Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 54062 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #225: October 14, 2009, 09:16:51 PM »
I love how Windows 7 can create it's own disk image (.vhd file) for you. No more fooling around with Ghost or any other cloning software. You just put in a CD and create an install disc and store the image on an external hard drive and you are set.

Offline PC

« Reply #226: October 14, 2009, 09:18:35 PM »
K - no Media Player
N - no IE
KN - no WMP, AND no IE.

Actually N is the no media player, K is the no instant messenger.  I'm not sure what KN doesn't have.  I've downloaded it but haven't installed it.

Also, the N version excludes more than the media player.  Microsoft has a "Media Restore Pack" download to add the things in N that aren't included.  That download is 128MB so it obviously includes more than the media player.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #227: October 14, 2009, 09:18:47 PM »
I love how Windows 7 can create it's own disk image (.vhd file) for you. No more fooling around with Ghost or any other cloning software. You just put in a CD and create an install disc and store the image on an external hard drive and you are set.

Wait...  what exactly are you doing?  Last time I tried Vista/7's backup method, it was many files.  VHD's aren't for backups as far as I understand, though they can certainly be useful for other tasks.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #228: October 14, 2009, 09:19:39 PM »
Actually N is the no media player, K is the no instant messenger.  I'm not sure what KN doesn't have.  I've downloaded it but haven't installed it.

Also, the N version excludes more than the media player.  Microsoft has a "Media Restore Pack" download to add the things in N that aren't included.  That download is 128MB so it obviously includes more than the media player.

Yeah you're right, I was mixing up IE in there because of the EU's stupid browser balloting mandate.  Korea balking at Windows Messenger makes me laugh.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #229: October 14, 2009, 09:19:44 PM »
It's much easier (and usually faster) to install 7 from a USB flash drive.  All that's required is to format the drive in Vista or 7, create a partition, set that partition active (Vista/7 diskpart can be used for this) then copy all files to the root of the flash device.  This makes removing/restoring/editing the sources\ei.cfg file much more convenient.

Care to explain how?  I might do a fresh install tonight on the MBP, might try that method.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #230: October 14, 2009, 09:27:36 PM »
You can just follow the commands in the attached image.

Two things to note:

1) this MUST be done under Vista or 7.

2) take EXTREME care that you select the correct disk as "clean" does exactly what the name implies - completely cleans the disk.  No more partition, no more data, the disk even has to be re-initialized.

Once you've done everything in the attached image, simply copy the files from the Win 7 disc/image to the root of the device and boot from it.  I can't say if this will work with Macs or not, but it has never failed for me on any PC.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #231: October 14, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »
Wait...  what exactly are you doing?  Last time I tried Vista/7's backup method, it was many files.  VHD's aren't for backups as far as I understand, though they can certainly be useful for other tasks.
I haven't tried it out yet but I'm sure it works. Windows Vista's back-up contained many files and wasn't a disk image. It copied all of your files but you still had to re-install all of your programs and settings.

I am hoping that with Windows 7, .vhd will work like a Norton Ghost image file where when you re-image a drive it is the entire image. Settings, files, programs, etc. The whole thing. You stick in a blank CD and it creates a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit recovery disk for you. You would use this along with your external drive where your system image is to re-image your drive.

The .vhd file I made of my main PC was like 48 GB. It has a few other files in that folder I think but the .vhd file is the main file.

I don't know a lot about .vhd files because at work we use ghost (.gho) but it seems like it will work.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #232: October 14, 2009, 09:31:30 PM »
I've always preferred Acronis TrueImage myself, but if what you describe is correct, that would be a handy way to keep emergency backups.  Have you ever considered partitioning your drive to separate the OS and programs from the rest of the data so as to keep your images smaller?

Not sure if you knew or not, but VHD files can be mounted as normal drives with Disk Management (start > run > diskmgmt.msc).  Handy way to pull data from an existing image if you need it.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #233: October 14, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »
You can just follow the commands in the attached image.

Two things to note:

1) this MUST be done under Vista or 7.

2) take EXTREME care that you select the correct disk as "clean" does exactly what the name implies - completely cleans the disk.  No more partition, no more data, the disk even has to be re-initialized.

Once you've done everything in the attached image, simply copy the files from the Win 7 disc/image to the root of the device and boot from it.  I can't say if this will work with Macs or not, but it has never failed for me on any PC.
Ok, it seems like just copying the files from the iso onto the flash drive.  I thought there was some other steps that might be needed.  I don't see why I can't do it on the OS X side, I'll try tonight.  Should just be a matter of opening up Disk Utility, and wiping the drive to have 1 FAT32 partition.

Offline PC

« Reply #234: October 14, 2009, 09:35:56 PM »
MANY!

I actually do have more than a few pcs but I use they each serve a different purpose and a few of them are multi-boots.  If the purpose that I'm doing for a specific install for is general enough, I could install any version of any of the OSs (XP, Vista and now 7).

