Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Jeff Kobernus, 2B  (Read 18562 times)

Offline RobRyan

• Radio Voice of the VT LM
Re: Follow the Prospects: Jeff Kobernus, 2B
« Reply #25: June 22, 2010, 10:03:48 AM »
It was at Centennial.  lol 

Helicoptered it down the 3rd base line over the dugout.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: July 12, 2010, 05:38:09 PM »
Been a while since anyone posted.  Seems he's picked things up the last 10 games. .302 / .348 / .419.  5 doubles.  Still striking out (10 Ks in 43 ABs).  Trouble hitting lefties.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #27: July 13, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »
I don't get what anyone sees in the guy. Looking at his numbers, he has no power, no plate discipline, average contact ability. Basically if everything clicks, he will be Cristian Guzman with Nyjer Morgan's Batting average.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #28: July 14, 2010, 09:09:47 AM »
I don't get what anyone sees in the guy. Looking at his numbers, he has no power, no plate discipline, average contact ability. Basically if everything clicks, he will be Cristian Guzman with Nyjer Morgan's Batting average.
No one is claiming Kobernus is the second coming of Cano or Utley, but the kid has 280 ABs in the minors all while battling an endless array of injuries.

Kobernus has the sort of athleticism/body type that projects to good things down the road. It's not always all about the numbers. So take a step back from the ledge and let the kid develop before you throw him on the junk pile.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #29: July 14, 2010, 11:33:17 PM »
No one is claiming Kobernus is the second coming of Cano or Utley, but the kid has 280 ABs in the minors all while battling an endless array of injuries.

Kobernus has the sort of athleticism/body type that projects to good things down the road. It's not always all about the numbers. So take a step back from the ledge and let the kid develop before you throw him on the junk pile.

Thankfully baseball people are making the decisions and exactly that is what will happen.  Can you imagine these overreactionary fantasy baseball types trading every prospect who doesn't dominate every level from day 1.  It's amazing some of them can figure out how to turn on a computer all by themselves.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: July 15, 2010, 10:04:18 AM »
Thankfully baseball people are making the decisions and exactly that is what will happen.  Can you imagine these overreactionary fantasy baseball types trading every prospect who doesn't dominate every level from day 1.  It's amazing some of them can figure out how to turn on a computer all by themselves.

Most of the fantasy people I read are pretty good at projecting prospects. Have you read any fantasy source 'giving up' or overreacting to Kobernus? Or even mentioning him, outside of a blub after he was drafted?

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #31: July 15, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »
Most of the fantasy people I read are pretty good at projecting prospects. Have you read any fantasy source 'giving up' or overreacting to Kobernus? Or even mentioning him, outside of a blub after he was drafted?

I'm talking about the idiots on here who are the kind of people in a fantasy league that trade/drop any player who goes into a slump for a week or two.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #32: July 15, 2010, 01:17:39 PM »
Kobernus is heating up :clap:

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #33: July 16, 2010, 02:16:24 AM »
Isnt he coming off an injury? i think we need to cut him slack. However, he is getting a good amount of AB's in full season , we are seeing what we should expect with him. He is heating up, I hope he shows more pop soon.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #34: July 16, 2010, 11:34:23 AM »
My dude Kobernus is batting .341 in his last 10 games :clap:

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #35: July 16, 2010, 12:13:41 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get excited about prospects with .055 ISO. To put that into perspective, that is worse than what Nyjer Morgan's and Nieves ISO are. I don't get excited for prospects with BB% that are about the same as Cristian Guzman or prospects that are actually older than the average age of batters in the league (Kobernus is 22, league average is 21.5).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #36: July 16, 2010, 12:15:36 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get excited about prospects with .055 ISO. To put that into perspective, that is worse than what Nyjer Morgan's and Nieves ISO are. I don't get excited for prospects with BB% that are about the same as Cristian Guzman or prospects that are actually older than the average age of batters in the league (Kobernus is 22, league average is 21.5).

You do realize he's young. 

