Author Topic: Tigers sign Willis to three-year extension  (Read 1021 times)

natsfan1a

Tigers sign Willis to three-year extension
« Topic Start: December 20, 2007, 06:15:51 PM »
So it sounds like he won't be testing free agency after 2008. Would have liked to see him become a Nat some day.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071220&content_id=2334763&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Tigers sign Willis to three-year extension
« Reply #1: December 20, 2007, 06:46:46 PM »
So it sounds like he won't be testing free agency after 2008. Would have liked to see him become a Nat some day.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071220&content_id=2334763&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

This trade looks MUCH smarter now. Trading two maybes and a few possiblies for 2 definites - one of which is locked up for 3 years, is a pretty good deal.

I guess having the most talent on your team causes FA's to want to sign with you.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: December 20, 2007, 06:48:04 PM »
I think it still remains to be seen if Willis will, over the long run, be what people think he is.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: December 21, 2007, 07:56:02 AM »
I think it still remains to be seen if Willis will, over the long run, be what people think he is.

I think there is some doubt after last season, but I would WAY more rather have Willis for 3 years at $29m, versus Silva at 4 years and $44m. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #4: December 21, 2007, 08:10:55 AM »
I think there is some doubt after last season, but I would WAY more rather have Willis for 3 years at $29m, versus Silva at 4 years and $44m. 

Accorind to MLBTradeRumors.com, that's 48m! Yikes!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: December 21, 2007, 08:23:47 AM »
I did a quick comparison this week of Silva to Shawn Hill, as a benchmark of just how good Silva is.  I have a pretty good feel for how Shawn pitches and was just trying to gather some information on Silva.  I found that last season, he was not quite as effective as Shawn (based on VORP comparison), though of course he pitched circa 202 innings vs. < 100 for Hill.  And Shawn's effectiveness was dampened by the injuries.  So I would say that Silva is a good pitcher, nice middle of the rotation guy, but 4 x $12m? 

Some of our young pitchers have to licking their chops!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #6: December 21, 2007, 08:36:46 AM »
I did a quick comparison this week of Silva to Shawn Hill, as a benchmark of just how good Silva is.  I have a pretty good feel for how Shawn pitches and was just trying to gather some information on Silva.  I found that last season, he was not quite as effective as Shawn (based on VORP comparison), though of course he pitched circa 202 innings vs. < 100 for Hill.  And Shawn's effectiveness was dampened by the injuries.  So I would say that Silva is a good pitcher, nice middle of the rotation guy, but 4 x $12m? 

Some of our young pitchers have to licking their chops!

I would hope to see similar results from Clippard - with less than 1% the price tag.

natsfan1a

« Reply #7: December 21, 2007, 09:11:56 AM »

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #8: January 03, 2008, 12:31:56 PM »
I have a theory with regards to Willis going to Detroit -- I think Detroit only asked for Cabrerra, and the Marlins insisted the deal be expanded to include Willis.  Willis is on the downturn, and the Marlins did not want to pay him.  I think Detroit is taking a gamble on extending him, even at what appears to be a bargain rate.

Many commentators, especially the propeller heads at Baseball Prospectus, could not understand why Detroit was giving away top notch pitching prospects to take Willis.  I think the Marlins drove the deal.  I'm not a betting man, but I predict that Willis will be a bust with Detroit.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: January 03, 2008, 05:42:36 PM »
I have a theory with regards to Willis going to Detroit -- I think Detroit only asked for Cabrerra, and the Marlins insisted the deal be expanded to include Willis.  Willis is on the downturn, and the Marlins did not want to pay him.  I think Detroit is taking a gamble on extending him, even at what appears to be a bargain rate.

Many commentators, especially the propeller heads at Baseball Prospectus, could not understand why Detroit was giving away top notch pitching prospects to take Willis.  I think the Marlins drove the deal.  I'm not a betting man, but I predict that Willis will be a bust with Detroit.

Our resident Marlins expert (Natsaddict) asserts that there is nothing wrong with Willis that a decent catcher and a competent pitching coach can't fix with just a little tune up. I have no way to judge the pitching coach, but their catching WAS horrendous.  Willis was afraid to really throw his curve across the outside of the plate ( to a left handed hitter) because the catcher might not be able to catch up with the ball.  So groove it instead.

Plus the Marlins had a very depressing environment, and a change of scenery might provide additional motivation, if any were necessary.  So in short, I'll take the other side of your non-bet, and say that I bet Willis is successful in Detroit.