For example, the computer I use for "general" computing was Vista Home Premium x86, up to few days ago, until I clean installed 7 Ultimate x86.  Another computer, I use for "development" which is a quad-boot, Vista Home Basic, XP Professional, Vista Business and 7 Professional (all x64).

That's five on two computers.

...and I have more.   8)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #235: October 14, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »
Ok, it seems like just copying the files from the iso onto the flash drive.  I thought there was some other steps that might be needed.  I don't see why I can't do it on the OS X side, I'll try tonight.  Should just be a matter of opening up Disk Utility, and wiping the drive to have 1 FAT32 partition.

It has to be the active partition, and when formatting the device under XP or Linux, this doesn't work.  So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it won't on Mac either.  But then again, I could be wrong.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #236: October 14, 2009, 09:38:07 PM »
I actually do have more than a few pcs but I use they each serve a different purpose and a few of them are multi-boots.  If the purpose that I'm doing for a specific install for is general enough, I could install any version of any of the OSs (XP, Vista and now 7).

For example, the computer I use for "general" computing was Vista Home Premium x86, up to few days ago, until I clean installed 7 Ultimate x86.  Another computer, I use for "development" which is a quad-boot, Vista Home Basic, XP Professional, Vista Business and 7 Professional (all x64).

That's five on two computers.

...and I have more.   8)

I sold all my spare crap and built one really AWESOME machine :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #237: October 14, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »
I've always preferred Acronis TrueImage myself, but if what you describe is correct, that would be a handy way to keep emergency backups.  Have you ever considered partitioning your drive to separate the OS and programs from the rest of the data so as to keep your images smaller?

Not sure if you knew or not, but VHD files can be mounted as normal drives with Disk Management (start > run > diskmgmt.msc).  Handy way to pull data from an existing image if you need it.
interesting.

is it possible for me to partition my drive into like 3 partitions and have vista, xp, and 7 (each one on a different partition)?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #238: October 14, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »
how so? why is it really awesome?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #239: October 14, 2009, 09:42:26 PM »
interesting.

is it possible for me to partition my drive into like 3 partitions and have vista, xp, and 7 (each one on a different partition)?

Assuming you have a large enough drive that it doesn't "cramp your style", yes.  You'd need to basically start from scratch though...  Install XP, then install Vista, then install 7.  I'd recommend just running 7 and keeping XP in a VM though, unless there's some pressing reason why you really need to use it natively.  I can't see any real benefits for running Vista AND 7 on the same machine.

Offline PC

« Reply #240: October 14, 2009, 09:44:54 PM »

I've thought doing that.  I look around and say if I'd not bought that cpu and that motherboard and that RAM...I could have one or two great computers instead of a lot more good ones! :icon_mrgreen:

Also, if I have extra stuff, I always want to use it!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #241: October 14, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »
Assuming you have a large enough drive that it doesn't "cramp your style", yes.  You'd need to basically start from scratch though...  Install XP, then install Vista, then install 7.  I'd recommend just running 7 and keeping XP in a VM though, unless there's some pressing reason why you really need to use it natively.  I can't see any real benefits for running Vista AND 7 on the same machine.
yeah i don't plan on doing it. was just throwing it out there. there is no need.

i have windows 7 pro (64 bit) on my main machine. and on my old gateway laptop that i bought a new 80 gb hard drive for a few weeks ago (the old drive stopped working) I had initially installed XP Pro but then put Vista Enterprise on it.

i have working VMs (XP Pro and Linux Fedora) that I made for a class this semester.

thats pretty much all i need.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #242: October 14, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »
Check this beast out (circa 2004)

And don't ask about the candles, I have no idea :lol:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #243: October 14, 2009, 09:54:57 PM »
Holy cow, it looks like you can even get Windows 3.1 from technet!  Really?  That is AWESOME! :lol:

I don't know why, but I'd love to have a Win 3.11 VM on my Mac.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #244: October 14, 2009, 09:59:25 PM »
Check this beast out (circa 2004)

And don't ask about the candles, I have no idea :lol:
does it still work?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #245: October 14, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »
does it still work?

No I smashed it a long time ago.  That picture is from 2004.  The husk and parts that "computer" was made out of were of varying ages.  CPU was an Athlon 1400, some crappy motherboard, a Radeon 9700 Pro, random RAM, HDD, and other parts I had laying around.  The "case" was actually from a mod project I had done and later abandoned.  You can see where I (poorly) cut out a fan hole in the front.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #246: October 14, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
I found a few promo codes that are working for the TechNet Download only subscription, takes the price from $349 to $261.75 (25% off).  Damn good deal for all the software.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #247: October 14, 2009, 10:18:32 PM »
I found a few promo codes that are working for the TechNet Download only subscription, takes the price from $349 to $261.75 (25% off).  darn good deal for all the software.

Yeah that's the same deal I got on mine.

Offline PC

« Reply #248: October 14, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
Yeah that's the same deal I got on mine.

Me too.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #249: October 14, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »
Me too.
I tried a few that claimed to be for $100 off, but all seem to just be the 25% ($87.25 off).  Not that big a deal, but $100 off would be great.