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #37: July 16, 2010, 12:24:59 PM »
You do realize he's young. 
he's 22 in the Sally league. That is not exactly young. Not much time left to make an impression.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #38: July 16, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »
he's 22 in the Sally league. That is not exactly young. Not much time left to make an impression.

okay SportsFan.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #39: July 16, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »

You don't understand. He is coming off an injury and its his first stint in long season ball. He didnt even get 50 at bats in short season, so basically, it's like translating from college to long season ball. He is getting hot, so it's normal he has struggled in his debut.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #40: July 16, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »
You don't understand. He is coming off an injury and its his first stint in long season ball. He didnt even get 50 at bats in short season, so basically, it's like translating from college to long season ball. He is getting hot, so it's normal he has struggled in his debut.

You're fighting a losing battle.  There's a handful here that are incapable of understanding even the most basic concepts of player development.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #41: July 16, 2010, 02:55:25 PM »
You're fighting a losing battle.  There's a handful here that are incapable of understanding even the most basic concepts of player development.

Also keep in mind it is easier to say they won't work out than they will workout. I believe won't workout has a 90% chance of being right and even those that make it to the majors might not be good major leaguers.

People also tend to forget that good prospects are pretty much a rookie every year. Why should an A ball rookie get any less slack than a major league rookie?(rhetorical)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: July 16, 2010, 03:04:17 PM »
People also tend to forget that good prospects are pretty much a rookie every year. Why should an A ball rookie get any less slack than a major league rookie?(rhetorical)

Because major league rookies are playing against major leaguers where are prospects are playing against other prospects? I think 'work out' would have a higher success rate for prospects (i.e. guys who are predicted to succeed from the beginning not 20th round filler) in some systems. Nats fans have seen enough hype followed by flameout to be more sceptical than most, and the successes we have seen have rocketed through the farm system. Once the teams starts regularly producing major leaguers who follow the convetional route (i.e. not the Zimmerman or Strassburg fast track), the sceptcisism will fade.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #43: July 17, 2010, 01:07:46 AM »
Kobs with a double and a walk tonight.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: April 28, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »
Jeff Kobernus has 8 SBs and 7 hits in his last 5 games.

.290/.315/.406 (69 ABs) on the season with 5 Doubles, 1 HR, 9 RBIs, 3 BBs, 9 Ks, 8 SBs, 0 CS.
I like Kobernus, but he won't survive at the higher levels unless he starts taking some more walks.  A .315 OBP at high A is nothing to write home about.  You have to love the speed on the base paths though.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #45: April 28, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »
i guess JCA has me on ignore 8)

if desmond stinks or gets traded, i want Espinosa as the SS and Kobernus at 2B.  I remember how excited I was when we drafted him ... saw him a bunch of times on TV @ Cal.

Oh trust me, I wasn't advocating he was ready for the bigs this year.  He needs plenty of work.  I'm just glad he's finally healthy where he can be penciled in the line-up card day after day.  Unlike previous years, he was always banged up.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: April 28, 2011, 02:13:27 PM »
Why is it that the reply count on this thread says 45, but the last one I see before this is #44?

I didn't want to lift every post into this thread, but I thought the stat update and the assessment of the weak point in it were worth posting here.  I almost pulled up the point about being int he line up card forward, too

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #47: April 28, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »
Why is it that the reply count on this thread says 45, but the last one I see before this is #44?

I didn't want to lift every post into this thread, but I thought the stat update and the assessment of the weak point in it were worth posting here.  I almost pulled up the point about being int he line up card forward, too

:lmao: :clap: :rofl:

good work my friend

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: May 10, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »
The curse of SF, I guess.  Since 4/30, Kobernus has had 5 O'fers in his last 10 games.  .135 / .200 / .162, 5 for 37, with 2 BB and 9 Ks.  Pluses?  4 steals, giving him 13 in 14 attempts.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #49: May 10, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »
The curse of SF, I guess.  Since 4/30, Kobernus has had 5 O'fers in his last 10 games.  .135 / .200 / .162, 5 for 37, with 2 BB and 9 Ks.  Pluses?  4 steals, giving him 13 in 14 attempts.

Those guys read these threads, get all full of themselves (or starting suffering constrictitus of the esophegus) and start the downward spiral.

I only halfway jest - I'm virtually certain that the english speaking players read this forum, or Google their name and find us that way, or both.