Author Topic: Fightin' Words  (Read 4128 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Fightin' Words
« Reply #25: October 03, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »
Where did you hear that?  Just curious...

Someone needs to post THST "fire them all" Star Trek jif.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #26: October 03, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »
On Twitter and Nats Insider . Some guy named Perlozzo, the hitting coach (Gross)  and I think the bench coach (Mackanin). A tweet from Jeff Passan.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: October 03, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #28: October 03, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »
Let's do a run-down position by position:

1B. LaRoche>Freeman>Howard>Davis>Lee
2B. Espinosa>Uggla>Utley>Who plays for the Marlins (Solano?)> Who plays for the Mess(Turner or Murphy?)
SS. Desmond>Simmons>Tejada>Rollins>Some Marlin
3B. Wright>Zimmerman>Chipper>Frandsen>Some Marlin
LF.  Prado>Morse>Lomo>Juan Pierre(LOL)>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jason Bay
CF.  Harper>Bourn>Bonerfacio>Mayberry>Torres
RF.  Stanton>Heyward>Werth>Duda>Brown
C.  Ruiz>McCann>Ramos>Thole>Buck

Pitching probably has Starters best for Nats and RP is a wash between Braves and Nats.

IMO, Phillies have lots of holes to fix.  Ruf looks very good, but the league may figure him out.  Tons of power, bad defender.  Not going to move Howard, so in order to claim a spot, he needs to learn LF.

Chipper is retiring

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #29: October 03, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »
Someone please photoshop Jimmy Rollins' face onto this fox.  :lmao:

(Image removed from quote.)

If you insist...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #30: October 03, 2012, 08:39:10 PM »
:crackup:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #31: October 03, 2012, 08:40:52 PM »
LOL

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #32: October 03, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »
RDG... thanks :lmao: :lmao:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #33: October 03, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »
On my ride back home, I chatted with a Philly fan at a stoplight about the change of fortunes in the NL East. Dude didn't even stage a rebuttal when I asked him what promise they had for next season. Dude just kind of shrugged his shoulders and said "it was fun while it lasted."

Online Mattionals

« Reply #34: October 03, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
Chipper is retiring

I just looked at this year.  Next year I expect Prado to play 3B everyday and the Braves go and try and sign a LF, possibly someone like Hamilton.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #35: October 03, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »
I just looked at this year.  Next year I expect Prado to play 3B everyday and the Braves go and try and sign a LF, possibly someone like Hamilton.

I don't see anyway they spend that kind of money on anyone

Online Mattionals

« Reply #36: October 03, 2012, 10:14:45 PM »
I don't see anyway they spend that kind of money on anyone

Liberty Media (I think that is who owns the Barves) probably won't go over 100 Mil, but lots of players high salaries will come off the books.  No more Derek Lowe. No more Chipper Jones. McCann has a 500 K club option. Huddy a 1 Mil club option.  Bourn walks.  Non-tender for Jurrjens.  This accounts for lots of money.

It's likely that the Braves lock up McCann.  Heyward is Arb eligible and will get a nice pay bump.  Prado bumps up decently as well.  I can see 15 Mil between those two right there and add maybe 10 for McCann.  When all is said and done, they probably free up close to 20-25 million in payroll, just enough for Hamilton.  I think they are stubborn enough to not attempt to get pitching since they put lots of stock in their "kids".  Kimbrel and Freeman are both pre-arb so their salaries don't jump too much.

Online blue911

« Reply #37: October 03, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »
Hudson and McCann options are termination dollars. They are on the hook for over $20M if they want to keep them.

Online blue911

« Reply #38: October 03, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »
On Twitter and Nats Insider . Some guy named Perlozzo, the hitting coach (Gross)  and I think the bench coach (Mackanin). A tweet from Jeff Passan.

