Author Topic: Balester to depart Syracuse, convert to reliever  (Read 18193 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I don't understand why the need for Lannan to have to pitch in the minors. He said his elbow felt funny and he didn't think he was finishing his pitches. Fine. Now he's missed a turn and he'll either prove that he's okay or he'll end up on the DL. Sending him down would only serve to humiliate the guy for no reason. George Steinbrenner was famous for that sort of crap.

Thanks Blue.  I've been expressing the same bewilderment with PA's position for a couple of days.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
besides the fact that Balester was getting pounded to the tune of an 11.57 ERA and a 2.381 WHIP against AAAA hitters as a starter, he's always had trouble pitching from the stretch. does not bode well for relieving.

I'm not so sure that "He throws harder" really means anything at this point.

I have my doubts about him as a reliever, but I am hoping for the best. Converting him is a better option than leaving him to get embarassed for the rest of the season as a starter.

Online sportsfan882

I completely agree with everything JMad has said. :clap:

This is a last ditch effort to save Balester's career.

Offline JMW IV

Thanks Blue.  I've been expressing the same bewilderment with PA's position for a couple of days.

PA has drunk ALL the kool-aid, he didn't leave any for us.

He's in WIN THE WORLD SERIES RIGHT NOW mode, 30 games into the season.

Offline JMW IV

basically this.  I hope it works, cause Balester is a cool dude.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
The team needs every win it can get till Strasburg and Co. arrive. Divisional wins are worth more than any other win because they help with tiebreakers and add to the loss column of opponents. I just don't think there's a game to give up. The Nats have hung in against the Tommy Hansons and Josh Johnsons, there are no throwaways. That's all I'm saying. I said a quick hook is an acceptable alternative. I still have a pit in my stomach from John "Guaranteed Loss in the 2nd" Patterson getting the ball every 5 days when he should have been pulled from the rotation.

The other argument I've had against Lannan is that if Stammen and Livo are pitching better than he is when the rotation gets crowded, you can't be sentimental, you keep the best staff you can.

I also stated that I took a strong position on this to stir discussion because no one else took this absolute position. I also praised him several times. JMad is a master of mindfacts, so whatevs.

Offline JMW IV

I think Lannan has earned the right to try and work out his problems and/or prove that he is not seriously hurt. and if he can't do that within the next 3-4 starts, then send him to the DL, and/or replace him with Strasburg when it is time. we are thirty games into the season, and Lannan has been our most reliable pitcher for years. I think he's earned a little benefit of the doubt, and I don't think we should be demoting him after 6 starts, when we really don't have a suitable option yet anyway. yes Strasburg, but we all know he isn't coming until June. period.

Just because we are above .500 for once does not mean we stop exercising patience with our most reliable players.

that's my official opinion on the matter.

you know...if Balester didn't SUCK ASS we could probably afford to bring him up for Lannan if it ever came to that.

Offline aspenbubba

Is someone replacing him in the Syracuse rotation?
Matt Chico

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
I completely agree with everything JMad has said. :clap:

Well, here we go. Balester, being 23 years old, is ready for a fresh change from a starter to the bullpen. I will be with him this week in Viera. He is in very good spirits and the Nats have told him he is still considered a starter but his chances to make it into the bigs this year will be out of the pen quicker that in the rotation. Bally has less than two years to go and then the Nats either let him go or offer him arbitration. With his strong arm and no injuriy history he is a very valuable " Clippard" type of guy within the organization. Can you imagine if the Nats have two guys in Clip and Bally to rotate in the pen in the 7th - 8th innings? Go to Storen or Capps as closers. The Nats know what they are doing. Build from within , for less money. In Balester they have a 7 year Vet within the organization. We all wish the best for him. He is a fans, player. He loves the game and he loves the Fans. A good guy with great stuff, no injuries. He might have been a case of being "thrown to the wolves" a little too early in his carreer but that started the arb clock ticking so the Nats needed to make this move. Too many teams know about Balester and his talents and they would be chomping at the bit if he ever gets " let go".
 We think it is a great move for Collin, Ashley and the Nats organization. We all appreciate everyones support during this transition period.
 Go Collin! Go Nats!   Spinman

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
With his strong arm and no injuriy history he is a very valuable " Clippard" type of guy within the organization. Can you imagine if the Nats have two guys in Clip and Bally to rotate in the pen in the 7th - 8th innings? Go to Storen or Capps as closers.

Hopefully they don't yell at YOU for saying it, but when I say it, they freak out :lol:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
PA has drunk ALL the kool-aid, he didn't leave any for us.

He's in WIN THE WORLD SERIES RIGHT NOW mode, 30 games into the season.

So you're saying they should put Lannan in a position to sink the team's playoff chances just because their start has been surprising?

