a line of cups and tea pots with fitted baskets called "For Life" that I like.  You can also find mesh baskets sold on their own that you can use with any cup. 

Offline Nathan

« Reply #127: April 03, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »
Bodum makes good stuff, I have the Bodum Mini Electric Santos vacuum pot coffee maker.  Weis has the mesh ball hangin in the tea aisle, I've been tempted to get one and try some loose teas, my whole tea experience is pretty much Lipton and a decaf green tea with mint :lol:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #128: April 04, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »
Bodum makes good stuff, I have the Bodum Mini Electric Santos vacuum pot coffee maker.  Weis has the mesh ball hangin in the tea aisle, I've been tempted to get one and try some loose teas, my whole tea experience is pretty much Lipton and a decaf green tea with mint :lol:
If you have a small strainer with a mesh that's good enough to catch most of the leaves, then why not just use a pot, throw the leaves in there, and then just pour the tea out into your cup through the strainer?  Don't get me wrong - I use the tea ball too as a matter of convenience sometimes.  It's just not my favorite way to make tea.  The other thing is to look for little paper filter bags.  Those I think are better than the tea balls.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #129: April 04, 2011, 05:24:59 PM »
I have a pour-over 1 cup coffee maker, basically just a cone that sits on top of your cup/mug, put in a small size paper cone filter, coffee, and pour hot water over it slowly.  I could probably just use that to filter out the leaves when making tea.  Of course, all I have is very old Lipton :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #130: April 22, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »
It's not often one stumbles into a great independent coffee shop, but after having taste tested this one a half-dozen times now, it is beginning to even alter my commuting pattern.

http://caffeamouri.com/coffee-tea

Located in Vienna on Church Street, a block up from the bike trail crossing, they have sacks of beans strewn about, and a sophisticated computer operated grinder/roaster machine on the floor.  So far, I've only tried the medium or dark roast coffees (I'm not into the fancy concoctions) and every cup has been outstanding.  This is the real deal.  They even offer an authentic Kona coffee for $4.50 a cup.  Also, variations of brewing methods such as hand pressed for a premium over regular brews.  They have a wide variety of tea offerings as well.

Vienna is a bit of an oasis of independents in what can otherwise be the bland and corporate suburbs, and I put this right up there with Cenan's Bakery http://www.cenansbakery.com/ as top Vienna culinary attractions.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #131: April 29, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »
Another bottler getting rid of high-fructose corn syrup in favour of real sugar: Tradewinds iced tea...currently enjoying one right now (lemon tea)...just plain tasty.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #132: June 11, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
We had a Memorial day party a bit back and had a left over bag of ice.  One diet soda I like is Crush Orange.  I decided to pour a can into my beer mug filled with ice.

Oh sweet Jesus have mercy

I've been buying bags of ice now :lol:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #133: June 11, 2011, 07:46:54 AM »
Diet IBC root beer is good too!

Offline Revere7

• stay positive.
« Reply #134: June 11, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »
Surge used to be a big favorite of mine when I was a teen.  Mostly because I loved the Slimer green color and, at the time, I thought this dumbass commercial was profoundly awesome:

I'm thinking their "loaded with carbs!" motto was what caused the demise of the beverage. That and, IIRC, it didn't actually taste that great.  But I still miss it anyway.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #135: June 11, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »
Oh man, remember crystal Pepsi?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #136: June 11, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »
Surge used to be a big favorite of mine when I was a teen.  Mostly because I loved the Slimer green color and, at the time, I thought this dumbass commercial was profoundly awesome:

I'm thinking their "loaded with carbs!" motto was what caused the demise of the beverage. That and, IIRC, it didn't actually taste that great.  But I still miss it anyway.

Rather liked it myself when it went on the market in 1997...also its even shorter-lived successor Citra (and do they still sell Vault?). Try as they may, the Coca-Cola Company just can't seem to dent Mountain Dew's dominant share of the citrus-beverage sector.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #137: June 11, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »
Citra was awesome.  It was rebranded to Fanta Citrus and now Fanta Grapefruit.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #138: June 11, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »
Citra was awesome.  It was rebranded to Fanta Citrus and now Fanta Grapefruit.

Old Fresca!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #139: June 12, 2011, 11:12:58 AM »
I don't know if they still make it, but Vault was the Surge formula under a different name.

As previously said, Coke just can't get their response to Mt. Dew to sell well.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #140: June 12, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
I really enjoy Boylan Sodas on tap. I tried it at Taylor Gourmet. I wish I could find that soda someplace more places. :mg:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #141: June 12, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »
RC Cola is the greatest 'coke' in my humble opinion (shoppers is the only store that consistently stocks it), but this stuff is my new favorite

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #142: June 12, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »
My name is David and I'm a Coke Zero addict.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #143: June 12, 2011, 04:51:02 PM »
Diet orange Crush is really good.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #144: June 12, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »
My name is David and I'm a Coke Zero addict.

At least you arent a store brand coke zero head like I am. I'm poor for the next 3 months.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #145: June 12, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »
I don't follow. What's a store brand?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #146: June 12, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »

:shrug:

for instance

Offline Nathan

« Reply #147: June 12, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »
AKA generic.  Like Food Lion has its own brand, Wegman's has its own brand, etc.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #148: June 12, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »
AKA generic.  Like Food Lion has its own brand, Wegman's has its own brand, etc.

Then there's off brand, like Guaranteed Value. I think Chris Rock does a bit about that.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #149: June 12, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
Ah. Right.

Nope, nothing but Coke brand for me!