That Perlozzo guy used to be Davey's right hand man.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #39: October 03, 2012, 10:29:27 PM »

Wasn't he the sorry sack that got fired in Baltimore (but they kept stringing him along) and everyone was laughing about it before it happened?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #40: October 03, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »
SS. Desmond>Simmons>Tejada>Rollins>Some Marlin

That "some marlin" shortstop would be jose reyes and he is the 2nd best shortstop in the division.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #41: October 03, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »
Where did you hear that?  Just curious...

Hardball talk via bleacher report

Why are Philly Media and players such a bunch of whiners?

Some blogger or sportscaster complains that our broadcasters are unprofessional for cheering our team.
They complain and boo their former player because he didnt throw a baseball to kids because the drunks behind him would have gotten the ball.
They cheer when one of our players gets hurt and boo when one of ours win an award!
Their state senator wants to dictate how we do business by threatning lawsuits
Their pitcher overturns an umpires call 2 weeks after to inflate his own stats to the detriment of a team mate!

The Os had used 52 different players this year and nearly won the east.
We had injuries to 3 catchers, our 3rd basemen, our outfielders and still won th east
We honor the death of their sportscaster.

Quit yer whinin! 

Online blue911

« Reply #42: October 03, 2012, 10:33:59 PM »
Wasn't he the sorry sack that got fired in Baltimore (but they kept stringing him along) and everyone was laughing about it before it happened?

Yep. He and Leo Mazzone grew up in the same town in western MD.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #43: October 03, 2012, 10:42:41 PM »
I see more opportunities for Cleveland and possibly Boston

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #44: October 03, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »
I like what Rollins had to say. After listening to Acta roll over and kiss butt, it's nice to hear some fighting spirit. Right or wrong, at least Jimmy isn't about to give it up without a fight.

Eh, there's fighting spirit and then there's sour grapes bullcrap.  He could have said "we're just as talented as they are and we're going to come back and kick their ass next year" without being a little nag about it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #45: October 03, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
Eh, there's fighting spirit and then there's sour grapes bullcrap.  He could have said "we're just as talented as they are and we're going to come back and kick their ass next year" without being a little nag about it.

+1

Online Mattionals

« Reply #46: October 03, 2012, 11:39:18 PM »
That "some marlin" shortstop would be jose reyes and he is the 2nd best shortstop in the division.

Wow, I honestly forgot he even played there.  Slipped my mind.  Please make that correction along with I gave the NL RF SS to Heyward when it should go to Stanton.  Man, those Marlins with all their fancy flamboyant colors and I still forget they are there, you know, last.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #47: October 04, 2012, 06:47:36 AM »

Perlozzo used to manage GWU's baseball team

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #48: October 04, 2012, 07:05:58 AM »

Sam Perlozzo was third base coach for the '86 Mets. A dignified part of Davey's first great team.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #49: October 04, 2012, 07:17:10 AM »
I don't think anyone has postlated this on WNFF. What would our record be if we had Morse for 50 additional games, Werth for an additional three months ( and a return with power) Desmond for 25 more games,Zimmerman playing hurt after his DL stint , a month more of Harper, Storen for over half the seasaon? Did I forget someone.......oh yeah losing our starting catcher for the season after one month.

Rollins doesn't know crap.

I thought about this. Putting the same idea in reverse:

If Morse had been out for another month, the Nats would still have won. If Werth had not returned until August 31, the Nats would still have won. If Desmond had been out for two months -- considering that he played hurt for a long time -- the Nats would still have won. Probably same record. Moore, Bernadina, and Lombo are that good.

Rollins comment should re mind us that no other team is as deep as the Nats. Think of the positions the way a football team would:

C: Ramos, Flores, Suzuki, Leon, Solanno.

1B: LaRoche, Moore, Morse

2B: Espi, Lombo

SS: Desmond, Espi, (DeRosa??)

3B: Zimmerman, Tracy (didn't know Tracy could make those plays, and Zimm is the closest to The One Guy who can't be replaced)

OF: any combination of Morse, Harper, Werth, Bernadina, Moore (plus Lombo)