Oh, ok... :?

Offline JMW IV

Hopefully they don't yell at YOU for saying it, but when I say it, they freak out :lol:

nobody's freaking out. except you, in regards to Lannan.

sorry Spinner, i just don't see Balester as a late-inning guy that we trust to get important outs to lock down games in the near future. naturally this could change depending on how he takes to relieving.

I do think he could be an effective reliever eventually though, and I sincerely hope this works out for him. there is definitely space on the 25-man for a hard-throwing reliever who can get outs without walking the entire world first.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
We look at the big picture. When Bally is 25 to 26 years old and my daughter's cooking puts 20 more pounds on Collin he will be throwing heat at 97-99 mph and he will be strong enough to compete with Storen and Capps for the closers role. :shock: All we know now is that with Rizzo at the helm at least the guys know what plan the club has for them. You must produce, within a reasonable timeframe or they will let you go. Nothing wrong with that. I think every player would like to know his role then try and perfect that role . It certainly makes sense to me. :old:

Offline houston-nat

Spinman, you're awesome and I'm so glad we have you. Glad we have Bally, too. I feel like part of it is that it's my nature to accept whatever happens and find the silver linings; I never think of myself as having problems because I don't think about them, just accept the challenge. Love Bally's mentality, then. :) So the optimist in me always sympathizes with you and Bally, and the way that you guys look at life, and the optimist in me wants the best things to happen to y'all. They will. This is gonna be good! :)

Oops, almost forgot to ask a question about a squid.

Offline JMW IV

So you're saying they should put Lannan in a position to sink the team's playoff chances just because their start has been surprising?

Oh, ok... :?

no. I am saying that its still too early. if he says he isn't hurt, then give him 3 more starts to prove it and fix what is wrong with him. i think he's earned that much. if he can't do that, then send him to the DL if he is really hurt, or to the minors if he is not.

i don't think he can sink our playoff chances within the next 3 starts, especially if the other pitching holds up.

I don't believe that we should start immediately dumping everyone who has 2 or 3 bad games in a row just because we are above .500 after 30 games. people are acting like there aren't 130 more games to go.

Marathon. not sprint.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
You guys know me by now that some of my statements are tongue in Cheek. But a lot of our expectations for Collin are for him to be in the bigs for a long time. When will that be??? God, Collin and the Nats know when that will be.

Offline NatsDad14

I love Spinman. He can turn any situation into a positive situation in his mind.

• pissy DC sports fan
no. I am saying that its still too early. if he says he isn't hurt, then give him 3 more starts to prove it and fix what is wrong with him. i think he's earned that much.

Bullcrap!  You're being just as much of a thoughtless sap as PANats.  Nobody "earns" crap when it comes to being allowed to crap the bed at the ML level.

You go to the minors, prove your arm is right, and then come back up and pitch at the big league level.

Enough of this irrational worry about "slighting" him or whatever.  It's nonsense.  The guy is a professional.

Marathon. not sprint.

Using this mentality to justify bad outings early in the year is faulty.  Just because it's early in the season doesn't mean the games don't count.  Just ask the '09 Tigers if they wished they had won an extra game in May.

There's this idea that the games mean more in September because they're for the playoffs, but all games count the same.  The only difference is the amount of pressure.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
4 bad starts, Knorr.  Speaking of not putting much thought into it...

Did anyone look up his first 6 starts from last year like I suggested? :|

Offline JMW IV

Bullcrap!  You're being just as much of a thoughtless sap as PANats.  Nobody "earns" crap when it comes to being allowed to crap the bed at the ML level.

You go to the minors, prove your arm is right, and then come back up and pitch at the big league level.

Enough of this irrational worry about "slighting" him or whatever.  It's nonsense.  The guy is a professional.

ok cool, so when Capps blows 2 saves in a row, we should demote him immediately. got it.

• pissy DC sports fan
4 bad starts, Knorr.  Speaking of not putting much thought into it...

Did anyone look up his first 6 starts from last year like I suggested? :|

4 bad starts due to injury, which he has yet to prove he's gotten over by facing live batters in a competitive situation.

What do his first 6 starts last year have to do with anything?

Offline NatsDad14

Those same people thought we should have dumped Olsen after 2 starts. freak them and their over-reactionary kneejerk responses. They are making SF look rational.

• pissy DC sports fan
ok cool, so when Capps blows 2 saves in a row, we should demote him immediately. got it.

Capps isn't freaking injured >:(

Offline JMW IV

Those same people thought we should have dumped Olsen after 2 starts. freak them and their over-reactionary kneejerk responses. They are making SF look rational.

this.

• pissy DC sports fan
freak them and their over-reactionary kneejerk responses.